• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Instead of pokéballs?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    If the creators of Pokémon hadn't come up with the idea that trainers use capsules to capture pokémon and carry them around, what other ways of transporting/keeping/carrying/enslaving (heh) pokémon could have been used? Or should have been used, perhaps? For example, in Pokémon Ranger, they use a Capture Styler that "transmits friendship" to the wild pokémon and makes it more inclined to help the ranger temporarily, but the pokémon stays out beside the ranger in its normal form and size as they travel.

Let's disregard that they are called "pocket monsters" and fit in your pocket by definition for a while ;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Maybe they could have made them behave more like actual animals; they would never get into any type of devices, and would have much stronger feelings and whatnot. You could befriend them, and by doing so, they would begin accepting you as their trainer and follow you around. After that, they're yours; you could play with them, do activities, battle, whatever. :] If you do something to lose their trust, though, they'd flee and go back into the wild.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    They probably would've just followed you, like a house pet you would have. I mean, Pokemon's about training monsters, via friendship and bonds, and doing the best they can. It would make sense for them to follow you, as they're companions. Pokeballs were cramped, anyway. Give em some space.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
    Id say theys have a gauntlet that made the pokemon trust the trainer, and you needed to buy realods.

Pillodox

Ruff
    Years
    You would use the Permanent Styler, made by Prof . Hastings. It'll need recharg regularly though, and if a Pokemon destroys it, you must purchase a new one.

Talon Flare

Learning to break kayfabe
    Years
    I actually like how Heart Gold/Soul Silver lets you walk with your Pokemon. I wished they haved done that for BW and XY.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I don't think it's the most moral way, but I wouldn't have been surprised if the PokeDex itself was used as some sort of storage device. Kind of like a portable PC, when you "catch" a Pokemon, it records its data, and the Dex stores it for you until you want to bring them out again. Kinda suited for something more data based like Digimon, but still.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I don't think it's the most moral way, but I wouldn't have been surprised if the PokeDex itself was used as some sort of storage device. Kind of like a portable PC, when you "catch" a Pokemon, it records its data, and the Dex stores it for you until you want to bring them out again. Kinda suited for something more data based like Digimon, but still.
    Oooh, I really like that. Works with the idea of mine that pokémon have a sort of energy (Aura) within them, channeling their powers and moves and levels and stuff. Maybe that could be converted digitally, like when you are sending pokéballs digitally to professor Oak, or just storing the pokémon in a PC. If the PokéDex was used like that, it would be an even more interesting (and essential) item and make switching pokémon in and out from your team a much simpler process. Unless you needed to actually hook up with a wire to a computer in order to do it, I guess.

TheFattestSnorlax

New year, new possibilities
    Years
    Remember in second gen, they said that people had apricorns back in the day instead of pokeballs? Sorry but this is just a thought.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Remember in second gen, they said that people had apricorns back in the day instead of pokeballs? Sorry but this is just a thought.

Apricorns I dont remember that I guess :p
    Well yeah, but that's kind of the same thing and concept as pokéballs. A sphere in which you store your pokémon for traveling (or healing or some other added effect, depending on apricorn/ball). Apricorns were used before pokéballs were invented, so they led up to pokéballs and are kind of the same thing. At least in regards to this topic imo :3

Years
    • Seen Jul 9, 2015
    If not Pokéballs, maybe something like an USB memory stick and instead of throwing it, you'd aim a capturing ray, scanning a defeated pokémon and destroying it while making a copy inside the memory, much like a theorical teleportation would work.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
    I would have gone with something like they're normal animals and you have to feed them, or something of the sort to befriend them, and in the end they can either decide to join you, run away, or probably attack you.

Waterlemon

Treat Or Else...
    Years
    POKÉCUBES!

I loved in HG/SS how you can walk with your Pokemon. I dont like how B/W and X/Y removed it. I mean the mechanic was almost useless, but I just liked having a little chat with my pokes.

And since Pokeballs are made from Apricorns, that means we conceal Pokemon like Mewtwo and Heatran with fruit.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    They should be normal animals, that is for sure.
    Something like the Pokémon Ranger concept, like all those big hulky dudes travelling right behind us. That was a nice feature, and I think with the new 3D and all it could totally be possible. Of course, since we can't fly ourselves and five other Pokémon on Staraptor, I'm sure we can just 'fast travel' to places or something, since that would reduce the use of HM Slaves (#skyrimreference). And as for Surfing, the player should know how to swim, period. I don't know about Fire-types and Rock-types swimming in water, but as long as there's a water type Pokémon who knows Surf and can control the strength of the sea waves, they or we won't be swept away by the harsh current, and the Fire-types will be well protected.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    I know that's not quite the point of this thread, but I couldn't help thinking of this:

Instead of pokéballs?

I like the idea of bonding with Pokemon as you would animals, as others have mentioned. It just seems like a more 'natural' way of befriending Pokemon, and I'd much rather see 'em walking alongside their trainers rather than tossed out of Pokeballs when they're needed in battle. It's kind of a bizarre relationship.

I guess that would be hard to implement in games though, since building friendship and trust without the magic of Pokeballs or "friendship transmitting" Capture Stylers would take longer.

Years
    • Age 36
    • ?
    • Seen Jan 16, 2016
    think with portals
    It's difficult to think of an alternate way to hold and maintain pokemon...I think the oldest thing they showed in Pokemon was those wind up pokeballs from the Celebi movie. If, for whatever reason they never existed, I think there would be some sort of thing like a duel disc that you could attatch to your Pokedex to port them out into battle

Back