• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Censorship

linkinpark187

Computer Tech
Years
  • As we all know, it's a horrible idea, but is VERY possible. What are your thoughts on Internet Censorship? Personally, I think it's not going to do a bit of good and will more than likely quickly die out if it does happen.

The other question I have is more for the site owner, but will the PokéCommunity be joining in this endeavor to keep it from happening?

If you, or someone you know, has a site, feel free to put up the "censor" logo. You can find it here.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2019
    I am pretty sure that this would pretty much kill Pokecommunity, because of all of the fan made works, as they are based on copyrighted content. If this passes, There will always be a way around it. People in China already have got around censorship, as well as in other countries.

Years
    • she/her or they/them
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    I'm very against this new bill. I mean, I support the reduction of piracy but the power that this bill can grant to corporations is absurd. Likewise, the entertainment industry is miniscule compared to other sectors, and it doesn't put much money in the economy.

I'm very much against this.

quilzel

net start w3svc
    Years
  • What they are purposing would require them to monitor your internet traffic, all of it. Bank websites,email, forums, everything. Which is a violution of the 5th amendment of the united states constitution wich says we have a right to not be searched without a warrant.

If by some odd miracle it does pass, I think the courts will strike it down.

Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Feb 1, 2016
    Sounds bad. I haven't heard before though

Can someone put link so I can see what's gonna happen and join the discussion?

Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2021
    Supposedly, Obama is going to uphold "net neutrality" on this bill.

Which means that should the bill make it to his desk, he's veto-ing it.

And still, this whole thing not only infringes the 5th Amendment, as quilzel said, but also the 1st Amendment via disruption of the freedom of speech, and maybe even freedom of press. Sites like Tumblr and Twitter would be especially affected by it.

@ Xeberos: I don't think there's currently a live discussion for it, but several sites have links for the page where you send letters or whatever to state reps.

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 29, 2019
    I recall watching TheAmazingAthiest do a video about this subject back then, hopefully this won't pass otherwise god knows how many sites (Youtube, ED, 4chan for example.) will end up utterly gutted by the end of the first year of the bill's passing.

FlameChocobo

Warrior of Hoenn
    Years
    • Seen Dec 27, 2016
    I'm going against it. What possibly is going to go wrong is that a lot of people are going to face up to 5 years in prison. That means:

No School Time! You'll have to repeat a year on a grade you were in either after spending time prison. Most likely you'll have to drop out of that as attending college is impossible to do.

Unemployment! Your boss will try to contact you if you're not going to work, but can't get a hold of you. Why? BECAUSE your boss doesn't know you're sent to prison. So guess what? You're fired! You have to search for another job after spending time in prison.

and finally....

Negligence of your pets, children, or living things! After being sent to prison, you'll be over worried about your loved ones. Unless your child has transit, can ride a bike, skateboard, or skooter, or has a relative that CAN drive, your child is stuck at home when (s)he needs to go to school. Your house smells (Unless you don't have a pet) because there's too many feces and urine all around it, so your child, because you're spending time in prison, has to clean the house so it doesn't rot. IF your child is an infant, (s)he is going to die, both for starvation and because of odor.

So yeah. The Blacklist bill is a criminal to 1st amendment as well as 5th. Who ever thought this up (looking at you, Hollywood >_>) needs to be executed in public.

Masterge77

Robot Mienshao
    Years
  • Have these people forgotten what the first amendment is? This may ultimately lead to America becoming a dictatorship and starting World War III so that everyone in the world can be miserable and opressed by corrupt rulers like Adolf Hitler and Mao Zedong before them, but that's only the worst that could happen.

Ok, I was exagerating a little about the whole dictatorship thing, but still, it's going against the US Constitution and everything it stands for.

Last edited:

Minuteman III

More Boosters!
    Years
  • My idea on how to deal with this?

Find all of the corrupt media executives and kill them with fire.

DING! Problem solved.

Last edited:

Dawn

[span="font-size:180%;font-weight:900;color:#a568f
    Years
  • The fact that Facebook is popular says to me that internet censorship is here to stay. However, that isn't to say it needs to get worse. That bill is dumb. I don't know. I can't think of something more passionate to say. Stupid stuff like this is so banal at this point that it's getting hard for me to keep up with the bills in my caremobile.

