• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Iris: "What A Kid!"

Years
  • I can't really see real issue with this.Iris is 10 year old child having common behaviour for kids.Not being so much familiar with Ash's past prior to coming to Unova aswell cultures between Unova and other regions like Hoenn,Johto,Sinnoh etc. being very different explains why she may question his ability as trainer .Sure her constant tendency of trying to correct him can seem annoying and it is unfair at times needing to cut him some slack but to go in her defense its not like Ash wasn't asking for it at times.Some of his rookie mistakes he did at start falling for Iris baits showed visible signs of immaturity opening material for arguing.

Though i agree with people who said how it was more justified when Misty criticized Ash back in day when he was complete newbie and naive kid.Her teasing and critics were more a way to keep him humble when his ego got out of control pointing out mistakes which helped him in his future growth as trainer.

Im not sure if i would call them "carbon copies" of each other.
    Misty has different personality for most part being tomboyish temperative girl which falled for romance and things she adored being quite snarky while Iris is more along the lines of being playful yet wild jungle type of girl who likes to act smart.
    From what i recall she was also more violent in start than Iris is.

Aside from teasing about battling skills Iris doesn't really helps in mentoring Ash either being vastly different character.

Speaking from personal experience, yeah, my then-fellow 10-year-olds ripped on me, so what Iris is doing is kinda realistic. Girls that age don't typically act that way, but if you want to throw in the fact that girls do mature faster than boys, well... The rest can be blamed on the writers' regression of Ash. I could buy it in Johto or AG -- not so much on D/P or B/W. I won't repeat myself further, so.

In terms of archetypes, every character usually has one or tries to be the anti-thesis or a mixture. It depends on whether the writers have one in design or work it as they go. Misty was a Trainer who had her act together, barring her re-training as a Gym Leader. May was supposed to be a newbie, while Dawn was supposed to be the more Contest experienced. (This is where the writers really went wrong on Dawn, as her actual Contest-ing undermined that supposed image.)

I haven't watched enough of Iris to make any assessment..., yet, anyway. Other than she seems to be more... action-driven than the others. (And, yes, she didn't slap Ash, yet, like Misty did in the early three episodes.) Not necessarily a bad thing. It's a work-in-progress, and we're only 25 episodes in. As always, time will tell.

Back