• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is damaged cards (right from the factory) a normal thing now?

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    I'm just getting back into Pokemon cards after not buying/playing since Neo Destiny so maybe this is normal now, but I just opened an Ultra rare, full art holographic card out of a box set booster with no chance of the booster packs being damaged in the store or within the sealed box, yet the edges and rear of the card are scuffed, it's missing ink, and over-all bent.

If I contact the company would they do anything to replace this card?

I'm big on playing but even bigger on collecting, and it's frustrating that what should be a mint condition card is now like an 6/10 rating at best on a full art, ultra rare.

Attachments

• Is damaged cards (right from the factory) a normal thing now?
      DamagedCard.jpg
      468.2 KB · Views: 12
    Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm just getting back into Pokemon cards after not buying/playing since Neo Destiny so maybe this is normal now, but I just opened an Ultra rare, full art holographic card out of a box set booster with no chance of the booster packs being damaged in the store or within the sealed box, yet the edges and rear of the card are scuffed, it's missing ink, and over-all bent.

If I contact the company would they do anything to replace this card?

I'm big on playing but even bigger on collecting, and it's frustrating that what should be a mint condition card is now like an 6/10 rating at best on a full art, ultra rare.

I don't think it's normal, but TPCI probably won't replace it if you send it, since it's perfectly usable as far as the game as concerned while it's in a sleeve.

Years
  • I don't think it's normal

Those premium box merchandise, such as those that have the big cards, a figure, pins, plastic coin, etc
    The plastic "double tray" thing that gets used and pinches the 'promo cards' in place (Aerodactyl EX for example). That plastic tray thing makes for tricky pulling of those cards in pristine condition.

Product storage and shipping standards also 'happen', such as heavy box on top, hasty shelf cramming, staff on duty to stock store shelf not caring as much as should happen.

Years
  • Those premium box merchandise, such as those that have the big cards, a figure, pins, plastic coin, etc
    The plastic "double tray" thing that gets used and pinches the 'promo cards' in place (Aerodactyl EX for example). That plastic tray thing makes for tricky pulling of those cards in pristine condition.

Product storage and shipping standards also 'happen', such as heavy box on top, hasty shelf cramming, staff on duty to stock store shelf not caring as much as should happen.

Well, those, yes. I think the question specifically refers to Booster packs, though.

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    Well, those, yes. I think the question specifically refers to Booster packs, though.

Yeah the locked-in cards that are displayed through the packaging are hard to remove, but I was talking about the booster packs that are safely sat in the packaging, which in the case of this box set, were perfectly seated between two layers of highly flexible, barely ridged, plastic.

So it's probably best-case scenario for shipping and handling for the booster pack. There's no way the damage occurred anywhere except in the production line at some point, before being put into the box.

Last edited:

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
    Years
  • Actually with newer sets it is more common for "damaged" cards to appear, such as white "chips", crinkle cuts, miscuts, edge wear. English card quality is no where near Japanese cards

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    Actually with newer sets it is more common for "damaged" cards to appear, such as white "chips", crinkle cuts, miscuts, edge wear. English card quality is no where near Japanese cards

That's sad to hear. I noticed a lot of cards are poorly aligned when cut also, especially on trainers for me it seems. I have trainers with a tiny little yellow border on the right side, and then a 600% thicker yellow border on the left side.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    That's sad to hear. I noticed a lot of cards are poorly aligned when cut also, especially on trainers for me it seems. I have trainers with a tiny little yellow border on the right side, and then a 600% thicker yellow border on the left side.

That's usually a sign of fake cards, where are you buying from?

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    That's usually a sign of fake cards, where are you buying from?

I've noticed them out of various packs from Walmart, Toys R Us, 2 local geek shops, ect. They're legit. All of my friends that play have noticed it with their cards and commented on it also.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I've noticed them out of various packs from Walmart, Toys R Us, 2 local geek shops, ect. They're legit. All of my friends that play have noticed it with their cards and commented on it also.

That's weird, I've never, in over 100 packs of the XY format cards, seen this in my own collection or anyone elses.

Can you provide a few pics?

Years
    • Seen Sep 28, 2017
    That's weird, I've never, in over 100 packs of the XY format cards, seen this in my own collection or anyone elses.

Can you provide a few pics?

I just grabbed a deck that was close to me and looked through it, here's the best example of it in that deck.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen today
    I just grabbed a deck that was close to me and looked through it, here's the best example of it in that deck.

That's bizarre, I've only seen borders like that on fakes. Contact Pokemon Play, these aren't right. Either there's been a massive, massive error at a factory or there's something dodgy going on at a supply level

Years
  • I just grabbed a deck that was close to me and looked through it, here's the best example of it in that deck.

That's bizarre, I've only seen borders like that on fakes. Contact Pokemon Play, these aren't right. Either there's been a massive, massive error at a factory or there's something dodgy going on at a supply level

It's a quality control thing. Those happen. They shouldn't be happening as often as they sound like they're happening to you, ddelz, but miscuts themselves are relatively common for errors. There are collectors out there who will buy miscuts as they are still fairly uncommon.

Days
    • LA
    • Seen Sep 21, 2023
    Hey, got back into opening packs and collecting again ~2021. 2023 and I'm doing my first batches of graded cards etc, and this is one of the only similar complaints ive found from initial simple google searches. Been getting much heavier into it, and on these fresh pack pulled cards that didnt even breathe fresh air for more than 13 seconds, there's 'surface' damage supposedly, the edges are f*##ed, corners have damage, it's *insane*.

centering like on these cards is so common its incredible. If you ever see this message would love to follow up to see if youre still collecting/playing and are still encountering this level of quality that I am with english cards.

Back