• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

IS "Electric Soldier Porygon" banned in Japan?

Sunflorazumarill

Look, it's Sunflorazumarill!
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2012
    About that particular episode, I know the damage it had done when it premeired and that it's one of two banned episodes that have good and justifiable reasons for being banned (the other being "The Legend of Dratini", mainly because a gun is involved).

But what I want to know is if "Electric Soldier Porygon" is banned in Japan (and thus pretty much the entire world). Is that particuler episode banned from being broadcasted in Japan?

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
    yep,they only showed it once and 700 Japanese Kids went to the hospital. They never shown it since. And this episode will never be in the US or in other countries.

Years
    that episode is so weird, but yet so awesome, I thought i was gonna havea seisure but i looked into it more...all Japanese kids got it, cause they got sensitive eyes then us? this true?

Spectrum

In need of an oil change
    Years
    No. The average Japanese loungeroom is smaller than the average American (or Australian) one. As such, kids sit closer to the TV. And since it was such a suspenseful scene... Well, have a guess. :)

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    I almost think I heard somewhere that the american VAs refused to work on that episode because of what it did in Japan. I don't see why, though...as a million other people have stated, the Psybeam or whatever it was could be easily edited out =/

And I can't stop complaining about The Legend of Dratini...guns have been POINTED, even FIRED at people in pokemon before...think about Here Comes the Squirtle Squad, where TR points rifles at the people in the general store, and then later pull the trigger (but it turns out to be filled with sakura petals)...in the episode where Todd appears, Ash mistakes his camera for a gun and, if memory serves, has a fantasy about Misty and Brock being shot! There's got to be more, but my memory of the first season is slightly rusty right now...

TSS_Killer

The (6) Train BCCS Owner
    Years
    BTW,the whole incident was when Pikachu destroyed a vaccine rocket with a thunderbolt as they were leaving the Pokemon Center computer. The flashing lights lasted 15 seconds,and at the end the whole lab explodes. And maybe if they replace the Flashing lights with smoke,maybe they'd release it,but it has been 5 years since KidsWB aired a Season 1 epp,so I highly doubt they would re-edit it.

And about the Dratini epp,seen it yesterday. The guy was trigger-happy,what do you want? After I saw that epp,I can see why they just decided to skip it(besides the obvious gun use,and due to the fact that this episode just wouldn't fly in the US).

Last edited:

カスミ

Wo ai ni...
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Aug 8, 2005
    Satoshi-kun said:
    The thing is, the flasinh only lasted, like... 2 seconds or so?

It really didn't matter how long the flashes lasted. The episode was full of these scenes! Whenever something exploded in cyberspace, the red and blue lights would go off. So basically, if you didn't get a seizure after the first explosion, you might have gotten a one after the second or third. It all depends on how sensitive you are I guess...

However, I do have a question that no one has been able to answer. Now in Japan, almost all shows have a warning that says "be sure to watch shows in a well lighted room and don't sit too close to the television." When I watch older anime (ones before pokemon) they don't have these warnings. But almost all anime that took place after this episode do. Were these warnings created due to the pokemon inncident?

To me, it would make sense seeing as 700 children is a very large number. However, it might not have been created for that reason.

FanGuy

Rocket ShyGuy
    Years
    • Age 41
    • USA
    • Seen Sep 30, 2004
    Hey yeah, I've seen that warning too on some other shows (Sonic X, Naruto, Rockman.EXE, to name a few). It never occurred to me it was because of that.

espeon and umbreon

絶対に勝つ!!
    Years
    Originally Posted by j0eStER
    that episode is so weird, but yet so awesome, I thought i was gonna havea seisure but i looked into it more...all Japanese kids got it, cause they got sensitive eyes then us? this true?

All? Hello! I'm Japanese I watched it and I haven't got a seizure. Plus there's over 100 million population is in Japan. And 700 kids? That means lots of couples doesn'tt have children.

Miss Reyna

Happiness~
    Years
    espeon and umbreon said:
    All? Hello! I'm Japanese I watched it and I haven't got a seizure. Plus there's over 100 million population is in Japan. And 700 kids? That means lots of couples doesn'tt have children.

she does has a point!

couple in a million is lot more then 700.

but the esipod will not be edit due to 2 reasons
    1)it to late. they are in hoeann not unless kidsWB does another lost esipod then maybe but you saw the edited verison and the unedited verison(wishing i never saw it) i think the name was beauty and something. i forgot.
    2)it was just a regular esipod. ash nor firends did anything important except see poygon. the legend of dratni yes because that the esipod whereash catches all those tauros. man those are a lot. and why he caugth so many

Jolty-kun

Years
    this is a sad episode, very sad, it almost killed hundreds of kids i would say, ive been ranting for screenshots in the last half an hour and it looks bad.

The legend of dratini, ive been looking at that too, its sad, why in the world did they have to make these episodes?, ive only seen screenshots and there absolutley terrible.

Chairman Kaga

living in the past
    Years
    Though, they're not going to be foolish enough to cause even one child to have a seizure for the entertainment of others. The result was unforseen in Japan, but we know about it in America, and they chose to not show the episode rather than edit it (which is strange since many other scenes have been edited out of episodes...think Beauty and the Beach)

And 700 kids? That means lots of couples doesn'tt have children.

That doesn't mean couples don't have children, it just means that there were 700 children with epilepsy watching pokemon that day o_O

Kenta

OK! Kanpeki!
    Years
    Jolteon!!! said:
    this is a sad episode, very sad, it almost killed hundreds of kids i would say, ive been ranting for screenshots in the last half an hour and it looks bad.

The legend of dratini, ive been looking at that too, its sad, why in the world did they have to make these episodes?, ive only seen screenshots and there absolutley terrible.

Bad eh? Screenshots can be decieving. When things are in motion, its easier to see and understand. Almost killed is a bit high. Not one of 700 died. Which is a very low percentage.
    I have both on tape, and they are good episodes. The flashing lights only bother people who have problems and set the conditions just right to cause seizures. I can make it dark, stare are the screen and it does nothing to me. Heck, In enjoy doing it. Its fun to play with mysteries.

Back