• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Explorer 9 to support H.264 and other HTML 5

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    https://gizmodo.com/5494574/internet-explorer-9-a-fresh-start
    https://ie.microsoft.com/testdrive/
    Having H.264 support means IE9 will be able to render MP4 video in-browser without Flash, much like Chrome, Safari, and Opera can. It will also support embedded audio like MP3 and AAC without needing to use plugins. I'm quite excited about what this means for the internet; IE is often seen as the least common denominator, and web development rarely seems to incorporate things that IE can't support.

Serene Grace

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
    I'm glad that Internet Explorer is now looking quite promising. I've taken a brief look into all the features and, if what I saw was correct, I'm going to switch to it as soon as we get a stable release as I'm hugley impressed by what I'm seeing. I'm really glad about this, too because Internet Explorer was the only Microsoft program which seemed lacking, in my opinion and now it looks like they've fixed it.

Last edited:

Sora's Nobody

The Official Roxas
    Years
    I'm not impressed. If you look at this picture (which is like a test wich scores you browser and how its running animation speed wise) from a page on they're website (Wow they must be stupid to advertise them selfs in a bad way)Internet Explorer 9 to support H.264 and other HTML 5

And this the same test i took of firefox on my computer: Internet Explorer 9 to support H.264 and other HTML 5

twocows

Years
    I'm not impressed. If you look at this picture (which is like a test wich scores you browser and how its running animation speed wise) from a page on they're website (Wow they must be stupid to advertise them selfs in a bad way)

And this the same test i took of firefox on my computer:

First of all, this is a tech preview. It's pre-pre-pre beta. Secondly, Acid3 mostly tests CSS compliance in terms of obscure methods that were specifically crafted to break browsers. Failure to fill in a bunch of colored boxes means nothing in a bigger context. It has all the functionality that Firefox has (sans addons, which is the only real reason to use FF now), and it manages to do things faster. Plus, it has H.264 support, which Firefox may never have.

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
    Years
    Nope... Internet Explorer 9 is still crap, and still can't load Melative properly for this instance because it doesn't load XHTML documents properly:
    Spoiler:

Likewise, it loads properly in a browser, like Opera 10.5 Beta
    Spoiler:

If I recall correctly, doesn't Opera have terrible support for H.264 stuff?
    Opera does not support H264 HTML5 video and neither does Firefox. This is because H264 requires a license which they would have to pay, although just recently, whoever licensed H264 extended the time that allows these browser developers to license H264 for free, but after that... well, I don't know.

What Firefox and Opera 10.5 uses is Ogg Theora, which is a pantentless format. However, there is a drawback since Youtube HTML5 test and Vimeo does not use Ogg Theora, but H264, so you won't be able to play these videos unless you use a browser that supports HTML5 Video with H264 like Chrome, Safari or Webkit

twocows

Years
    Nope... Internet Explorer 9 is still crap, and still can't load Melative properly for this instance because it doesn't load XHTML documents properly:
    Spoiler:

Likewise, it loads properly in a browser, like Opera 10.5 Beta
    Spoiler:

Opera does not support H264 HTML5 video and neither does Firefox. This is because H264 requires a license which they would have to pay, although just recently, whoever licensed H264 extended the time that allows these browser developers to license H264 for free, but after that... well, I don't know.

What Firefox and Opera 10.5 uses is Ogg Theora, which is a pantentless format. However, there is a drawback since Youtube HTML5 test and Vimeo does not use Ogg Theora, but H264, so you won't be able to play these videos unless you use a browser that supports HTML5 Video with H264 like Chrome, Safari or Webkit
    Theora is technically inferior to H.264. Also, this is a tech preview of IE9; a pre-pre-pre beta. It's to be expected that some things don't work.

Gerri Shin

  
    Years
    all I can say is "It's about flipping time Microsoft caught up with the rest of the browser world." Now let's all ditch IE9 and tell them to hurry up with that Gazelle browser they were talking about last year.

Back