• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

iPods in class

Her

Years
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    My school is trying a system where students are freely allowed to use iPod's/mp3's/etc in class on the grounds of 'it will help the students to focus on their work'. I personally believe the school board is only trying this because of the constant pressure from students and teachers alike, students because they want to listen to music freely in class and teachers because they're sick of the complaints they get from students.
    Now I don't know how this works around the world, so if this is a wasted topic, I'm sorry. Anyway, do you think iPod's should be used in class? If so, why? If not, why?

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    In my school the rules are you can have electronics but once the first morning bell rings they have to go in your bag for the rest of the day. The rule is widely ignored by most teachers who's only comment is to hide them if anybody comes in.

My opinion, we should be able to use them as long as we don't blatantly ignore a teacher by listening during a lecture.

Steven

[i]h e l p[/i]
    Years
  • I don't see a problem with using them if you're texting. Obviously calling people, playing games, or listening to music is a huge distraction. Texting can be but it's not that likely.

I think the rules should be that the teacher should enforce whatever rules involving electronics they feel are neccassary. Why can't we text, play games, listen to music, etc at lunch? Really? That's just stupid. What do they want me to do, take notes on how my corn is still frozen because the cafeteria ladies can't cook?

:/

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
  • Texting while working = Can text others for help. Though I dont really have any friends in same classes or their numbers.

^^What you cant do that stuff during lunch? We can. Haha.

Well I guess music can be allowed, with some rules like 1 headphone in, or none while teacher is talking or just because. And that its quite and your neighbors cant hear it.

Music can be a distraction sometimes I guess, though I can actually help you. More or less. -plugs in my mp3- ahh classical

Years
  • The ones who text and play games in class aren't going to learn as much as the others. If you need to have it to focus then you're someone who just has trouble focusing in general and it's going to be more of an uphill struggle for you to learn things in class. It reminds me of something I just learned last week, which is that, apparently, in France you learn math with a calculator. I ran into a kid who'd been able to do Calculus back in France, but when he got here to America he struggled to do multiplication by hand.

I mean, if you're super focused and smart it won't matter if you have an ipod or not, but since it would be unfair to let you have one and the struggling students not have one it would be better not to let anyone have one. I'm mostly talking about high school here. College is kind of a different matter since it's something you pay for and it's "extra" education. There, if you don't pay attention, it's your own loss. It's your own loss in high school, too, but everyone ought to get through high school and we should have rules to make sure as many people get as much from their education out of HS as possible.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Oh yay, a topic I can use my ~teacher in the making~ perspective on. I don't think electronics of any sort should be used during class. It's a distraction. I mean, I know I wouldn't be able to focus on class if I was texting, listening to music, etc during lectures and work. Teachers can easily be tuned out when the student is playing games, listening to their iPod, etc. However, I don't think it would be a problem during non-academic times like lunch, break (I went to a high school that had a 15 minute break, like a snack time type thing), or during down time, like sitting in the gym during certain tests after you're finished and have left the testing areas. Or if you had a legit family issue that you needed to stay updated on, I don't see a problem in texting in class for that, as long as you bring a written excuse (ie. pregnant or sick family member). But basically, no electronics in class, but I don't see a big fuss over having them during non-academic things as mentioned.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    It probably shouldn't be allowed, but how many teachers actually enforce that rule? At my college, none of them do. I, for one, am perfectly capable of listening to music whilst working. So it suits me fine.

Most people go for texting rather than listening to music though. I think allowing iPods could work; if people are listening to music, it's less likely they'll chat to others which is way more distracting. imo, don't allow it whilst the teacher is talking, but once they're finished and everyone is just putting pens to paper I don't see why it would be a bad thing.

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
  • When working I guess so but no texting because of cheating. What I mean is when they're given assignments, they can listen to music and when done, play games.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • When working I guess so but no texting because of cheating. What I mean is when they're given assignments, they can listen to music and when done, play games.

No offense, but instead of doing that, why not work on homework for other classes? That's what I did in high school, and it's especially helpful if you're in an extracurricular activity that requires you stay after school, like marching band or theatre rehearsals. I mean, I guess that'd be up to the choice of the student, but I personally would rather have my students working on other homework so that they have more free time at home and over the weekend.

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    The only time I see it being appropriate is in the mornings before class starts, at lunch, or in free period. People who text during class or listen to their ipods are ridiculously rude in my opinion. Your teacher has spent time preparing notes and lectures they think is important for you to learn, so you should have the same amount of respect for the teacher so their efforts are worth it. How would you feel if during a big presentation you were giving, you look out and see people tuning out to their phones or music?

I always thought it was rude. Some teachers allow it during free time at the end of the class period, but during? I don't like it.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
    Years
  • Oh yay, a topic I can use my ~teacher in the making~ perspective on. I don't think electronics of any sort should be used during class. It's a distraction. I mean, I know I wouldn't be able to focus on class if I was texting, listening to music, etc during lectures and work. Teachers can easily be tuned out when the student is playing games, listening to their iPod, etc. However, I don't think it would be a problem during non-academic times like lunch, break (I went to a high school that had a 15 minute break, like a snack time type thing), or during down time, like sitting in the gym during certain tests after you're finished and have left the testing areas. Or if you had a legit family issue that you needed to stay updated on, I don't see a problem in texting in class for that, as long as you bring a written excuse (ie. pregnant or sick family member). But basically, no electronics in class, but I don't see a big fuss over having them during non-academic things as mentioned.

Same opinion, and same perspective as well. 8D I remember in high school for me, many students would blatantly ignore the teacher while listening to iPods. For me, it's partially a respect issue, and partially a principle issue.

On the one hand, you have teachers who are in this profession not for themselves, but for the sake of the students, who try to teach skills and knowledge to give the students a better life, and the students respond by ignoring the teacher and listening to music? I personally find that very disrespectful.

