• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it a bad thing to keep all 3 starters of a region in your final team?

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
    This has been bothering me for a while. Because every game i've started, i'm always using that version's 3 starters throughout the whole game and as my final team, and i've noticed that i'm the only one doing it out of all the teams i look at. And those teams i see usually only has 1 of the 3 starters or none at all while mines has all 3.

So as the question says, is it bad to keep all 3 starters of a region in your final team? And give reasons why.

Pokémon Grey

Generation V
    Years
    To me it's very bad
    Using 3 starters makes the game easier
    so yes it's bad
    There are way many pokemon the have fire,water,types
    except DP
    XD
    if u have these i would recommend getting Platinum
    and PM me if u want help with your teams
    I would be glad to help;)

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
    I already have Pearl, Heartgold, and Platinum. And i've already beaten them.
    I was just wondering if using all 3 starters in your final in-game team is a bad idea. Though all 3 of my games ended up having all 3 starters in my team in the end (except in pearl where i used 2 other fire and water types). And this been happening to me since Gen II. x_x
    Anywho, nice to hear an opinion.

Dooonerz

@JackDonnellyy
    Years
    I think it's fine to keep three starters on your final team, as it gives good type coverage, and some starters are perfect for battling such as Infernape and Swampert. <3

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
    It isn't much of a bad thing to use all 3 starters on the same team, IMO because they provide good coverage together, as said earlier.

Years
    Trust me, you're not the only one. @_@

As long as you don't plan on going into competitive play with that team, you should be perfectly fine. Go ahead and use whatever Pokemon you want. If you want to use the starters, great. If you want to use Ubers, go ahead. It's your adventure, after all. :)

To be honest, I'm definitely not a fan of this. Personally, I think having three starters on a team is very unoriginal and boring; a lot more people do this than you think. I can't tell you how many times I've ran into pathetic teams on PBR composed of starters and box legends. I actually go as far as to ditch my starter completely.

The reason you feel like you're the only one doing it is probably because it's sort of difficult to get all three starters. We all know from personal experience that the GTS is all kinds of awful, so you would need a friend to assist you in many cases, or two DSs. To be honest, the three starter thing is also pretty popular with the kiddies, who you're less likely to find on an internet forum like this.

BonzaiMudkip

Senior Trainer
    Years
    Trust me, you're not the only one. @_@

As long as you don't plan on going into competitive play with that team, you should be perfectly fine. Go ahead and use whatever Pokemon you want. If you want to use the starters, great. If you want to use Ubers, go ahead. It's your adventure, after all. :)

I think this is what concerned me about using 3 starters, cause i actually use them as my competitive team x_x. And Believe it or not, i've actually won a couple matches with that team, though i tend to mix em up a bit for a better strategy.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    I did that in Sapphire. It makes the game a little easier, but it's not a big deal. You have the right to use what you like!

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
    I used to do it during Gen III because I loved all of em' , it provides great type coverage :3 I don't do it now because I go for the strongest <;

But there's nothing wrong with it :D

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I've never done this, since I usually don't have any need for a Grass-type on my team and I usually find at least one of the starters per region to be unappealing for one reason or another.

But if you like all the starters for a game, then by all means go for it. It's your game, after all. Nothing wrong with it, it's just that I personally prefer using other Pokemon.

Numbers

Say my name
    Years
    I sometimes do this, not for competitive battling though. Sometimes I'll even go through the game without evolving my Pokemon as I just use the ones I like rather than go for the strongest ones. So yeah, if you like using all three starters then go for it :D

Ghostie

Unidentified Ghost
    Years
    Yeah, go for it. I've done it once or twice. I remember doing that in Yellow, and it was fun. I didn't have to use Pidgeot for my flying type. I had Venusaur for all kinds of status inflicting fun, and I had Blastoise to Surf for me. Then I had Snorlax and Kadabra to finish my team. It was great!

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
    I only had 2 starters on my game at a time. But for me it makes the game a bit more fun to play, I like to challenge my pokemon. For example I used my Blaziken (when I had Sceptile as my main starter) battle against Wallace in Emerald. It was an interesting battle :]

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
    Years
    Well I don't think it should be too bad; if you like the starters, then it shouldn't be such a big deal to use them on you team, right? I've personally never used more than 1 on a team just because I feel like I'm copping out and using them merely because they have better stats.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    I do it a lot and I will probably do it in Black and White as I like the 3 starters. If you can back up your starter's weaknesses you should be fine.

Back