• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Introducing fan characters

Years
  • How do I introduce a fan character in a fan fic? I want to start off one of my fics, if I ever get round to it, with a fan character. I also want to put new ones in as I go along. How do I make references to fan-made places also, which don't exist in the game/anime canon?

Reniko_Seika

He who plays the hacks
    Years
  • There are many ways to do this. For starters, your character needs a history, something believable. You could have this character as relation to a canon character, or an acquaintance, I find this way to be the easiest. Fan characters don't need to have any form of relation with canon, you can just link their tale to events from the game/anime. You just need to find something that suits the character you have in mind.

Happy writting.
    ~Reniko

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    You do it exactly the same way as you do anime characters. Bring them in, describe just a little at the beginning, and use them like you would a canon. Same deal goes for fan-made places.

...Why would you do it any other way?

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • How do I introduce a fan character in a fan fic? I want to start off one of my fics, if I ever get round to it, with a fan character. I also want to put new ones in as I go along. How do I make references to fan-made places also, which don't exist in the game/anime canon?
    Mizan's easy-step-guide to introducing fan characters
    Assuming your fic is character driven, then you'll probably need in-depth characters as opposed to certain(but not all) oneshots that are mostly plot driven.

1. Design - You'll want to plan how your characters look like, their mannerisms, their personality and background history before you introduce them. This will help you in avoiding logical and historical inconsistencies in your writing as your fic progresses. Also, it's kinda fun. :D
    2. Introduction - When you first introduce your OC, make sure to not reveal too much at once unless you have a logical reason for doing so. This, in the industry, is considered an info-dump and is generally noted to be a poor style of writing(in most cases). Your best bet, is to sprinkle snippets of the character's history and mannerisms in your writing so that your reader's can slowly build a picture of him gradually. The only exception to this rule is your OC's appearance where you are allowed to describe it all at once. Again, you may risk info-dumping if you go into too much detail.
    3. Implementation - Stick to your set details and try not to change it too much if not logical. Avoid Mary Sue's and Marty Stu's at all costs.

Back