And on the other hand, as a school, it is the job of the school and the teachers to make sure that students learn and focus on their schoolwork. If you allow them to use video games and iPods in class, they probably won't be able to focus as well, or use their time as wisely as they could without them. So the school should prevent the use of these items in class.

But I do agree that allowing them during break times would be acceptable, as it allows the students to relax in between classes, which could be beneficial, in a sense.

Just my two cents worth. ^__^

Guitarstar76

Breeder/Pokecatcher
    Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2011
    Well in my school some teachers don't allow ipods and phones and stuff, but alot of them don't care at all, and let you listen to music. If your grade drops because of it then it's on you not them.

Saltare.

Brain bangin'
    Years
  • If we're doing independent work, my teachers have let us listen to our iPods, as long as we weren't playing games and such.

Music helps me concentrate, so I always have my iPod on me. Always.

Mr. Waltzie

Major Fan!
    Years
  • Lucky school, 'cuz in my school, no electronic devices allowed. And not even cell-phone. Once we brought those forbidden items like electronic devices to school, the teachers or discipline teacher will have to take action for it, like... seizing it?

But I really do need music to concentrate on everything

Blue Nocturne

Not THAT one.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Mar 6, 2013
    My school supposedly had a very strict policy on electronics, but nearly no one payed any attention to it. Most of my teachers would let us listen to music during class, but most of them had two conditions:

- Not so loud the person next to you can hear... through both of the damn headphones!
    - Hide them when a higher up poked their head in.

It definitely helps me concentrate, as long as I remember to put a playlist on so I don't have to wade through the mountains of crap on my iPod.

I Laugh at your Misfortune!

Normal is a synonym for boring
    Years
  • It reminds me of something I just learned last week, which is that, apparently, in France you learn math with a calculator. I ran into a kid who'd been able to do Calculus back in France, but when he got here to America he struggled to do multiplication by hand.

Um, won't you need a calculator to do maths eventually, assuming you study it to a high enough level? Like, do american high schools not use calculators? Not trying to criticise or anything, this is just something I was totally unaware of.

Anyway, to stay on topic - I find it extremely hard to believe anyone who says inputting extra, irrelevant information in the form of music or texting or whatever will help them to learn. Sounds to me like a flimsy justification to not pay attention.

Phantom1

[css-div="font-size: 12px; font-variant: small-cap
    Years
  • I had one teacher that allowed them, and it acutally helped on tests. We could listen to them during tests, provided we showed the teacher that there weren't answers on them somehow. It actually helped.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
  • Well see, I can understand letting people listen to their iPod when they're actually WORKING. However, if there's a lecture going on, it's just plain rude and condescending to the instructor :/

And I mean I can understand why teachers would allow students to do it, but I know I wouldn't. That's something too easily taken advantage of.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
  • Um, won't you need a calculator to do maths eventually, assuming you study it to a high enough level? Like, do american high schools not use calculators? Not trying to criticise or anything, this is just something I was totally unaware of.

Anyway, to stay on topic - I find it extremely hard to believe anyone who says inputting extra, irrelevant information in the form of music or texting or whatever will help them to learn. Sounds to me like a flimsy justification to not pay attention.
    Usually in elementary school they try to keep the use of a calculator to a very minimum. They rather the kids learn how to do math without depending on a calculator. Then there are some math teachers you'll have later in middle school and high school who prefer you do some of their work without a calculator if it's something simple enough that you wouldn't need it. However, as the work becomes more complex and you get into classes like Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Calculus the use of a scientific calculator becomes very needed. At the same time though, you don't want to have to depend on a calculator if you can't do simple multiplication, division, addition, or subtraction problems in your head. Which is what I believe is what Scarf was going with her recent discovery and its relation to electronics becoming a distraction or dependency.

As for where I stand on the use of mobile devices or iPods in a classroom, I find it a distraction. Personally, I can listen to music and do work at the same time, however, when it comes to listening to music and paying attention to someone, then I'll easily lose focus on the person talking. Some people find it hard enough to do even the former of the two. So, from a teacher's point of view (if I were one) I would not have my students using their phones or iPods / MP3's, because I'd rather I know I have their attention on me and what I'm teaching rather than what they're friend's latest status update is or what song they want to play next. I have no issue with them playing music and I guess to an extent using their phones before and after school starts and even during lunch. Although, that opens up a new discussion: If kids were allowed to use their phones and iPods during free periods and lunch, would it hinder face-to-face socializing?

Ivysaur

Grass dinosaur extraordinaire
    Years
  • When I was in school, we all brought game boys and we used to play them during lunch- one kid would play and six kids would surround him and ask for a try at the game. So I don't see the issue on bringing electronics and using them in their free time- phones, specially, they can be really useful.

But, like Sydian, the purpose of classes is not being entertained, but learning. The same way you know you have to turn off your phone and you wouldn't think of listening to music when you go to the cinema, you shouldn't do that in class. Not even texting unless you have a really good excuse, either. You go to class to listen to your teacher and learn, if you start listening to music or writing messages for somebody else instead of listening to them, what's the point of even going to class? You can read the textbook and do homework, well, at home.

I mean, I'm really annoyed when my classmates start browsing on their computers instead of listening to the professor. Or listening to music. Or playing Super Mario World in an emulator. Or just talking with each other. We are in an University class. Asistence is voluntary, they are paying for the classes, and they just don't care. If one day I feel like that, I just skip class and go to the cafeteria, it's a million times more polite and respectful to the teacher and your classmates.

I guess that if adult people who pay can't even pay attention to what the teacher says and need to find an alternate source of entertainment somewhere, somehow, we should try and get the children to get used to it before it's too late for them.

Back