• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest

Hi!
Years
  • Errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Unless I'm missing a joke, I really did want the current conversation to be about what I had just posted. And I wanted it met seriously, too. No jokes.

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I've seen people try to start up new conversations in the way that Dipu suggested, but it, from what I've seen, tends to be ignored. I assume that's why people ask questions- because then at least people will reply, rather than letting the DCC die out again.

I might not have been around PC long enough to see the way it should be here, though. I've been too busy lately to see what's going on around this place (aside from browsing the current page and posting once before having to leave), so I don't know if the spammy posts have escalated a lot or something.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I just know that most of the time when I've visited the DCC, the topic has been on video games, work or food. And nothing of that usually interests me enough to want to discuss it here, hence I'm not very much of a regular d:

Years
  • I often scan through the DCC to see what the topic of interest is, and typically that decides on whether or not I post in here. Back then, I used to just avoid the DCC altogether because of the randomly changing discussions, but I've warmed to that and started posting in here.

Sometimes though if I bump the DCC (after a few hours of idle time in it) I don't start a new topic, because I have found that my topic could be skipped over so I just keep the conversation of the above post going, but that's again, only if it interests me.

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I've seen people try to start up new conversations in the way that Dipu suggested, but it, from what I've seen, tends to be ignored. I assume that's why people ask questions- because then at least people will reply, rather than letting the DCC die out again.

I might not have been around PC long enough to see the way it should be here, though. I've been too busy lately to see what's going on around this place (aside from browsing the current page and posting once before having to leave), so I don't know if the spammy posts have escalated a lot or something.

Well, people should make an effort to not ignore stuff like that. This is really the simplest way I can put it: A conversation shouldn't always be handed to you (ie a question). Always look for something in a post to comment about (ie hearing something and actually commenting).

Or look at it this way. Wouldn't it be awkward if a conversation irl was one person asking questions and the other simply answering? That's pretty boring, if you ask me. And it'd die out very soon. The proper method would be to dissect the post and find something to talk about.

I just know that most of the time when I've visited the DCC, the topic has been on video games, work or food. And nothing of that usually interests me enough to want to discuss it here, hence I'm not very much of a regular d:

That's all fine and well, if it's the topics that are keeping you away. That being said, it's be amazing if we could find a way to vary the topic. =P

I often scan through the DCC to see what the topic of interest is, and typically that decides on whether or not I post in here. Back then, I used to just avoid the DCC altogether because of the randomly changing discussions, but I've warmed to that and started posting in here.

Sometimes though if I bump the DCC (after a few hours of idle time in it) I don't start a new topic, because I have found that my topic could be skipped over so I just keep the conversation of the above post going, but that's again, only if it interests me.

That's actually perfect, in my opinion. Just because a thread is dead doesn't mean that you HAVE to post in it to keep the thread alive, if only for the sake of it being alive. I'd much rather you post about the previous thread if it truly interests you than create some random top of the top of your head. One method is much more beneficial for the thread as a whole. Like I said, you aren't forced to post here. No one ever always talks in a conversation, afterall!

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    I agree- I was just remarking about what I've seen.

I do look for things to reply to, but sometimes people post things that are about impossible to add to. Or they bring up the last topic just before an hour has passed, and kills DCC because they're the only one who has anything to say about it.

I'm going to shut up now because I'm too tired to make any sense.

ANARCHit3cht

Call me Archie!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 25, 2020
    Well for one, I think it'd help a great big deal if everyone in the DCC took things less seriously. This is a chat thread, to talk with people and have fun. People really oughtn't make it out to be the life or death that they are currently.

I don't know about anyone else, but I know that my main problem with the DCC is that I make my reply, but the person that I addressed usually doesn't reply again until I'm not online. And then that happens to be when everyone else swarms in and posts as well, often bringing the conversation to an entirely different topic, thus making what I said moot. And while I could again join the conversation, the same thing usually happens. I guess I need to post during higher-activity times, but with the difference in time-zones(I'm assuming this is the reason for such, or people on PC have really erratic sleep patterns....) that is rather difficult. Like right now, it's fine, because I can see a few other people viewing the thread... but to be honest, that is like a first for me.

idk. maybe posting the general times that people are usually on?

Years
    • Seen Aug 25, 2015
    I find it kinda hard to keep up with this thread to be honest, it moves so fast :/ though to be fair I dont check in as often so I guess that's just my fault.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    I agree- I was just remarking about what I've seen.

