• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Inside The Mind of a Competitive Trainer

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    What was your first Pokemon game?
    Pokemon Gold. Borrowed my friend's cartridge and got right into it.

When did you start battling competitively?
    Around late last year or so. Forever/skylight/Nica invited me to the battle server and coached me on the basics on NU.

When did you realize that it just "clicked", or you considered yourself a decent battler?
    I don't know. I've always had a knack for battling even before I got into competitive, so it just kinda clicked as soon as I realised there was more to just straight-out powerful attacks and good type counters. I mean, I've never used Stealth Rock before in my life until now, you know?

How much time do you spend researching/studying the metagame, vs. actually battling?
    I only do so when I'm building teams or watch other player's battles on the server. Other than that, I guess I'm just too lazy to actually look things up. xP

How do you practice or work on improving your game? What challenges you to become better?
    Just battle, battle, and keep on battling I guess. If there's a Pokemon that doesn't seem to be working well with the team, I switch it with another Pokemon and such. What challenges me to become better? The desire to win and the satisfaction I get after winning.

What's your favourite battle Pokemon, core or general strategy?
    I prefer a mixture of offensive and defensive. I used to be more of an outright offensive trainer in the games (not much defensive strategies are actually needed in-game), but I've since come to realise the advantages you get from having a mixed battle strategy. Stalling tactics also work well for me as they're rather fun to use and fun to watch my opponents suffer ;D.

Last edited:
    Back