• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Other✓] Is hard to make a hack rom??

UltimateThundrFang

Pokemon Expert
Years
  • Yeah, it kinda is. It takes a lot of time and dedication, and unless you know everything about ROMhacking, it takes a good team as well. I'd help, but the only contribution I can give you (currently at least) is changing wild Pokemon locations.

Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Nov 24, 2023
    It depends how much help you can have I think. The basics are easy once you get a hang of them. For example if you have a team you can delegate tasks to people so things can be completed faster, but if you're going it alone it can take a really long time!

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Hard? Yeah sometimes it will be, but mostly it's time consuming instead of difficult.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
    Years
  • All depends, there are alot of things that you will NOT get at first glance, but take the time and do them and you know that it's not that bad.

Mr.Wurmple

Advanced Wurmple Trainer
    Years
  • If you have a lot of time, it'll be easier.
    If you don't, take your time, and maybe you should team up with someone, so they can work on it, while you can't.

Years
    • Seen Oct 17, 2023
    I made a rom hack all by myself and holy moly it took alot more time then I expected. If you want my help I can help you.
    Not much is difficult just time consuming, experimenting and balancing. The testing part is really fun tho and it feels really good when something works :3.
    I recommend using Advance trainer and Advance map to make a rom difficulty enhancement first (which I have done) still took me a load of time :/. Also if you need anything script-wise use XSE and Advance text you can find it on wahack (google it) If you want me to help you with your rom hack send me an e-mail: [email protected]

Years
    • Seen Aug 14, 2014
    Depends what you are trying to do. Specific things can be difficult. If you just go with it, it will be easy.

TheMangekyoKing

PurpleAmethyst Founder
    Years
    • Seen Jan 19, 2022
    Rom hacking CAN be hard at first but for the things you don't know you can always look them up on here. You will usually find some answer to your problem.

Years
    • Seen Sep 21, 2014
    This is a pretty difficult question to answer. My best analogy is some tough math. It'll take a while to learn it but once you know how, it's just a matter of doing it. So there is certainly a time commitment that doesn't go away but this stumbling around in the dark doesn't last forever.

For instance my combination of a few days on the forums and a few weeks lurking has resulted in me knowing the bare basics of map editing and a good amount about Pokemon and Trainer editing. I found that editing Pokemon and Trainers is rather self-explanitory, but Advance Map while important is significantly harder to learn. The thing is if I only knew what buttons to click to do what, all I would need to do is click some buttons to say edit map transitions.

Compare that to trying to make a custon sprite to add in a Pokemon. I theorized that if I swiped some images off the web and shopped them I could make a few easy sprites. A hour and a half later all possibilities of this happening were pretty much shot down. I settled for editing already made sprites, making my "new" Pokemon look rather similar to Hoothoot with brain damage. If I spent some more time I could make something decent, but that defeated my original idea of trying to make a lot of unique sprites in a small amount of time. Making an image isn't complicated (even though I made it so XD) but it needs time and effort.

So I don't have a lot of experience on the matter, but I'm about 90% sure this is how it goes. In a way there are two different types of hard; figuring stuff out, then commitment.

Destiny.

The Absol Master
    Years
    • Seen Oct 31, 2019
    Making a rom hack is like pulling your teeth out with a pair of knives, I have massive respect for ROM hackers.
    Trying to insert a start screen background took me about 10 hours (and this is me following a tutorial and being really good with computers) two years ago.
    I gave up quite quickly.

Alternately RMXP lets you do that PAIN about 9999% faster and without the palette/Pokemon limits so it's much easier (IMO).

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 3, 2016
    It really is quite easy once you get into it, but certain parts might be really difficult.
    Having backups of your hacks also is vital if you come across major errors

Back