I do look for things to reply to, but sometimes people post things that are about impossible to add to. Or they bring up the last topic just before an hour has passed, and kills DCC because they're the only one who has anything to say about it.

I'm going to shut up now because I'm too tired to make any sense.

someone explain this 'hour rule' in its entirety to me because as far as i've seen all it does is strangle the life out of any worthwhile discussion

Honest

Hi!
    Years
  • I can see how that'd be an issue, that's understandable. I'd expect someone you quote to be online, though, unless the thread is either dead or the quoted person did coincidentally log off after posting. Best method to take care of that, imo, is to simply stick around if your post does get answered too late. I mean, you can quote something and say something, and still add more posts for now, and leave the quoted person to respond later.

As for taking things so seriously, we aren't! There has been a very noticeable dip in the quality of the posts though, recently, and while it's not a life or death issue, there's no harm in trying to fix it, correct?

Sableye~

Back to PC~
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2018
    and suddenly the DCC blows up with posts.

I agree with Chris. If someone tries to change the topic but people don't want to, it's not like they're being forced to. It just kind of results in the thread dying slowly because nobody can change the topic, even though it already has been discussed.

Also, I haven't noticed the posts getting particularly worse. As I said, I've been busy- but things seem about the same to me.

Well for one, I think it'd help a great big deal if everyone in the DCC took things less seriously. This is a chat thread, to talk with people and have fun. People really oughtn't make it out to be the life or death that they are currently.
    and I agree with this.
    Sure, it's fine to want to fix it. But this seems a little too serious.

Years
  • talk about talking
    but what should we talk about?
    just start the engine

There is a fine line between "stop and go posting" and "actual conversation", especially given the nature of this thread.

Her

Years
    • Seen today

i'm only taking it seriously because half the time the posts are about as long as the average vm and the conversation topics are as fleeting too
    chat doesn't have to be 'deep' but it should at least have some form of depth that isn't currently being seen in here right now

Years
  • I flipped back to pages 141 and 191 and checked them out. There are quite a bit one- and two-liners. I haven't been around since then, but is there a noticeable difference?

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • i'm only taking it seriously because half the time the posts are about as long as the average vm and the conversation topics are as fleeting too
    chat doesn't have to be 'deep' but it should at least have some form of depth that isn't currently being seen in here right now

Yeah that's what's confusing. You know harley we're not all as socially adequate (or whatever the term is) as you so maybe some help would be appreciated.

mebbe we should all should check out the previous dcc's flow of topics? Idk honestly. I don't want this to be a freaking homework assignment.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Yeah that's what's confusing. You know harley we're not all as socially adequate (or whatever the term is) as you (eg I have ASD) so maybe some help.

mebbe we should all should check out the previous dcc's flow of topics? Idk honestly.

well
    for example
    in your case, quite a few of your posts in here (or anywhere, really) consist solely of jokes
    and while i of all people have no problem with joke after joke after joke (considering that's what many of my posts are), the post needs to contain something that actually furthers conversation

i'm not familiar with the autism spectrum but in your case i don't imagine it would be too hard to simply tack on a couple of lines that either promote discussion or continue it
    i hope i've made myself clear...?

droomph

weeb
    Years
  • well
    for example
    in your case, quite a few of your posts in here (or anywhere, really) consist solely of jokes
    and while i of all people have no problem with joke after joke after joke (considering that's what many of my posts are), the post needs to contain something that actually furthers conversation

i'm not familiar with the autism spectrum but in your case i don't imagine it would be too hard to simply tack on a couple of lines that either promote discussion or continue it
    i hope i've made myself clear...?

Hey at least I'm trying.

Sometimes though, when there's no real interest of mine of the topic, I tend to not post, so that's something I'm doing right, isn't it?

I don't know. Sometimes when people give me criticism, it's like they're doing the Arthur and Excalibur thing, but in reverse, and the rock is my self-esteem. It hurts to hear it, even though I know probably most likely for a fact that I'm not doing everything wrong…how's that for trying

Last edited:

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    that message probably came off more insulting than i wanted it to be, and i didn't want it to be insulting at all, lol

Years
  • reminding me of
    legislating morality
    let the rhythm flow

I broke from the structure but my point is still made.

rapidly shrinking
    molehills become a mountain
    slowly towering

as a wound festers
    the more it will burn, such that
    we must burn it shut

It's the end of one DCC, beginning of another. But let's end this one on a happier note, we have less than a day to do it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back