...Which says to me maybe we just need to take a constitutional stand on this crud already. I mean seriously, are we just going to fight off dumb bills for eternity? Or at least until we get so tired of it that we can't even bother fighting back? Someone needs to put our internet rights through legislature already so we can stop this stupid crud! <___>

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    Exactly. Had we not had the support of user-saturated sites such as reddit, 4chan, tumblr, along with several others, we might be on a censored web controlled by the entertainment industry right now. This doesn't mean this is over. A lot of you here are close to voting ages. Don't think that you can just stand idly by and just hope it won't be passed like it should. Contact your congressmen. Those people are there to hear your voice and represent it. Vote. You have the power to make a difference for the US. Don't be that one guy who didn't care before and then complain after it's passed.

jpp8

Producer
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2013
    That and the entire speech about 'dis law iz gonna ta killz da interwebz' is a load of crap. Know why? Same speech was used against a couple of other bills relating to the web which later turned out to be a good thing instead of a death sentence.
    Which bills were these? Just want a history and precedence lesson.

removed by twocows
    Pass SOPA or Spongebob Dies

Also, 2 people in this thread = representative of the mindset of SOPA/Protect-IP opponents. Several websites opposed to the passing of these bills urged their users to contact their local congressmen through phone or e-mail to tell them to not let these bills pass and to put logos their websites to spread awareness. Sounds civilized enough to me.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. X

It's... kinda effective?
    Years
  • Which bills were these? Just want a history and precedence lesson.

Also, 2 people in this thread = representative of the mindset of SOPA/Protect-IP opponents. Several websites opposed to the passing of these bills urged their users to contact their local congressmen through phone or e-mail to tell them to not let these bills pass and to put logos their websites to spread awareness. Sounds civilized enough to me.

I take that back. One law and some case ruling. Its from the MPAA so meh, might be somewhat exaggerated. This link is for the case ruling (I think) but I believe there is another one about DMCA and how people said that would kill the net.

https://blog.mpaa.org/BlogOS/post/2...’s-Demise-Have-Been-Greatly-Exaggerated-.aspx

And the comment was directed at those saying that they should die, in a rather painful manner.

And really? I nicely recommend them something and get a post deletion and infraction yet you let them get away with saying "they should be executed in public" and "gather them all, kill with fire, problem solved."

The Corrupt Plague

Missingno. hunter
    Years
  • My idea on how to deal with this?

Find all of the corrupt media executives and kill them with fire.

DING! Problem solved.

Ah yes, senseless violence would be the perfect solution! /sarcasm. Okay, you want to know why this is a horrible idea and killing is never an option? This would give them a reason to play the "terrorist" card and we all know how paranoid America gets when it comes to this sort of thing! This would do way more harm than good and it's simply not worth it. In my opinion, the best way to handle this would be to try voting the politicians supporting censorship out of office when you get a chance.

Last edited:

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Ah yes, senseless violence would be the perfect solution! /sarcasm. Okay, you want to know why this is a horrible idea and killing is never an option? This would give them a reason to play the "terrorist" card and we all know how paranoid America gets when it comes to this sort of thing! This would do way more harm than good and it's simply not worth it. In my opinion, the best way to handle this would be to try voting the politicians supporting censorship out of office when you get a chance.

I kind of think that he was just joking. :x

Cordelia

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2014
    Voting for people makes no difference. Corporations control the government through lobbying, so have fun wasting your time thinking you're making a difference. I wasted my time for long enough and now it's time to just not give a crap because no matter who I vote for, I know who really runs the government.

Source: Degree in Political Science (American Government Focus)

miltankRancher

Mega Ampharos is the one.
    Years
  • I am against this bill. It would probably spell out end for many internet sites around the web, (inluding PC). The world will never be the same.

Ziraider

ಠ_ಠ Get Down with the Pokemon.
    Years
  • The bill about it has changed names several times, ACTA to Protect- IP. I believe there is also one called Stop Online. But I do know that Protect-IP has had over 50,000 signatures witch caused this bill to be filibustered. I got an email about this morning, but the bill is so loosely worded that anyone could easily mistake a fan based site and call it a piracy site in front of a judge. Giving the control of the Internet to the Entertainment Industry would be an awful idea, the sued the VCR company's and MP3 players and won against VRC for being able to "record" shows and whatnot though tapes. I believe they also did this to the DVR comapany's. Not a 100% sure but anything that helps us watch or us music in any way the industry cant make its 100% to 110% Profit they will sue and take everything away. Look what happened to Youtube Vevo basically took it over because of the ET. It's not that much about the users anymore. It's all profit before people.

Back