• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Initializing research about RNG's

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 8, 2012
    I've decided to begin research on RNG's for the purposes of novelty.

What I've learned so far, is that it is very complicated, and there is no straight forward approach to it; that is my best guess.

RNG generators for generation 4 seem pretty simple, although I haven't even tried that; but I am very interested in manipulating RNG in Pokemon Black/White.

For example, I want to catch a perfect male shiny Litwick with Flame Body (0 att/31 all else) and name it Casey (after the preacher from the Grapes of Wrath)

(I have been attempting to catch a decent Litwick before continuing in my game, and only spending an hour or so aday searching, have found even this task to be incredibly difficult)

I am under the impression that this is practically impossible for someone like myself to do; given that there are so many factors involved, such as the previous RNG calculated by the EV's of a Pokemon that has just been caught as well as the time that the game is turned on.

I have even read at sources that something such as taking a step forward may increase the RNG by 1 level, so I am completely not understanding how any of this is at all possible, but clearly it is.

(Part of my ritual for finding a suitable Litwick has been ringing the bell at the top of the Celestial Tower at dusk; I wonder if that increases the RNG level?)

So I am trying to get a general idea right now of what learning how to use RNG's would entail, rather than attempting to dive into a thread full of RNG data sheets and trying to figure anything out on my own.

I have another question; what Legendaries are possible to manipulate through the use of RNG's, and which ones aren't; and why not?

It seems to me that it would be impossible to insure that any event Pokemon has perfect stats, or be shiny, or be shiny and have perfect stats .

Last edited:

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    Heya, there is a fantastic Pokemon Black/White RNG guide in the Helpful Guides (CSS & RNG)

5th gen standard abuse is not all that very complicated at all. Many new to the concept of RNG abuse have successfully RNG abused their first shiny Pokemon. RNG veterans say that 5th gen RNG abuse is a joke compared to 4th gen and 3rd gen. If now is the time to learn RNG abuse and obtain some very cool Pokemon yourself, 5th gen is the way to go.

Therefore, don't feel blown away by all the terminology, numbers and well, length of it all. It is very easy and just about anyone can do it. The only math you will need is basic addition and subtraction.

I say just about anyone can abuse the RNG because there are pre-requisites (listed in the guide). Besides having a DS system and a Pokemon Black/White game, which you already have, you just need to be able to download a program (that doesn't appear to work on Macbooks) and have a working Wi-Fi connection. You will also have to get a Chatot, which is not available in Black/White itself but can be obtained in other ways (e.g. Wi-Fi trading). The other pre-requisites are pretty basic to obtain.

The general summary of information section can be skipped, but it has everything you will need to understand in order to really RNG abuse.For example, walking 128 steps with X number of Pokemon in the party increase the frame controlling IVs (not EVs) by X. If your party is 4, the frame jumps by 4 after those 128 steps. Be consistent in order to get accurate results (e.g. don't do 129 steps).

Start with Finding DS Parameters. Once you get those, you can start working on capturing shiny flawless Pokemon. Litwick would probably be one of the easiest Pokemon to RNG abuse because in one floor in Celestial Tower, the trainers rarely move. On the top floor, there are no trainers (but more Elegym appear).

The bell at the top of Celestial Tower has no effect on RNG. Some methods that influence PID (shinyness) are weather and wandering trainers. Some methods that influence IVs (flawless) are walking and withdrawing Pokemon.

There are no data sheets to really dive in... RNG Reporter is pretty user friendly.

Legendaries are possible to obtain as shiny and/or flawless. Zekrom, Reshiram, and the ticket Victini can be flawless but NOT shiny. In addition, the Castelia City Zorua and the Lostlorn Forest Zoroark can be flawless but NOT shiny. The game will actually skip over the shiny frame if you were to advance to it.

Event Pokemon picked up from the wondercards are possible to obtain as flawless but NOT shiny. The exceptions would be those already shiny (such as the Gamestop Raikou, Entei, and Suicune in 4th Gen).

Hope this helps, but you're free to post in the Trade Corner Daily Chit-Chat for all RNG help.

Closed~

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back