• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Infinity - Concept or Number?

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Do you believe that "infinity" can actually be reached or whether it is just the belief of something that has no bounds?

No, not inspired by TCTI. Just would make for a good debate.

Guillermo

i own a rabbit heh
    Years
    Basically as soon as you count to 1 you've counted to infinity since infinity keeps on going. :3

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Infinity cannot be reached or else it wouldn't be the true concept of infinity. This concept was only given a name because it appears often and had a need to be identified. Much like the square root of -1 was given the identity "i" though it is technically impossible.

In short, infinity is indeed a concept and not an actual number.

To understand it, I think about dividing by zero. :D

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    The Infinite Hotel is a fun paradox. My Calculus prof told us that after class the other week. He said if you can understand that, you understand infinity. That was the best version I could find online without trying to remember it myself and getting it wrong.

At any rate, mathematically, infinity doesn't really exist. You can argue it in a few contexts but for the most part, if you've got infinity, you've got no real solution. As a concept, yeah it's definitely in existence. It's important as a concept because whether or not it's defined, it's imperative to have in a lot of math.

I try not to think too much on it. It hurts after a while. ;p

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
    Years
    Considering that infinity can't be used in arithmetic (infinity plus one or minus one is still infinity), I tend to think that it's a concept. One important thing to remember, though, is that there are rational and irrational numbers. One is a rational number, but pi is not. It's impossible to exactly represent pi, because it supposedly extends infinitely without repeating.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    My idea of infinity is something that can't be defined. For some reason whenever I think about it I always imagine something divided by zero. Maybe thats just my representation of it. Even though it isn't a number its still used in Mathematics, though, the only application I can think of on the top of my head is in limits.

I think the question is whether infinity is more useful as a number (acting like one anyway) or as a concept. Infinity is incredibly useful as a number, without it we wouldn't have Calculus. I'm not sure how infinity is used as a concept. I've thought about it a few times but I've never done any research because it seems like one of those things we can come close to understanding but will never fully understand. I suppose its used to describe things in Philosophy? I'm not sure, I don't feel comfortable commenting without any knowledge on it.

Dr Helios

is a hack 'tester'
    Years
    Infinity is a concept, but a concept that must exist, as x÷0=∞. It's like pi, although pi must exist, because c÷d=π, it can never be fully written out by humans or computers.

Although, that's just what went around in my brain, I don't have much 'real' knowledge about it.

Years
    We covered the concept of infinity in Philosophy, specifically the Kalam argument. It states that a true infinity cannot exist, due to the fact that, as previously stated, infinity plus one is equal to infinity. We were given a simple example to Lightning's Infinite Hotel - the example of the Infinite Library. It states that there are an infinite number of books in a library, half red and half black. The red books are removed, with a number of black books left. However, there are still infinity black books left, and thus ∞/2=∞. Thus, infinity is simply a concept, and does not truly exist. The comparisons to pi are rather pointless, as pi has a value (albeit with tens of thousands of digits after the decimal point), whereas infinity does not - Hallucination's comparison to i was more valid.

(The Kalam argument goes on to state that because of this the Universe cannot have existed infinitely, and thus there must have been a series of causes caused by a First Cause, generally attributed to God. But that's for another time.)

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    Eight million is the number that traditionally represents infinity, in Japan at least.

It is a concept obviously but I would say it doesn't exist in the real world — everything serves its term and comes to an end. Assuming commonly acknowledged science is correct, even the universe is not infinite since it is expanding, and so must be a finite mass.
    Time is the only infinite thing IMO, but then that is also a concept to me so whether it is infinite or not it's not part of the real world and so not relevent.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    "Finite" means limited, whereas "INfinite" means unlimited, or having no boundary or end. Therefore nothing can count to infinity, making it more of a concept than a true number.

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Infinity actually has to be a concept, even though an equation reaches it:

x÷0=∞

As someone else already stated it.

How many times does 0 fit into x if x>0 and real?

However, there is a controversy if we invert the equation:

0·∞=x

That is not true. Any monkey in 3rd grade can tell anything times 0 is 0.

0·∞≠x,

∞ does not follow the rules that any real number follows. Thus, it cannot be a number.

♣Gawain♣

Onward to Music!!!
    Years
    Infinity is both, depends on the perception. If you're talking mathematically, it's a value that has no end, positively or negatively. Otherwise, it's a scientific concept of an endless time.

Back