• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other] Intro Sprite Editing

BCTElite

Be still, my heart 'cause it's freakin' out
Years
  • Hi there, can anyone help me with editing the intro sprites for the Prof, Characters and Rival? I've tried following a tutorial for Unlz but its just a mess, is there a way to do it using NSE at all?

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    If you're already able to find the sprites in unLZ, then you can take the offsets of the sprites and open them in NSE. It should be simple enough to replace them from there.

BCTElite

Years
  • If you're already able to find the sprites in unLZ, then you can take the offsets of the sprites and open them in NSE. It should be simple enough to replace them from there.

This is the way I tried it, however it only saves the sprite whereas the palette doesn't change, and trying to change it in APE just breaks the game.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen yesterday
    This is the way I tried it, however it only saves the sprite whereas the palette doesn't change, and trying to change it in APE just breaks the game.

Breaks the game in what way? Although the sprites are in 256 color mode, this does not mean you can actually use all 256 colors. You have to leave some for the background and textbox to use. Look at the tile viewers -- the hero, Oak and rival sprites in the intro are all tilesets. They use small portions of a 256 color palette.

BCTElite

Years
  • Here is a tutorial you can try, it worked for me iirc.

I've tried this out, and i've either been getting black screen with no way to forward on or things like this:
    W0FT6O3.png

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    If I remember correctly I used APE to change the palette, you just have to make sure you're changing exactly the right colours. It definitely shouldn't be breaking the game though, are you sure it was APE that did that or the sprite itself?

BCTElite

Years
  • If I remember correctly I used APE to change the palette, you just have to make sure you're changing exactly the right colours. It definitely shouldn't be breaking the game though, are you sure it was APE that did that or the sprite itself?

I have no idea what was breaking it, but yeah the pallet was the right one, as when I tested it in game before adding the image in it was working fine, but the sprite was the wrong colour. It's when I used Unlz to put the sprite into the game that it broke, but I followed the tutorial to a T and it still didn't work.

To be honest it might just be easier to skip it and carry on.

Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    I have no idea what was breaking it, but yeah the pallet was the right one, as when I tested it in game before adding the image in it was working fine, but the sprite was the wrong colour. It's when I used Unlz to put the sprite into the game that it broke, but I followed the tutorial to a T and it still didn't work.

To be honest it might just be easier to skip it and carry on.

I think I just inserted the sprite with NSE 2, try that?

BCTElite

Years
  • I think I just inserted the sprite with NSE 2, try that?

well the good news is, the game didn't crash
    the bad news is this happened
    4RfxT8Q.png

I'm guessing its a pallet issue, is there a simple way to fix this?
    This is the sprite I imported
    7Ti9Qn5.png

Some extra information, the sprite is 16 colours, and I can locate all of the colours by looking at the pallet view in the rom,
    vAqb6Yj.png

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2021
    well the good news is, the game didn't crash
    the bad news is this happened
    4RfxT8Q.png

I'm guessing its a pallet issue, is there a simple way to fix this?
    This is the sprite I imported
    7Ti9Qn5.png

Some extra information, the sprite is 16 colours, and I can locate all of the colours by looking at the pallet view in the rom,
    vAqb6Yj.png
    Have you tried using APE to correct the palette now?

Back