• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Done ALL my exams and finished orgo with a bang! Don't you love it when everything you studied shows up on the exam and everything you didn't doesn't? My stupid Canada in Comparative Perspective will drop my GPA big time though - who wants to learn about Canadian politics anyways, hmmph.

Once you start getting into calculus and integration, Math will cease to become a science and more art. Which is why most of us will sop taking it.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • Yup! Colleges still have to see my final grade, though. And I guess they can rescind me if I do bad enough.

I hope they don't. :I

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • Although one could argue with partial credit, there's a lot of practical wiggle room when it comes to math in a classroom setting.
    ...how so? o_O; You're either right or you're wrong. If your teachers/markers are really nice, they'll check your steps even if you get a wrong answer and give you what marks they can, but it's not very comparable to writing analytic essays and whatnot where there's a lot of room for interpretation and opinion.

Years
  • Yeah, part marks is mostly a sign of a teacher's niceness. My Greek math teacher was rumoured to be a descendent of Pythagoras :O

Years
  • Hey, it made for plenty of inside jokes. We'd ask him several times over the course of the school year as if we've never heard his answer before XD

Years
    • Seen Mar 29, 2015
    Jeeze, seems like every time that I come here, this place is nothing more than the sound of chirping crickets.

Since we're talking about school, I've got something for this as well: What was the toughest course in your schooling that you had to take?

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    Day off of work, I'll wake up at 1145 any day... How are you guys so good at math? I have problems with 100 level math classes...

Cherrim

Years
  • Hardest course I ever took was a logic course. The content was interesting and even fun once I figured it out but the two profs teaching it were probably the worst in the whole math faculty. The TAs in tutorial really saved that course for everyone taking it. :( The profs couldn't teach to save their life, the assigned textbook was just awful, and the assignments never seemed to have anything to do with what we'd been learning. The midterm and finals were open book, too, so they were crazy hard. I'm pretty sure we found out that the median mark on the final was a fail (<50%). I'm still proud of passing that course. <_<

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    Algebra, it's the only one I ever had to repeat due to almost failing in high school. Math is not my strong subject.

Years
  • Only courses I've ever failed were related to Javascript and HTML in college. I missed one class both times with the same instructor for the two courses and that proved to be a pivotal point in where my grade went.

Took a different course with the same instructor between those two courses without missing any classes and aced it.

Algebra is a middling subject for me. I've averaged mid-to-high B's on it.

Years
    • Seen Nov 19, 2013
    I'm good at history and government, and I like it so much, that I make sure my grades are over 100 if possible. I have to retake algebra before I get any degree :(.

Years
  • ...how so? o_O; You're either right or you're wrong. If your teachers/markers are really nice, they'll check your steps even if you get a wrong answer and give you what marks they can, but it's not very comparable to writing analytic essays and whatnot where there's a lot of room for interpretation and opinion.

I'm pretty sure that is what Toujours meant by partial credit. So rather than a binary setting of Correct / Incorrect, the in between state is an incorrect answer but with some correct methods used (or maybe even trying to 'botch' a correct answer from a method that you couldn't see through to the end). hence partial marks given rather than the binary full marks or no marks.

I'm pretty good when it comes to logic, I took a logic course in my first year of university and though I was a bit slow at getting to grips with it at the beginning, I smashed the final exam and a reasonable amount of stuff I learnt in that course, I use in the present day at work, in one way or another, either directly or indirectly.

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • Wow, really? Such a lively subject guys...

I didn't really have all that much trouble with anything, subject wise.
    I hated math/algebra sometimes, if only for it's monotony.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    ...how so? o_O; You're either right or you're wrong. If your teachers/markers are really nice, they'll check your steps even if you get a wrong answer and give you what marks they can, but it's not very comparable to writing analytic essays and whatnot where there's a lot of room for interpretation and opinion.

I didn't say there was more wiggle room than essays, I said there was a lot of wiggle room, lol. As in, teachers generally don't do the "if you got the right number at the end, the steps don't matter" kind of black-and-white math that people tend to think of when they think of math, because nowadays we have calculators that can do most anything and we wouldn't need to actually learn the process.

Also having silly opinions in essays usually doesn't affect your grade in my experience. If you can back it up with logic and cite your sources, it doesn't matter what you write about, as long as it makes sense.

Years
  • Hardest course I ever took was a logic course. The content was interesting and even fun once I figured it out but the two profs teaching it were probably the worst in the whole math faculty. The TAs in tutorial really saved that course for everyone taking it. :( The profs couldn't teach to save their life, the assigned textbook was just awful, and the assignments never seemed to have anything to do with what we'd been learning. The midterm and finals were open book, too, so they were crazy hard. I'm pretty sure we found out that the median mark on the final was a fail (<50%). I'm still proud of passing that course. <_<

That seems to be the way in every school lol. My girlfriend's beast at math yet logic courses show no quarter. And computer science students have to pay higher tuition too, like ~40% more! At least GPA isn't thaat important :P

Cherrim

Years
  • I didn't say there was more wiggle room than essays, I said there was a lot of wiggle room, lol. As in, teachers generally don't do the "if you got the right number at the end, the steps don't matter" kind of black-and-white math that people tend to think of when they think of math, because nowadays we have calculators that can do most anything and we wouldn't need to actually learn the process.

Also having silly opinions in essays usually doesn't affect your grade in my experience. If you can back it up with logic and cite your sources, it doesn't matter what you write about, as long as it makes sense.
    Ah, well, I thought your wording was a bit weird because although you can get part marks if your teacher is nice, there's very much a right or a wrong answer when it comes to math, whereas in subjective subjects like many of the arts and literature, there isn't a right or wrong. So long as you explain your opinion with valid points, you can get the mark even if the marker disagrees with the opinion offered. So I generally don't consider math to have "a lot of wiggle room" just some. Sometimes. :P
    That seems to be the way in every school lol. My girlfriend's beast at math yet logic courses show no quarter. And computer science students have to pay higher tuition too, like ~40% more! At least GPA isn't thaat important :P
    :( Back in first year when my roommate was still a math student, we had the exact same courses but because I was a CS student (in the same math faculty), my tuition was about $1k more. Sigh.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back