• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Internal battery

Does your copy of g/s/c still work?

• Total voters

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
Does any still have there old gold/silver/crystal? Did you have to:
Replace battery?
Keep the dead battery?
Chuck the game away?

Personally I never owned a copy of gold/silver/crystal since i was a year old at the time I only got into pokemon around d/p/p but I'm interested at how many copy's survived the battery purge (chucking the game due to the battery)

Comment your stories bellow ^_^

Edit:
How many people want there battery changed? Even though the save file will be gone

Last edited:
Years
When I read about the battery problem I had left 3 or 2 years. As I didn't play it since 2003 I didn't care that much, but in 2010 I tried to play and there was nothing, only the things I had in Stadium boxes. I wish I had fixed it, at least I'd have my poké, good memories of that time, long time working on them, miss this so much. :/

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
I still do have my Crystal cartridge, but unfortunately, I don't believe I have any handheld console to test it on, so I can't precisely say if its battery has run dry or not. However, last time I had played this game, which was nearly four years ago, things seemed to have been working perfectly fine.

Years
Im not really the best guy for tools handling, but I managed to replace batteries successfully on my own :D

I had Yellow and Crystal. When I finished, I was aware of the possibility of the battery dying. Hopefully my Yellow save file will last long enough for me to get the save thingy and save it, replace it and load it, so there's that. I did however change the battery on Crystal before playing it and hopefully it will live for a long time.

I suggest everyone to change the batteries. there is nothing like going back to old games and seeing your own team, and it's not THAT hard so yeah, you should definitely do that :D

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
The death of the internal battery in my Gold version unfortunately caused me losing tons of Lvl. 100 and shiny Pokes. I get sad whenever I think about it. ;-;

Years
  • Seen Jul 2, 2023
The batteries on all of my second gen games died several years ago. I bought new batteries to replace them, but never got around to doing so, and at this point, I don't know what the battery life on those batteries is like, so I'm not sure I'll ever bother. Gold died a little less than 6 years after I got it, Crystal died about 6-7 years after I got it, and Silver lasted a bit longer (closer to 9 years?). I played Gold the most, by far, Crystal second, and Silver the least.

I think I have my Gold save file backed up on a Mega Memory Card (assuming the back up worked), so I could probably get it back onto a cartridge if I replaced the battery, but I'm not sure I would want to bother.

wolfboyft

Pokémon Generation 2 Hacker
Years
DUDES.

Google backing up gameboy saves to PC...

Or whatever... cuz you can use a mega memory card and an EMS cartridge to do whatever you want. And you can also use the EMS cartridge to play GB rom hacks like dark energy on an ACTUAL gameboy.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
I owned all three games, and all three have succumbed to a dead battery. I tossed around the idea to have the batteries change, but such talk never moved beyond just that, mere talk. I'm grateful that they've since brought out remakes, but I do miss Crystal so. And the few Pokémon I managed to level to 100 on that game. Good times.

Years
  • Seen Feb 3, 2017
I bought them all used at a gamestore back in 05 with dead batteries. Went online after finding out they were dead and got the tools needed to replace them and with the help of my grandparents on soldiering, I was able to replace the batteries. I also bought a gameboy memory card to back up my saves a year later.

magicalgirlj

I liek Popplio
Years
The battery dies in Silver version a long time ago. I have no idea on how to replace these batteries. At least there is Heart Gold and Soul Silver for the DS

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
Years
  • Seen Sep 17, 2018
I've had all three games at some point, and replaced a battery in Gold version twice (although the second attempt actually broke one of the internal pieces because it was weakened from when I previously replaced it, lol...) and I replaced my Crystal version internal battery too.

That was already about 5 years ago, too, so they'll be due for another replacement in the coming years. I want to get another Gold Version and get a Silver Version for collector's purposes, I don't mind if the batteries are dead because if anything I can just play a ROM on my PSP.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I still have all of my cartridges, but the only one that works is my Crystal of the three. My Gold and Silver need a new battery or something. I keep them anyway just to keep my collection complete. Its a shame they don't work anymore, but hey, I still got a working Crystal!

Years
My Gold Version's save only works if the game was soft reset (A+B+START+SELECT) or the Game Boy is turned back on within two seconds.

DyingWillFlareon

Burning Candle
Years
I recently bought a Yellow version, and I'm concerned whether or not it has a battery. I've heard both answers before.....

But as for GSC I can't say. After I heard about the internal battery dying I hadn't worked up the courage to play one. Had to get a Rom of Silver but unfortunately the tablet that was on broke when we completed the League, just hanging around Fuscia.........
But I plan on buying SoulSilver and reviving my team with fully evolved pokes for comforting reasons. (Haunter's will be able to evolve and Toegtuc will have his own new evolution as well ^^)

Years
All 3 no longer have their original save batteries.

Gold expired in 2011. Silver was dead on arrival in 2014. Crystal expired in 2013.

I have replaced them, albeit with the electrical tape method. They work fine now.

Back