• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Incorrect Gym Leader Typing?

Years
  • Hmm, I was always of the opinion that gym leaders were weak to a specific type of pokemon that could only be found recently, for the most part. At least for a certain point.

Brock - Weak to 2/3 starters, and a butterfree can take care of him pretty efficiently which can be caught in the immediate area. Same with a Nidoran. Yeah, bad typing, but meh. It forces you to learn about typing, as well.

Misty - Immediately north of Cerulean is the first Grass type you can get in the game. Good chance to train it against Misty?

Lt. Surge - You can go out and get Diglett immediately before battling him for sure, even assuming you didn't get Geodude when you had the chance, and somehow hate Sandshrew.

Erika - First fire type can be caught immediately preceding meeting her, ignoring the boatloads of flying types in first gen.

Blaine - Surf. If you wanted to raise a specific water pokemon, here's an excellent chance, especially where every single water pokemon just became available to you.

Koga, Sabrina, and Giovanni - I can't figure any of these guys out, at least not in such a concrete sense.

Psychic had no exploitable weakness in Gen 1, you fought it out the hard way. Interestingly enough, it was put next to a massive, massive dungeon for powerleveling that needed to be cleared before you could fight them, and there was another gym to show just how powerful psychic is. Originally ghosts were meant to be good against Psychic as well, which is next door. Overall meant to force you to use your best pokemon, as opposed to type cruising like most gyms allow.

I can't figure out any sort of explanation in this sense as to poison and ground being where it is. I think at this point in the game, the designers assumed if you were going to use typing, you'd go back and get a ground or psychic type in poison's case, and in ground's case... you just beat blaine. You must have a water.

This might only be half an argument, though. It's possible to subvert this and say that to some extent, pokemon were placed based on who you had to fight next. This isn't as important in later generations and in later points in first gen because, well, you could catch more. You could have all three elements and another powerhouse before you so much as fought the first gym.

Ineffable~

DAT SNARKITUDE
    Years
  • The only mistakes they've made in gym types is the lack of a Dark-type gym. :(

Anyway on the Kanto topic . . . I really like Vamaar's post and have to back him up on this one: gym placement is a lot about the convenience of it rather than the sense it makes.
    More significant still though is the similarity (or contrast, such is the IRONY of Jasmine being a Steel-type trainer, har) between a gym leader and her Pokémon of choice. I mean, even if I lived way high up in the sky, I would still prefer Ground-type Pokémon to Flying-types. My personality does not change because of the Pokémon that are available to me~

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Personality seems too play more of a role then anything. The type of person they are influences the type of pokemon they run with. Sure the area they start out with probably plays an role since that area they started their journey is more then likely they area they caught their first or several of their pokemon at. So just because their gym ends up in a location where the pokemon they own is not associated with doesn't mean they obtain in some other location during their journey(eh this seems not to make much sense). Any who, it does play a role in Leaders like Clair and Elite Four members like her cousin Lance. As too the unfairness against Dark Types we have had 3 Elite Four Members since the introduction of Dark Type in Generation II which is Karen, Sidney, and Giima. Sure I would like too see a Dark Type gym, but they haven't fared too bad with 3 Dark type Elite 4 members.

Last edited:

altariaking

Needs NO VMs...
    Years
  • One of the NPC's in Pewter City says something about Brock using different types from the bug catchers. But Brock isn't going to use bug types just because every other trainer uses bugs, they want you to catch some more diverse Pokemon so it's not as easy to get through the whole game with just your starter if you picked Charmander.
    Misty...well, she Cerulean is near a bridge. With water underneath. Water. You know, the clear stuff you swim in, drink etc. So I don't see why Misty can't get a rod (lol) and fish for some water types. Beats going all the way to Rock Tunnel or Mount Moon. And besides, there are ledges on the way back to Mt Moon, and none of her Pokemon know Surf.
    And Lt. Surge is a soldier. He uses guns, real guns, not Water guns. What use would those do in a war? Drown the enemies? Get them wet? Or he could just whip out a real gun and, well, you get the idea.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Brock considers rock types awesome, Misty considers water types cool. Lt. Surge considers zapping stuff the most efficient way of battling. You're contradicting yourself here by using places as explanations for why things should change, but people as explanations for why they shouldn't.

