• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Disney a Monopoly?

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
    Yeah, they have a significant hold over the movie industry. This diagram is pretty alarming:

Spoiler:

Note to mods: If the image is too big then please remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Disney owns ESPN...? Disney owns...Photobucket? And ABC?
    How did I never know about that?

That's... shocking. Disney is definitely a Monopoly, then.
    What doesn't Disney own at this point?

Your house, indie development of anything and everything from movies to video game's and... Video Game's. Yeah, they have video game studio's in their pockets or teams they contract to work on their behalf; but none of them have been able to push out a half-decent product worth purchasing 'recently' other than anything from a back catalogue. Even Kingdom Hearts 3 bombed so heavily in the series and that needs Disney owned IP's.... and it was TERRIBLE!

I'd be happy with a properly programmed Epic Mickey 3, but they've done NOTHING worth of ANYTHING in terms of video games. The EA branch under their paychecks aren't even worth the dirt they walk on metaphorically.

As for your house, I slightly take that back if you live in Florida as they own enough land out there in order to run their own legal codes for buildings, thus anexing a lot of neighborhoods.... Well, a few of them; but you know what I mean.

Years
    Yeah, they have a significant hold over the movie industry. This diagram is pretty alarming:

Is Disney a Monopoly?

It's starting to feel that way yes!

However...

To be completely fair, that graphic is a little misleading. One whole "ear" is just Marvel related subsidiaries. You could just as easily say "Disney owns Marvel" which doesn't seem quite so scary does it? But I guess that wouldn't look so intimidating on paper :)

They also very much do not own Sky. They weren't allowed to buy it. That was split off during the Fox acquisition and Comcast bought it instead, so perhaps there are other inaccuracies on there too.

But yes, they own a lot. An awful lot...

Years
    • Seen today
    No, they aren't a monopoly. They own a bunch of stuff in different areas, but they aren't stiffing competition, controlling competition, nor do they lack competition in any particular area. I don't think they'll end up becoming a monopoly either. They purchase many things, but they seem to tread carefully about breaching anti-trust laws.

Years
    No, they aren't a monopoly. They own a bunch of stuff in different areas, but they aren't stiffing competition, controlling competition, nor do they lack competition in any particular area. I don't think they'll end up becoming a monopoly either. They purchase many things, but they seem to tread carefully about breaching anti-trust laws.

I have to both agree and disagree here. They aren't technically a monopoly, but in terms of stifling competition etc. they're pretty much there at this point, I feel it's imminent that they will start acquiring more and more stuff to a point they are essentially a monopoly anyway.

Years

Spoiler:

Don't worry too much! All I'd say (and have done) is just to put something large in spoiler tags, mostly for mobile users really, but people defintely do keep sharing stuff like this because that was an eye-opener.

Back