• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Divorce Selfish?

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
    I'd rather my parents divorced and lived happily on their own (or with someone else) than be forced to watch them live together miserably... especially if I knew I was the only reason they were staying together.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm selfish.
    The parents aren't always selfish.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    It is simply not true imo that a child needs both parents to develop. Look the the divorce rates today and then look at the kids. There is next to no correlation between kids with issues and divorced parents.

Divorce isn't selfish given that it's only usually done when it is believed that, in the long term, both parents and any children that they will benefit from it. As has been said before in this thread, better be brought up by one parent than two arguing (or worse) parents, right?

Although you say it in the marriage vows and stuff ("'til death do us part") it's impossible to predict the future or know for sure that you made the right choice with your partner. Divorce is not unusual or inexplicable, and not at all selfish with everyone's best interests in mind. Hell even if the two parents were unhappy but not the child I still don't think it's selfish; two unhappy people and one happy person could be turned into two happy people and one temporarily unhappy person who will hopefully see why it was for the best one day.

Alinthea

I have nothing to say
    Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2015
    Yes. It's totally selfish, if they were going to divorce, they shouldnt have had kids in the first place. Having kids is basically the lock on the marriage.

I find this a very harsh statement to make. You don't know what the future will hold and you certainly can't see yourself getting a divorce if you are madly inlove with your partner; time changes all and no one can see where those changes will happen.

I don't think divorce is selfish, it is just a unfortunate part of life that happens. People grow apart and nothing can be done about it.

Back