Incorrect Gym Leader Typing?

I don't see it.

Viridian City is RIGHT NEXT to Mt. Moon yet Pewter is far away? lolwut.

I'm not saying you're wrong either, I'm just pointing out that you might want to not contradict yourself. I'm only stating my opinion beyond that, my opinion that this idea is rather silly. Also, three other regions you might want to counter-argue.

U cant see it in the 1st gen map
    coz the upper right of town (coincedentaly where the fire type gym happens to be place
    Anyway wwhen the volcano erupted it rised from the ground causing the town to be destroyed

anyway ...
    Brock - As fat guy says in pewter city Brock likes to be different
    Misty - As well as being near caves Route 25 (bill' home) is right next to he sea
    Lt.Surge - Eletric type represents toughness and strength as Lt.surge tries to amplify as of a ex army man
    Erika - When i get to that point in the game there's lots of grass Pokemon to catch so its not surprising she is grass.
    Koga - At this point of the you can go safari zone where venonats can be caught and he obviously goes to the poke mansion for his Poison-type since his badge allows you to see surf.
    Sabrina - To be honest i have no idea where she can get her pokemon close to her. theres abra's on route 24 but thats as close as she'll ever get.
    Blaine - Kind of obvious he goes to the Pokémon Mansion for his fire pokemon.
    Giovanni - As we know Giovanni is the leader of team rocket so for him we must think of the places team rocket show up ... Mt.Moon (Rock / Ground pokemon) Lavender town (Cubone found here - ground) Team .R Base Most members of Team R have Ground types here ... And Silph Co in Saffron city. Saffron City is in the center of Kanto and has a cave on three sides of it North = Ceruelean Cave East = Rock tunnel and South = Diglett cave
    This shows that team rocket have visited various gorund type areas Giovanni being the leader would have had to check up on teh team and proballly cuaght some pokemon ;D

Your welcome

JakeyBoy

Riddle me this
    Years
  • I never noticed the type advantages In surrounding areas, and it seems so obvious now. Also, from what I can see, nobody pointed out how the gym leaders correspond to each other. Water beats Rock, Electric beats Water, I think Grass beats Electric... It's not perfect but it's pretty close. The hierarchy has some logic behind it.

The type of person they are influences the type of pokemon they run with.

Other way round bro.

FlamingThunder

Years
  • Come to think of it;
    Pewter City is next to Viridian forest, filled with bug pokemon right?
    Rock beats Bug
    Cerulean City has a lot of caves surrounding it
    Water beats Rock
    Vermillion is a port city
    Electric beats water.

Ahh nintendo logic.
    Fuchsia City has a safari zone, filled with trees.
    Poison beats Grass
    Cinnabar Island is near to Seafoam Islands.
    Fire beats Ice
    crasher Wake is next to a marsh
    Ground beats Water.

BTW, What do you mean by "Nintendo Logic"?

Archipelago

Who knows?
    Years
  • Cinnabar has a volcano on it, and Fortree is a tree city.

Well shouldn't that, by your logic, make it a Grass-type Gym? And the area tends to have nothing to do with where they are. Sure there are a few exceptions, like Flannery's gym being near the base of a volcano.

It tends to be more or less just how the Gym Leaders feel about Pokemon, and sometimes this is influenced by the local area. I guess that Nintendo need to moderate the Gym leaders in the areas, such as making sure that they don't have two closely linked types near the same area (such as Rock and Ground, which often seemed to be intergrated, meaning that the Pokemon used could be quite similar). Still, it's all up to the designers in the end, isn't it?

Years
  • you have to remember that a lot of them collected their pokemon growing up and lt. surge was just that a lt. who used electric type pokemon in war or whatever. they could have had their own travels when they were younger, they had to become a gym leader somehow.

Back