• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is being obese okay?

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
    Like Omigosh, being obese isn't healthy for you. Eating too much fastfood like McDonalds isn't good for you either (evidence, watch Supersize Me!). Obesity like totally cause alot of problems like having excess fat on your body (obviously), higher risk of getting a heart attack, totally high risk of diabetes, and etc.

It's totally important to excersize to burn calories and have a balenced diet. https://www.mypyramid.gov/ is totally useful site to find how much servings of what you should totally eat..

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Of course it's not okay, but what counts as obese these days can be a lot of things really. If I recall correctly, someone can be obese and not look over weight now. There are a lot of medical definitions for them and now it's somehow classified as a disability, so for some, they do it for money. Others don't have any real control over it.

Obesity like totally cause alot of problems like having excess fat on your body (obviously), higher risk of getting a heart attack, totally high risk of diabetes, and etc.
    A person can be fat and technically still be healthy, depending on what they eat. As long as it's heart healthy, then technically they're in no danger. Also, diabetes can hit anyone, obesity levels, oddly enough, don't increase your chances of diabetes unless it runs in your family.

Haruka said:
    (evidence, watch Supersize Me!).
    People actually believe that trash? O_o

Haruka

Pokémon Coordinator
    Years
    People actually believe that trash? O_o

It's obvious. If you don't excersize and eat junk food, you totally become fat and obese in matter of months or years. Of course, I heard that people lost weight on a fast food diet with excersize. Fast food isn't the problem, it's the lack of excersize and overeating. It can totally be caused by excessive playing of video games or watching tv while snacking alot.

emerald fan

I WANT TO MAKE FRIENDS=)AIM ME
    Years
    omfg no! being fat is not ok!!!! its freaking ugly!! being fat IS wrong people need to start working out and get some mustle. and not siting in front of the t.v eating mcdonalds!!!

there is a guy who failed a grade 3 times and he is like 400 l.b. every 1 pokes him and calls him "100% obese"! and i dont mean to be mean or anything but fat people disguste me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please if you are obese GO ON A DIET!

Lucy Lu

Keep On Moving Foward...
    Years
    • Seen Mar 6, 2014
    It isn't okay to be obese because when you get older, you can get high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, and others. And you won't feel good or look good. I should know because I been watching this show called "Honey We Are Killing The Kids" on TLC. Like they show kids who don't exercise and just snack all the time. They show like a shock tacit telling parents when they turn 40, that is what they going to be. They use the latest techogloy. I am not kidding. And that blew me away. I am 25 and I am overweight. I don't want to be all fat and have those diseases when I am 40. So I am doing something about it, exercise and eating less. And eating healthy. Because I tend to overeat and on the wrong foods. Every kid need to eat healthy once in their lives. You can eat junk, but it got to be in moderation. And need to exercise.

And that is what I think about that. In the US, there is a major weight problem. But some of it can't be helped because of genetics. And I understand that.

Last edited:
    Years
    omfg no! being fat is not ok!!!! its freaking ugly!! being fat IS wrong people need to start working out and get some mustle. and not siting in front of the t.v eating mcdonalds!!!

there is a guy who failed a grade 3 times and he is like 400 l.b. every 1 pokes him and calls him "100% obese"! and i dont mean to be mean or anything but fat people disguste me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! please if you are obese GO ON A DIET!
    Ok, that was just wrong. You are being mean, even if it was unintentional. Maybe he's obese because of people like you, who don't care that he has a problem, and just say he's disgusting, and don't want do anying to help him.

I think that people should try to stop obesity, for health reasons. Its not good for your health to be obese.

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    Fat people should be sho...shoes. Thats it. Shoes. There is no hiding!!!

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2023
    Haruka said:
    It's obvious. If you don't excersize and eat junk food, you totally become fat and obese in matter of months or years. Of course, I heard that people lost weight on a fast food diet with excersize. Fast food isn't the problem, it's the lack of excersize and overeating. It can totally be caused by excessive playing of video games or watching tv while snacking alot.
    ...and people need a movie to tell them this? Food's never been the problem, it's the lack of exersize that hurts people. As long as someone doesn't go overboard on the junky stuff and eat good food every now and again, they'd be fine if they exersized everyday.

enyce

banned
    Years
    emerald fan said:

LMAO!!!!!!!! Hilarious. After all the goody goody people on this forum. This is the best post I have ever seen.

Anyway I dont think its okay. I mean you're destorying yourself physicaly and emotionally. Physically you're destorying yourself. Becuase it causes problems to the body. Heart and other internal organs are in danger because of fat.

But what really gets on my nerves is. When obese people complain about being fat. But do nothing about it and make the situation worse and stack calories on themselves. I used to work in a fast food resturant. About 7/10 customers. Would complain about their weight. Then order 25 dollars worth of fat. People like them should really just end their lives already. Because if they dont. The heart attack will.

A fat person complaing. Is like goths who dont slit their wrists. Just complaining about things. Then do nothing to make it better. While they eat their way to a grave. That truly disgusts me. So if you're not going to do anything about your fat. Other than whine about it. Please STFU or go commit suicide. Maybe both. Im not syaing fat people should kill themselves. Especially ones who are trying to do something about it. But really, no one gives a flying fudge you hate yourself because you're fat. You brought it on yourself.

