• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is final fantasy 7 really that good?

Years
    • Seen Jun 24, 2019
    people saying that it has an epic story line.

it is now available for pc in steam

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It's all right, but it hasn't aged well. The dialog can be a bit weird in places. The first part of the game also drags on too long.

Also: on the PC version, the music is all MIDI, you're going to want to replace it with the original soundtrack. Look for FF7 PC music mod or something.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I loved Final Fantasy VII a lot, it's a terrific game! The storyline is heart-touching, the characters are so real and easy to relate to (in my opinion), it has awesome OST's and I've heard great things about its prequel, FFVII: Crisis Core!

Definitely worth getting, seeing as it's so cheap on Steam; I would get it myself if my laptop didn't suck aha.

Last edited:

Shhwonk

always with the games, etc.
    Years
  • I actually haven't played it yet, but I've been meaning to. Unfortunately a lot of people have said that it hasn't aged well... I hope I can enjoy it even having played so many modern RPGs that have come after it, since it's such a classic.

Sir Codin

^ That's an incredibly vague and BS criticism, if you ask me.

Final Fantasy VII was the only FF game I cared enough to play through to the end, so that instantly makes it the best one. Also, "crappy anime"...dafuq? Even if that criticism did have some weight, it's way more entertaining than the moe-satruated ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ we get in anime today.

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    It's all that and a bag of chips, but it does have some significant flaws. The iffy translation made it so that people are confused about its story to this day, the battle system has some balancing issues(like every FF, but still), and the character models (not the pre-rendered backgrounds) aged like milk. It's definitely worth a look if you're into JRPGs, but I'd suggest playing it on PSP or a PS1 emulator before getting it on PC.

Also: on the PC version, the music is all MIDI, you're going to want to replace it with the original soundtrack. Look for FF7 PC music mod or something.

Didn't FF7 get an official sound patch a while ago?

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • It's all that and a bag of chips, but it does have some significant flaws. The iffy translation made it so that people are confused about its story to this day, the battle system has some balancing issues(like every FF, but still), and the character models (not the pre-rendered backgrounds) aged like milk. It's definitely worth a look if you're into JRPGs, but I'd suggest playing it on PSP or a PS1 emulator before getting it on PC.

Didn't FF7 get an official sound patch a while ago?
    If that's the case, I hadn't heard anything about it.

Years
  • I don't see all the hype with the game, honestly...but I guess it's a lot of people's first FF game or the first they've beaten? (Personally it wasn't either circumstance for me) I'm not knocking the game though. The characters are memorable, as with the story.

Yukari

It's an amazing game, and it has aged well. Not counting the graphics which have age very poorly. But still, amazing, buy it now.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    It depends on one's perspective. At the time, FFVII was considered amazing and probably revolutionary due to its innovations in story and gameplay. But a lot of the things it introduces are retroactively old hat and cliche to some. Such as "brooding" (even though in the original FFVII, he doesn't brood all that much) spiky headed heroes, a story that is mindscrew and a bit difficult to understand, characters leaving the party permanently, etc. These are things that a lot of RPGs in the years that followed emulated due to its success.

For me, I played the game long after its first release. (In 2005ish) So it doesn't quite have the same appeal of nostalgia that it may have to others. It's a good game, for sure, with a story that still holds up tremendously by today's standards. But the translation is quite frankly atrocious (and hilarious depending on your view), which can be either a negative or a positive. And I don't find the gameplay to be anything too special, to be honest. Although it can be fun to put materia into your weapon and accessory slots, it's still basically your typical bread-and-butter turn-based RPG.

Personally, I prefer later Final Fantasies which take more risks to innovate, like Final Fantasy VIII directly afterwards with its very unique system, X, and XIII. But it is a classic that every RPG fan should be familiar with and play, if only to get their own opinion on it.

Basically: I think it's good, but not the best and that a good chunk of the hype is based on the circumstances around which it was released for its time/nostalgia and doesn't necessarily say much about its actual quality. But again, it's based sheerly on opinion. If anyone wants to find out anything, they should experience it for themselves.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I plan on picking up a copy someday and playing it for myself. I've only played XIII and IV though, which are basically two opposite ends of the JRPG spectrum, even though they're the same series, haha. But I mean, I love both of those, so I'm sure I'll like VII as well. I'm not particularly picky about graphics or things that don't age well, so that's not going to bother me.

I do see this game get a lot of praise though, so I'd be lying if part of my reason to play wasn't to see if it lives up to the hype. I do feel that most of the hype is nostalgia fueled, but again, I haven't played it, so I can't fully say whether I agree on that statement or not.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • It's pretty epic. The graphics aren't so great but it did have an amazing prequel-sequel and then an alright sequel. The trilogy is pretty good all around. Definitely worth paying for any of the three.

Ultra - Retro Reviver!

Ultra - Retro Reviver
    Years
  • I'm kind of sub-par on this honestly. I love Final Fantasy VII, yet I think it's one of the most disappointing. Yes, it's beautiful, heart-touching and worth every damn, but I find it to not be the definitive Final Fantasy game (I think FF4 deserves that title). I honestly think that Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (the prequel) is a much better game for my reasons. But in FF7, the overworld is just too big, half of the places are really bland and the start just takes so damn long (about four hours if I remember correctly).

«Chuckles»

Sharky
    Years
    • Seen Apr 29, 2023
    Graphically, I'd say its the worst but that time in video games I dont think anything looked good.
    It's not that its a bad or good game its that VII saw the second massive wave of fans. Kind of like Tales of Symphonia, which was the second coming of Tales of Fans. It's not really all that good but it definitely isn't a bad game.

Years
  • The games aged pretty poorly tbh. The graphics and FMV's really are not up to par. Back in it's time thought it was fairly charming. The game is is pretty good at tugging your heart strings. It has one of the best twists in gaming history. It has a fairly easy to understand battle system. It's customizable, but it isn't nearly as hard to wrap your head around than say Final Fantasy VIII's junction system. The translation could be better, but it's serviceable and there is plenty of resources online that could help you sort things out if you get confused. There is a whole lot of subtext and mythology that's sprinkled in the game. It has a very well made soundtrack. One of my favourites of all time. Although, to be fair, the soundtrack hasn't aged nearly as well as other Final Fantasy titles like VIII, IX, and X.

Overall, The game is still really great. I'm not exactly sure if it hold up as much as it did 10 years ago when I replayed it. Alot of really good titles have come around and challenged it's position as one of the top JRPG's. It's woth a shot though. You can see just how much that game has had an influence on the genre.

Back