• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Arcanine a legendary pokemon?

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    It's a pseudo-legendary.
    In other words it's total base stat is very close to the lower stated legendaries [580], but
    it is not a legendary in any meaning of the definition.
    Other pseudo-legendaries include :

• Dragonite
    • Tyranitar
    • Salamence
    • Metagross
    • Garchomp
    Arcanine's species classification does indeed say 'Legendary', but this is only because it was believed to be in the Pokemon world's ancient times.
    But the definition of legendary in the Pokemon world is:

Everything I bolded is everything Arcanine is not.
    Therefore, not a legendary.
    I already quoted all of that in another thread. I don't believe in "pseudo-legendaries" or legendaries; if a Pokemon is legendary, it's legendary.

You call that a legendary when it could be walled/defeated by so many things. :[ That's quite unethical of a legendary, dontcha think? Legendaries are supposed to be strong, now.
    I never found Mew to be that strong, even though it was a Psychic in a time when Psychics were god. Power does not equal legendary status.

Fishyman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • No.
    • Seen Sep 26, 2009
    a lvl. one taillow could beat a level 100 arcanine.. so no.

Jad

Pokemon And Megaman Fan
    Years
    not sure
    not found quickly in grass
    battle style is like grantina, rayquazy...
    strong pokemon

kinda like rotom or something

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2010
    Fishyman, ive seen that exact image on 6 different posts, you fail at being unique.

Taillow lv. 1 with focus band (or was it sash?) using endeavor on 1st turn, it survives, taking enemy down to 1 hp than quick attacks the enemy poke k.o.ing it, endeavor is gotten from tutor/egg (I really dont know)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Fishyman, ive seen that exact image on 6 different posts, you fail at being unique.

Taillow lv. 1 with focus band (or was it sash?) using endeavor on 1st turn, it survives, taking enemy down to 1 hp than quick attacks the enemy poke k.o.ing it, endeavor is gotten from tutor/egg (I really dont know)
    Prove it. Do the same exact thing in first or second gen... Can't? Didn't think so.

Fishyman

Banned
    Years
    • Age 29
    • No.
    • Seen Sep 26, 2009
    Oh, sorry, I didn't realize that I should go out of my way to find you your own special "fail" image.

Would you like a lolipop with that?

GoldCold Ice

Go Zoroark!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2012
    [jq]if he was a legend-

he would be banned from the battle frontier
    he would be hard to catch
    have weird music playing when you encoutered him
    although 555 is a respectable base stat it's at least 600 in a legend

but in the Anime, they thought he was in acient times[/jq]
    Not all legendaries are banned, such as Latias, Latios, Zapdos, Articuno, Moltres, etc.
    Some legendaries are pretty easy to catch.
    Latias, Latios, Cresselia, and Shaymin all has normal music, rather then a different tune.

Anyways, Arcanine isn't legendary, only its species states it is. Arcanine was supposed to be a legendary when making generation one iirc, but I think they decided not to.

Yeah I agree its not only its species states it is

Idiot!

One shot, one kill.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 17, 2011
    Just for the sake of counters.

If legends have only one chance to be caught, Rotom is legendary. RBY Lapras, Eevee, starters are legendaries. Platinum Giratina is not legendary.

If legends cannot breed, Lugia and Mew are not legendaries.

If legends are rare, Rotom, Clefable, RBY Lapras are legendary.

Arcanine boasts of being the Pokemon having the highest stats from just one evolution.

Druid

she's not anyone...
    Years

Sorry, I feel the need to prove you wrong.

First off, that technique could easily beat pretty much any legendary, so it doesn't prove that Arcanine isn't a legendary. However, if I am not mistaken, Arcanine learns the move ExtremeSpeed, which would, considering the fact that a level 100 Arcanine's speed is higher than the speed of a level 1 Taillow, allow Arcanine to defeat the Taillow before it could use quick attack.

So yeah, sorry about that.

Also, my opinion is that Arcanine is a lower class legendary, (I kinda just made that up XD) rather than a full legendary like Entei or Rayquaza. However, given only two options, I would place it with the legendaries.

Last edited:

Azonic

hello friends
    Years

If legends have only one chance to be caught, Rotom is legendary. RBY Lapras, Eevee, starters are legendaries. Platinum Giratina is not legendary.

Arcanine boasts of being the Pokemon having the highest stats from just one evolution.
    Okay, you seriously need to realize that it is the combination of different characteristics that make a Pokemon legendary. :/

Tox

fight me
    Years
    No. Arcanine is just a normal Pokemon with good stats. It evolves. It's not pseudo-legendary either. They all have three forms.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Well, he is a legendary type, as seen in the Pokedex and on the card:

He is legendary, but not a legendary.

Always confused me.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    It is literally the Legendary Pokémon in the Pokédex, but it isn't really considered a Legendary in the rung of me Mew and groupies.

Charmageddon

Charizard has evolved into ^
    Years
    • Seen Apr 25, 2016
    No. It is not a legendary. It is quite a strong fire-type that has some mythological links. It evolves, for starters. No legendaries evolve. You can get multiples in the same game. Unlike any legendary (apart from maybe Phione, but I'm not completely sure how that works). It is not at the lower end of the Pokedex. Legendaries are. Arcanine is not a legendary by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a pseudo-legendary. Pseudo-legandaries are limited to five pokemon so far - Dragonite, Tyranitar, Salamence, Metagross and Garchomp. Arcanine is an honourable mention on bulbapedia's pseudo-legendary page, no more.

a lvl. one taillow could beat a level 100 arcanine.. so no.

Only with F.E.A.R. A lvl. 1 Rattata could take out a lvl. 100 Arceus with F.E.A.R, doesn't mean Arceus isn't a legendary.

But still, Arcanine is not a legendary.

Lugia and Mew cannot breed.

Last edited:

ShadowDragon~

Dragon King Extra Ordinaire
    Years
    Arcanine is a legendary.. right...

It is described as a pokemon of myths, of legends, but it is not what people consider as legendary pokemon. Don't be so picky and lame about the "you can catch 2 giratina" and stuff-.-

If i can catch 50 of the same ledgedary pokemon in one day that would seem pretty special wouldn't it?

It evolves
    It doesn't require an event
    It isn't legendary powered (Some others aren't but does an Arcanine really look like a phione? phione was just an extra thingy ;)
    Pseudoledgedaries are very powerfull uber pokemon which can match up to ledgedaries in a fair fight. (Not all uber, but not all ledgedaries are uber anyway)
    And does this make growlithe legendary? Or is it a normal pokemon which evolves and become a legend?
    And a whole lot of other stuff which all say my word is law and Arcanine isn't legendary ^^

I have spoken!

Kitsune Genetica

Tea and crumpets!
    Years
    Arcanines are considered legendary, but not a true example, given the fact that there are known to be more than one. Consider it like this. Some real life religions worship certain animals, and the same could be applied to Arcanine, but Arcanine isn't worshipped as such, more revered.

Confused yet? :P

Back