• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Brock really Black?

Status
Not open for further replies.
    Years
    Because as a child he didn't strike me as black, he just seemed "dark-skinned".

And then I had about every single class with a Filipino boy for 4 years. o_o And...He seems to be Filipino to me.

I would back that up, but I can only do that....with really insulting and probably off-centered stereotypes. xD

But he really does seem Filipino to me. :d What to you think?

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    He is an African-Japanese who got a depression tan after being rejected by the girl of his dreams at the age of 10. If this isn't it, May lighting strike my home back in Rio Grande and destroy it along with TS Dolly....

I'm serious.

Bly DX

Advanced Trainer
    Years
    Nah Brock is not black.

He's an anime character based on the Japanese tanned skin design.

His dad looks the same as him but his brothers and sisters are based on a lighter tone of tanned skin.

And to prove it, Brock's mom hasn't got any tanned skin at all.

Neko

PC's Traveling Artist
    Years
    I lol'd at the title. XD

Nah, Brock isn't black. Imo I think he's ASIAN! Just look at his eyes! xD He just has darker skin than everyone else. Hey, for all we know one parent could've been black and the other asian. xD *dies*

-Neko

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    I remember reading somewhere that he is Southern-Japanese. As in, the people that live on or around the Ryukyu Islands.
    However, I could be wrong. It seems to fit almost all of your descriptions, though. This area is closer to the Philippines. So...

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Perhaps he is Mexican? (are Mexican people black?) I mean, he wears that Mexican outfit in Takeshi's Paradise.

Years
    • Seen Jul 16, 2013
    This thread makes me lol. XD;

Um, when I was a kid, I used to think he was black, and so did my dad. XD; Now... I just think he's just asian. :x

Hiidoran

[B]ohey[/B]
    Years
    Perhaps he is Mexican? (are Mexican people black?) I mean, he wears that Mexican outfit in Takeshi's Paradise.
    I think that had more to do with Ludicolo. ;)
    But, he could. I mean, Tracey was added because they wanted an Anglo-Saxon looking person for the American audience. So, who know. But, I'm pretty sure he's just Southern Asian.

Years
    I remember reading somewhere that he is Southern-Japanese. As in, the people that live on or around the Ryukyu Islands.
    However, I could be wrong. It seems to fit almost all of your descriptions, though. This area is closer to the Philippines. So...

I'm amazed this hasn't exploded yet. Awesome. I'd go with the above, as per the original intention of the anime (i.e., being Japanese). More than that, does it matter what race he is? The series has never addressed race, nor will they. The only other people of ethnicity that I've observed on the anime were two black men in Team Rocket Grunt uniforms in the first movie. Then again, I haven't been watching current D/P, so maybe that has changed with the characters-of-the-day. Heh. Either way, that's a big topic for another day. And, these days, it's a non-issue to me, or if you want one, look at Jynx.

He's just Brock or Takeshi -- that's all that matters to me. Then again, Nintendo won't address it, so fans need to speculate, yes?

Dialga812

The crusade marches on.
    Years
    Because as a child he didn't strike me as black, he just seemed "dark-skinned".

And then I had about every single class with a Filipino boy for 4 years. o_o And...He seems to be Filipino to me.

I would back that up, but I can only do that....with really insulting and probably off-centered stereotypes. xD

But he really does seem Filipino to me. :d What to you think?

LOL I'm a FILIPINO TOO haha :) .........but I'm moved here in NZ

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Why wasn{t my theory accepted? this should've been closed after my post :(

Oh well, so's the life of me, Brock is obviously African-Japanese, but nobody cares, especially Nintendo.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back