Just my 0.02

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
    Years
    Maneachicken said:
    Fat people should be sho...shoes. Thats it. Shoes. There is no hiding!!!

And the stupid people that say obise people should get shot, or the poeple who try to cover it up should be shot as well. Dont say things like that cause there are people on PC that are obise. I wouldnt be surprised if you hurt soneones felings by saying that.

Natsuki

.bluefang.
    Years
    I really don't think being obese is a good thing healthwise. But if the question implied to this thread is whether or not being obese is okay in society, well that's a different story.

In America, our society is messed up. We have the media pouring all these ideas into people's heads that you have to look like Tyra Banks in order to be considered perfectly fit and healthy. You won't believe the things I've read in magazines or seen on TV that show people losing up to half their body weight on some crazed diet and I think to myself "Uhh...they looked fine before they started the diet anyway. o_O"

That could very well just be me, but what I'm saying is because of the vast influencial power media has over our society, people's views on what is considered "fit and healthy" varies as much as from person to person. Someone who I think is fit could seem a little chubby to someone else. IMO, as long as you yourself feel good about your body composition, then who cares what anyone else thinks of you? Just feel good and be happy with the body you've got, you only live once..

Now in terms of health, if someone is dangerously overweight, then I would like to caution them to try and exercise and eat more healthy foods that your body needs. One problem with this, however, is a lot of supposedly healthy foods are packed with preservatives and crap that our bodies can't digest and don't know what to do with. By eating real foods with real nutrients and real ingredients in them, your body just naturally knows what to do with them and can digest them properly, causing your body to work better (and as it's supposed to) in the end.

So to end my post, I think that looking obese and whatever should be acceptable in society, though healthwise you may want to look more deeply into it - it could be the difference between you living a longer and ultimately healthier life.

~Kelsey

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    and Emeralds Post was perfectly reasonable? OK... I was harsh, but obesity is a large problem due to the availability of Fatty, 'Killer' Foods. They are cheap on on the road side and easy to get.

Im sorry for my comment. It was meant to be a light Hearted Joke that went the wrong way...

emerald fan

I WANT TO MAKE FRIENDS=)AIM ME
    Years
    .... i was not trying to be mean but just saying what i think about it =\. the only reason i hate that kid is that he wears a shirt saying "no fat chicks". i mean come on if u are 400 l.b it is not ok to wear a shirt saying "no fat chicks".

Chizzy

Comic coming soon...
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 27, 2010
    lol True. Sorry Guys, I have just got very strong opinions on obesity...

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jun 2, 2014
    emerald fan said:
    .... i was not trying to be mean but just saying what i think about it =\. the only reason i hate that kid is that he wears a shirt saying "no fat chicks". i mean come on if u are 400 l.b it is not ok to wear a shirt saying "no fat chicks".

Stop watching Comedy Central.

^^NICK^^ v.3.0

Original Nick
    Years
    I don't think it's about being skinny or fat, because that all depends on how comfortable you are with how you look, self-esteem, all that good stuff. But it's not only about how you feel about yourself, you also have to take health into consideration, because obesity can cause many diseases and health disorders.

Like on that show Celebrity Fit Club. A lot of the overweight celebs had no problems with being heavy, because they had high self-esteem, and still felt atractive, and some were. But then, they considered the health aspects, like diabetes and hear disease, and that was their motivation to lose weight.

Who are we to judge what's okay? All I can say is whatever you do, be healthy.

Thomas

HAIL HYDRA!
    Years
    Obese? No, but just a small bit overweight, that is fine. I am overweight, but nowhere near being obese. Once you cross the line into obese your chances for high health risks increase tremendously.

Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2021
    Allstories said:
    Stop watching Comedy Central.

smartest thing i've heard in a long time. if you add "and mtv" to that sentence, it would be perfect.

*~Ashley~*

♥ Matt
    Years
    emerald fan said:
    same here maneachicken. =\
    Okay first, remember that we do have a four word per post rule. Smilies don't count as words either; neither do quotes. And second, you guys should never, EVER, say anyone deserves to be shot or needs to commit suicide. That's way out of line and highly disrespectful. It could cause a flame war, or worse yet, seriously hurt someone's feelings, so cut it out.

Anyway, being obese isn't okay. But I won't condemn anyone for being obese, especially if it isn't their fault. Everyone's metabolism is different, and because of that people have different body types. Each person needs to figure out for themselves how their metabolism works, and from there find a diet that's right for them.

The amount of easily accessed fast and junk food is not to blame. It's the people that eat it. If you know you have a slow metabolism, you should know better than to indulge on fatty and unhealthy foods. For most people, eating fast foods is not going to kill you. I've never seen Supersize Me, and don't plan on it either. After people saw it they all decided that fast food is disgusting and whatnot. I, personally, eat fast food at least once a week. But I also dance and get exercise on a fairly regular basis. At this point in my life, I know I have a fast metabolism and eating junk won't cause me to gain weight quickly. But I also realize that metabolisms change and that at some point, these foods won't be the best for me unless I get enough exercise to burn it off. Meh, this post all made sense in my head... <<;

In short, everyone's body is different and each person needs to decide for themself how to keep themselves healthy. It's not right for someone else to judge anyone else based on how they look.

Back