• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IP Address Change??

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
Years
  • Just wondering if there is a way to change my IP address?? I have wireless internet with 2 other PC's running off the same connection, is it possible to change mine to be different than the others??
    Thanks!! :)

Years
  • What I think your getting at is that you want to change it to be different from your network's external IP address, which isn't possible because the IP address you can change is just your computer's private IP address, which is it's IP address on your network. Your internet IP address is the address given to your router by your ISP.

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • Yes, that is what I meant and since that cannot be done, is the possible a way to hide it and still connect to other sites?? Or some way to hide it from any one on a site that would have access to that info?? And just to make it clear, I need to pull a prank, but can't do it if my IP can be identified!!

John-117

Jirachi lover
    Years
  • There is no legal way that I can think of
    Yes, there is Tor. Its for family, businesses, activists, medias and military. But you need to configure stuff to change ip address. Not really change it, but through a proxy server to surf the internet.

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2013
    From an IT standpoint, it's a pain to have to figure out which proxy servers are out there and block them to keep productivity higher.

Irrelevant

And the proxy server could exist solely for the purpose of being the man-in-the-middle and stealing the account information of the users that use it.

Valid point, I suppose..providing that ~RNC~ is trying to pull a prank...with his own credit card..or something -.-

Years
    • Seen Oct 3, 2013
    Hijacking an email account for spam purposes can be done through this method.

Common sense would indicate that if he's pulling a "prank" where he's trying to separate himself from his usual "online identity" he (most likely) wouldn't be using personal avenues that tie back to him to begin with.

And you're putting a lot of trust in the AV that the proxy server uses if it isn't for a MITM attack.

-------------------------

tl;dr don't use a proxy if you're intending to work with sensitive information that "matters"

~RNC~

Mother Of All Pokemon!!
    Years
  • No it's not illegal at all, it's like I said, I hope, there are 3 only 2 are used laptops in this house, I need to go to a site that the other uses to pull a prank, but the admin there knows the other and will tell it's me, I just need to hide it some how!!

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2010
    Well, before trying any of the methods to change your IP Address, try turning off your Cable/DSL Modem for five minutes. In some cases this will change your IP address. However, if that does not change your IP address, repeat the process for 8 hours instead of 5 minutes.

Back