• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Invisible mode, do you use it?

Osha_say_wott?!

osha osha
    Years
    I use it. I go invisible when I'm working on my profile or blog. Although, it doesn't seem to help since you can still tell if someone is online by looking at their recent activity or something. xD That's how HIKARI always knew when I was online, even though I would use invisible mode. ;p
    See, I still remember you, Hikari. xD

Years
    I have actually been switching my statuses for a while now. If I feel like I need some distance I go invisible, but most of the time I'm without it. The length of me being invisible depends on the situation.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I don't think I have ever turned invisible on, and I don't think I ever will. I don't see the point of hiding from people when no one really bugs me here, unlike in other places.

Years
    • Seen May 9, 2024
    I use it when I don't want people to see that I'm online. It's usually one or two people that I don't want to know I'm online, and its really rather rare. I do tend to use invisible mode when I feel like I spend too much time here as well. Just to create the illusion that I actually do have a life outside of PC.

Years
    I haven't used it since I was modded a couple years back. I just figure if I'm online I should be here to do my job (answer people's questions, etc), and if they can't see me then I'm not much good to them.

Sometimes I'm only online for a second, so it would be handy for those times I guess (since I wouldn't have enough time to answer questions, etc) but I'm not going to go and turn it on/off EVERY time I nip online, so.. meh. :P

Sirfetch’d

I tested it out for a day once and hated it. I really don't see the point unless you are being stalked.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    I've been invisible for most of my time here. If given the choice to be followed or not, I'd rather not.

I'd also rather not be PMed just because I'm online.

Last edited:

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
    I do tend to use invisible mode when I feel like I spend too much time here as well. Just to create the illusion that I actually do have a life outside of PC.

Lol

Nah. Even though I haven't had the chance to use it (although I have been aware of its existence) I still wouldn't. What reason have I? Let the world be graced by my presence! I don't really have anyone to hide from here, lol. Plus, it's fun to see my username on that wonderful little Online Users list. Especially now that it's all colorful. ;3

Granted, there are times when I get on just for the sake of it, and don't want people to think I'm ignoring them or being too lazy . . . lol. Plus, when I'm on my phone and don't want people to think I'm ignoring VMs or anything. >.>; Lol, maybe I'll use it for those times. We'll see.

Melody

Banned
    Years
    I have invisible mode on. Mostly because while I welcome random messages, there are a few people I don't want to see me online right now. Even then some of them can see me anyways, but they'd have to be staring at the index or who's online to find me.

I don't need too much attention right now, and I'm not seeking it. >_>

When asked when I would stop being invisible:

I may. Depends on my mood. Currently I favor invisibility for many reasons, the primary one being that no one can tell when/if I'm active or online unless I make myself obvious by posting. This cuts down on things like newb PMs and things like that. If you haven't already noticed, I don't do the welcome wagon thing, I just happen to be friendly when I come across people normally, as long as they're not rude and/or extremely n00by.

Note that there's a difference between a newbie/newb and a n00b, the primary one being that newbies are nice to meet and get along with, and n00bs are not. A n00b is often taxing to deal with, and is sometimes even a troll in disguise, or otherwise could turn out to be an absolute jerk later on. Now I'm not saying all n00bs can't be transformed, I just don't have the patience for it all of the time.

So invisibility is a must-have state; besides I have other sites I visit too...and I don't really intend to get more involved in PC than I can handle. Although I have been active on the battle server because I found the people there to be nice, and the system to be more real-time when it comes to chatter...which is far more superior than posting on the forums usually. Although I do occasionally partake in FG or D&D or even the DCC when the topic is amiable, I don't really push myself to be "active". I pride myself in making quality posts when I post outside my comfort zones such as CCP/FG.

Invisibility also has the added effect of helping me to avoid drama. Because I am not percieved as online outside of staff; I can't be pulled into others' drama, my VMs are more signal than noise, and I get fewer "Random" contacts which turn out to be stupid and/or annoying, so I can leave my profile open to VMs for everyone and still get some random people to VM me occasionally. I also find that being invisible reduces expectations of a reply; so I am free to choose to not reply and people are not hurt by that choice as often, especially when real life makes demands upon my time and attention that require me to neglect PC for any amount of time.

So instead of being wide open and having to resort to letting people know when I'll be inactive, I just remain low activity, with exception to responsibilities or obligations that I may have; like battle leagues or diplomacy and things like that.

Last edited:

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
    Nope, I never have and I don't think I ever will. I just don't see any point in going invisible; people will find out sooner or later anyway. I want to stay visible!

Years
    I think I've had invisible mode turned on for a year or two, now. Mainly because I don't necessarily want everyone knowing the last time I've been online.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    Nope, hardly ever. I don't really find much use for it considering I don't care who knows when I was last online/doesn't like me etc

Echidna

i don't care what's in your hair
    Years
    I only used it once for a couple weeks consecutively because I was away from PC and wanted to be able to check in every couple days. Come to think of it, that doesn't really make sense but ok >_>

Years
    • Seen Feb 20, 2024
    I never used it on PC but have used it in other places.
    I'm not that popular over here so there's no need for me to hide xD

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    I almost never use invisible mode. Makes things more difficult for others, and, sometimes, myself.

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
    Years
    Never used it; never will. I don't think that it's a bad thing for people to know that you are online.

It makes people feel uneasy when one goes invisible, not knowing whether the user wanted to hide, stopped coming to PC, or both.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I used to use invisible when I was a normal member, however I'm been fully visible since my modship :) Just so if people need me they know when I'm online.

Years
    I've used it in the past out of random and on-and-off here, but nowadays I probably will never go invisible because of how many people communicate with me, either through PM or VM, and since my promotion, I have wanted people to know that I am available when they see me in the online list.

Back