• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is a Blastoise/Keldeo deck viable without Beach and B-Kyurem?

Years
    • Seen Mar 1, 2014
    Title explains it, want to put some money into a Blastoise/Keldeo deck, throw a Mewtwo and a regular Kyurem in, and it seems like a nice idea, fine for budget, only going a little over 250$ (Because of full arts). I'm just going to be going to locals for now, would one of these be viable without B-Kyurem EX and T-Beaches?

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    It is possible to build that deck without those 2 cards. The overall deck just changes quite a bit.

With BKB you need more superior energy retrievals, less secondary attackers and probably not float stones required.

With just Keldeo/Blastoise. You can get away with only using 2 or so Superior energy retreivals since you dont consistantly burn energy and it just sits on a keldeo. You also tend to use float stones. As appose to beach, i would suggest pokemon center at least 3 of them. This card combined with keldeo ex allows for you to heal any one of your pokemon you want for 20 hp, and since keldeo's game plan is to power it up with like 7 energy and just OHKO everything, beach doesnt really help your opponent. This deck can also use Kyurem with Blizzard Burn as a secondary attacker instead of blastoise. Being able to hit for 120 for 3 energy, 10 more damage than keldeo ex, and can equip bangles for a total of 150.

Granted beach and Black Kyurem can help this deck. Just keldeo blastoise is by no means a push over.

Years
  • It got to the point of being a top tier deck without either of those cards, so basically, I'm agreeing with Profen's assessment. You most certainly can, you're just looking at constructing the decklist differently without those cards as opposed to with those cards.

Blastoise-Keldeo is from a fun deck type to run, though, and I'd personally run it and decks of its ilk no matter if they were any good in tournaments or not.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    Not to mention that even if you have a good deck, it doesn't mean you are going to win. I just got first the last tournament i went to with my beedrill deck. Not even mentioned anywhere in tiers. Its really the player and not just a good deck. Play choices are more just as important as the right build of a deck.

An example of this is that there was a player that had a keldeo/blastoise deck, with a horrible deck construction. Like 20 water with DCE and like no skyla (which imo is really important for 2 step decks). I destroyed it with my beedrill deck. Then for fun we switched decks and i still managed to beat that player with the horrible deck they made.

So basically, just make the right play choices, and even with not so competitive decks can do well. If you need help with that and even deck constrution. I would suggest youtube, watch other good players. Especially the Topcut channel. The player featured mainly on that channel is pretty amazing and wins with terrible decks, just because he knows the correct play. What makes it better is that he goes over what hes thinking while hes streaming it. So not only do you know the good plays, but you know why they are good.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2015

The best way to help people build is to share less talk and more lists!

To answer your question, yes you can obviously run the deck without BKEX and beaches, but they undoubtably add such strength and consistency! With the Super Energy Retreivals included in a BKB list it gives you the ability to attack with blastoise allot easier!

Here's two lists of mine that may be of help!

B - K - B

Pokémon:
    4 - Squirtle
    3 - Blastoise
    3 - Keldeo EX
    1 - Black Kyurem EX
    = 11

Supporter:
    4 - Juniper
    4 - Skyla
    2 - N
    2 - Bianca
    = 12

Stadium:
    3 - Tropical Beach
    = 3

Trainer:
    4 - Rare Candy
    4 - Ultra Ball
    3 - Pokémon Catcher
    3 - Energy Retrieval
    2 - Superior Energy Retrieval
    2 - Tool Scrapper
    1 - Heavy Ball
    1 - SuperRod
    1 - Scoop Up Cyclone [Ace Spec]
    = 21

Energy:
    3 - Basic Lighting
    10 - Basic Water
    = 13

Deck Total: 60

B - K - B

(Without Tropical Beach)

Pokémon:
    4 - Squirtle
    3 - Blastoise
    3 - Keldeo EX
    1 - Black Kyurem EX
    = 11

Supporter:
    4 - Juniper
    4 - Skyla
    3 - N
    3 - Bianca
    = 14

Trainer:
    4 - Rare Candy
    4 - Ultra Ball
    3 - Pokémon Catcher
    3 - Energy Retrieval
    2 - Superior Energy Retrieval
    2 - Tool Scrapper
    1 - Heavy Ball
    1 - SuperRod
    = 21

Energy:
    3 - Basic Lighting
    11 - Basic Water
    = 14

To do as your asking I would make these changes:-

Blastoise / Keldeo / Mewtwo

(Without Tropical Beach & BKEX)

Pokémon:
    4 - Squirtle
    3 - Blastoise
    3 - Keldeo EX
    1 - Mewtwo EX
    1 - Kyurem
    = 12

Supporter:
    4 - Juniper
    4 - Skyla
    3 - N
    3 - Bianca
    = 14

Trainer:
    4 - Rare Candy
    4 - Ultra Ball
    4 - Energy Retrieval
    3 - Pokémon Catcher
    2 - Tool Scrapper
    1 - Heavy Ball
    1 - SuperRod
    = 20

Energy:
    14 - Basic Water
    = 14

There you go bro! Happy new year!

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2015
    I dont suggest running blastoise without 2 or 3 stadiums. While you may not have beach, you cant leave yourself open to frozen city. If that stadium ever hits the play field. You have basically an automatic loss. As i said earlier. Use Pokemon Center. it works great with Keldeo Ex.

Back