• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Gardevoir still a good pokemon?

Is Gardevoir still a good pokemon?

• Yes

Votes: 47 85.5%
  • No

Votes: 8 14.5%

• Total voters

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
Years
    • Seen today
    The reason why Gardevoir has dropped so much can be put into a small nut shell.

• Scizor is #1 in usage. This alone is terrible for ANY psychic type (heck it was one of the main reasons Cress AND Zam went down to UU). This basically gives Gardevoir the choice of; Stay in and take a U-Turn from 591 attack (Choice Band) or switch out and get Pursuited.
    • Tyranitar is #2 in usage. This guy has an even MORE powerful Pursuit than Scizor and if you stay in on this guy good luck taking a Choice Band Crunch. Basically both these guys put Gardy between a rock and a hard place.
    • Yeah sure Gardy has W-o-W/Reflect to try and stop Pursuit, but funnily they still OHKO's it even with the hit cushioned if it switches out. Even a burned CB Pursuit does 46.5% - 55.3% to Gardevoir if it stays in i.e it still 2hko's it lol
    • Its outclassed as a sweeper by Azelf, Latias, Starmie, Zam psychic wise and goodness knows what else in the tiers above it and as a supporter by Latias.
    • Wish is really its only saving grace and is arguably done much better by bulkier pokemon in the tiers above it. Chansey, Umbreon in UU and Latias, Bliss, Vappy in OU. Trace too i guess but its very situational.
    Tl;dr gardy is ok but Pursuit bait and is just outclassed at every niche it tries to fill. Use it in NU if you want to make the best of its abilities.

Valk

Inter-Galactic Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 6, 2011
    Gardevoir is on my team and is second only to my lvl 100 Shiny Charizard. I got as a starter which is some extreme luck.

Gardevoir is basically my fail safe to any gym. Its just straight up beasting.

Unforgettable

Melodies of Life
    Years
  • To me, it's all about how you raise the Pokemon, not what Pokemon it is that makes it good. But, seeing as I like psychic Pokemon a lot, I said yes, it is still a good Pokemon.

Years
  • no, i never like gardevoir, mainly because i like speed, quick battle which gardevoir usually can not do. further more, gardevoir look like a ballroom female dancer even male exist, they make me think of a male jynx

Medli

I am Error.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 28, 2010
    I personally think that Gardevoir is awesome. I have one in my Ruby file right now. She's really good in-game, and that's where she probably gets more use. It's great having a boss Psychic type early in the game that doesn't Teleport away/have to be traded away for those who can't for whatever reason/etc. I can see why she's outclassed by others in the metagame, though. And the fact that she doesn't do well against Pokemon like Weavile and Scizor with Pursuit. So, it all depends on what you want to play.

I don't do the metagame, so I'm fine with using Gardevoir and using my favorites even if they "suck" in most peoples' opinions. If I did play competitively, though, and actually tried, I probably would steer away from her as well. But, meh. I'm fine with playing favorites in-game for now.

Ayselipera

I think Gardevoir is a great pokemon, but there are a few psychic types that outbeat it. That's probably the reason why is isn't as popular anymore in competitive battling. Anyways as others have said Gardevoir is still a great in game pokemon. Once I discovered Gardevoir on Sapphire I started using it all the time.

JTrainer

I care about my Pokemon
    Years
  • To be fair, I beat my HeartGold using a Male Combee.

It's really doesn't matter how good a Pokemon does ingame. It's TRUE potential is only realized when fighting against another player in competitive battling.

Gardevoir sucks. There, I said it. It's easy to counter, and it's Speed is a let down compared to the likes of Alakazam and Azelf. Gardevoir is best suited to more defensive purposes, but still falls flat of being amazing even there(Crap HP and whatnot). Plus there are many other Psychic types that can do everything Gardevoir is capable of doing, only better.

Gardevoir sucks?! You will rue the day you said that! Gardevoir is awesome! The guys who make the tier list are just idiots for not realizing this.

My Gardevoir for instance, with the help of her teammates, she OHKOs Gengar, and has won me many battles, both in-game and over wi-fi.

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • To be fair, I beat my HeartGold using a Male Combee.

It's really doesn't matter how good a Pokemon does ingame. It's TRUE potential is only realized when fighting against another player in competitive battling.

Gardevoir sucks. There, I said it. It's easy to counter, and it's Speed is a let down compared to the likes of Alakazam and Azelf. Gardevoir is best suited to more defensive purposes, but still falls flat of being amazing even there(Crap HP and whatnot). Plus there are many other Psychic types that can do everything Gardevoir is capable of doing, only better.

Says it all, in game ANYTHING works, I've beat a game with a Butterfree before so yeah.

Gardevior is ok, but in niche situations, like switching into Flareon/Poliwrath and using their own Flash Fire/Water Absorb abilities against them. Synchronize is okay too, but Gardy is so frail, it usually won't survive long enough to use them. Its Dual Screen ability is nice but its outclassed by every pokemon that isn't pure Psychic type (a.k.a. pursuit bait), and outclassed by several bulkier/faster/stronger pure Psychich types. It has its uses, but usually, they aren't overwhelmingly useful and won't make a game changing impact.

The people who make the tiering list make it based on usage. Nothing is saying "no moar NU 'mons in teh OU teer dey are too bad oh noes111!!11" you can use any pokemon from a lower tier in a higher tier, but not vice versa.

If you like it by all means use it, just make sure it has its counters in check and such. I just wouldn't reccomend it as a "go to guy" in any competative battle.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Gardevoir sucks?! You will rue the day you said that! Gardevoir is awesome! The guys who make the tier list are just idiots for not realizing this.

My Gardevoir for instance, with the help of her teammates, she OHKOs Gengar, and has won me many battles, both in-game and over wi-fi.

OHKOing Gengar doesn't mean anything when Gengar outspeeds you and OHKOs you first with a Shadow Ball.

Competitively, Gardevoir sucks. It is an awesome Pokemon, yes, but it doesn't work so well in competitive battling in this overly offensive HGSS metagame.

Last edited:

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • OHKOing Gengar doesn't mean anything when Gengar outspeeds you and OHKOs you first with a Shadow Ball.

Competitively, Gardevoir sucks. It is an awesome Pokemon, yes, but it doesn't work so well in competitive battling in this overly offensive HGSS metagame.

What overly offensive metagame? Stall and semi-stall is being used more and more and completely over powers offensive teams.

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • Gardevoir is one of the most beautiful pokemon in the pokemon world. And it's still useful in battle (espically in emerald). Im also glad that they made a male counterpart of it because a male gardevoir is kinda creepy.

off topic: there is a need for a male counterpart of lopunny lol

Back