• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Instead of that Pikachu...?

Do you think Ash should have gotten a different Pokémon than Pikachu?

• Total voters

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, I was bored, and decided to make a topic like this.

What if you had the chance to change what Pokémon Ash recived from Professor Oak as his starter Pokémon, instead of Pikachu, what Pokémon would it be?

It could be practically any Pokémon, not just one of the Kanto starters, considering Ash got their too late, Oak gave him a Pikachu which wasn't a starter (until after yellow) and Ho-oh appeared at the start, so I guess any pokémon from any gen wouldn't matter. Though no legendaries.

If I was given the chance, I would have given him an Eevee instead of Gary getting one (though Gary didn't get it as a starter so I guess it would work out well if they both had one and a rivalry was born), mainly because it would fit in much better if they were going to stick with a partner that didn't evolve, because well - it can evolve into 7 different types of Pokémon. But yeah, Eevee is mega cute too.

THIS ISNT TO DISCUSS PIKACHU, JUST TO TALK ABOUT OTHER POKEMON YOU THINK WOULD BE COOL IF ASH STARTED WITH

Last edited:

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    If he did get Eevee, he wouldn't of evolved it... \: I think that a nice normal starter Pokemon would of been enough.

NightOfRemorse

my anxieties have anxieties
    Years
    When you consider the fact that Ash was originally supposed to get a Clefairy, yes, a Clefairy, Pikachu seems like a wonderful choice. Seriously, can you imagine him with a Clefairy? That would be an interesting sight to see.
    Personally, I wouldn't want to change it, as Pikachu suits him the best. If I absolutely had to choose, I would agree with you on him starting with an Eevee and having a rivalry with Gary. Sounds like a good concept.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I wouldn't mind if that went the manga route and went with Poliwag. Or since I love the Gastly line give him Gastly. I kind of wish he got Squirtle the pokemon he actually wanted. If it was from another gen I would like for him to start off with Larvitar.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    Pikachu is only the mascot because it was Ash's, I thought.

I think a Poliwag would work. Or perhaps a Mankey?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I'd rather have had Pichu be magically part of Gen 1 and have him as Ash's Pet Deus ex Machina.

Don't deny it, Pichu is 10^(10^42) times cuter that Pikachu. In fact, now I even hate Pikachu for existing.

Tox

fight me
    Years
    I always liked Pikachu. If it was anything else, eventually the same people would think it was boring. Ash obtained the three original starters anyway. If he started with any of the others, he'd probably have fully evolved them. Pikachu evolves with a Thunderstone so they were able to avoid that problem. Ash needs a 'cute' Pokémon to stay around with him and if it was anything other than his starter, it would take the starter's place, which in a way makes the starter, well, like every other one of his Pokémon. I don't know if what I'm saying is understandable but it makes sense in my head. D:

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    ^ This isn't to discuss weather you like pikachu or not, just other pokemon that you think would have been cool is Ash started with.

Read the question in the first post, the poll is irrelevant.

sabrina_diamond

Blazing dark Vulpix
    Years
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    I would love Ash to get a Cubone, then he can teach it Boomerang attacks and then it could twack Team rocket every episode and they 'blast off'! xD Plus, the skull is cute

Ducklighter

Throw caution to the wind.
    Years
    I loved the idea of Ash keeping that Larvitar he temporarily had in Johto. I would love to have him keep that, possibly had him as a starter. Maybe a Riolu.

Years
    • Seen Nov 11, 2011
    I like Pikachu, but thinking of the possibilities is fun too. My current favorite alternative is if he chose the Charmander to start. With Ash being the OT of Charizard would have changed its attitude towards him greatly, and all the events that followed would have been shifted greatly in Ash's favor.

.Marion

RNG Master
    Years
    I can't imagine pokemon without Pikachu as its mascot... IMO, Pokemon will never be the same if Pikachu is not Ash's partner, and vice versa.

darkpokeball

Beware the Chainsaw Meowth 0.o
    Years
    Uh...I'd say that Dratini would be good for Ash.
    1. Dratini is awesome, and I could see it being the Pokemon mascot
    2. He could actually EVOLVE it for once
    3. Dragonite is awesome, if Ash ever got the courage to evolve it twice.

Years
    • Age 28
    • USA
    • Seen Jun 28, 2011
    I never thought about it before, but now that i think about it, Pikachu seems to be better, i just cant think of any other Pokemon that suits Ash better that Pikachu.

Years
    Pokemon wouldn't be the same for me without Pikachu as i grow up watching Ash and Pikachu working as a team.

If he did have another partner though i think maybe a Riolu or an Eevee like others have said.

marcc5m

what
    Years
    If you fetch me my gun I can solve this problem right now.
    I would have liked to see Ash with a Tangela. No joke, it would be pretty cool seeing a big ball of vines sitting on Ash's shoulder. And maybe a Machop just for the badass factor (Ash needs to be cooler). Actually...come to think of it, a Drowzee with shades would've been pretty cool...

Back