• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it bad to use all three starters in your team?

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    When you get a game, you are able to choose a starting pokemon, They consist of Charmander, Squirtle, Bulbusaur, Chikorita, Cyndaquil,Totodile,Treecko, Torchic, Mudkip,Turtwig,Chimchar, and Piplup. In competitive play, would it be considered foolhardy to use all the three starting pokemon offered to you or a mix of three of them from all the games? Or even your entire team of starting pokemon from different games?

DemonPrince

Is teh 1337 Stalker! w00t!
    Years
    • DE
    • Seen Nov 4, 2007
    I don't know. If you want to, choose varieties, like water and ground, fire and flying, etc.

Years
    • Seen Jul 13, 2007
    Well, this is not for me as I already have a team (which only consists of one starter), but this is just more of hypothetical questions and just for general knowledge if it would work.

Samson

no, i don't know milk drink
    Years
    if you can make it work, there's nothing wrong with it at all. as a matter of fact, blaziken/swampert/sceptile would probably be a really good trio considering the completely 3 different roles they play.

Smarties-chan

Should've had that name change
    Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    if you can make it work, there's nothing wrong with it at all. as a matter of fact, blaziken/swampert/sceptile would probably be a really good trio considering the completely 3 different roles they play.
    And two of them get completely screwed over by Salamence while the third doesn't want to switch in on Salamence's Aerial Ace or Dragon Claw time after time. ._.

Samson

Years
    subseeding sceptile with dragon pulse is already so popular and would take care of salamence on its own. salamence has nothing on swampert... never has and never will. standard D/P blaziken is being held with choice scarf and Stone Edge. i'm not a math wiz, but that would hurt salamence A LOT.

the game has changed.

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Yes, the game has changed, but Salamence can easily survive a Stone Edge from a Choice Scarf Blaziken and an unboosted Dragon Pulse from Sceptile. Also, need I remind you that a standard Life Orb Salamence does around 50% damage to Swampert meaning Swampert can no longer switch in on Salamence safely?

Samson

Years
    if you mean to say that salamence, even one with life orb, will remain untouched when facing any of these opponents and will individually eliminate them in any lineup, then i don't think you're being very realistic and are, more than anything, just looking for an opportunity to randomly critique someone. salamence is cool... he will always be cool and powerful, but just not strong enough to take as many opponents as you old schoolers wish.

Smarties-chan

Years
    • Age 22
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    I didn't say that it would remain untouched, I just said it can and will own Sceptile and Blaziken one on one, while Swampert can't safely switch in on it. Also, I find it ironic that you call me an old schooler, but think that a Bulk Up Medicham will still work in D/P where almost every respectable sweeper can have a Choice Scarf set making Bulk Up Medicham major failure. Not that that has anything to do with Salamence or the starters, but I was just pointing out that you're still stuck on the old Advance sets.

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2007
    Haha! Calm down ladies! :D

I think that there's no problem with creating a team full of starters, who you use is completely up to you, if you like the starters, use them!

What's the point in using pokemon you don't like? :P

Make sure you are playing for fun, and not purely trying to keep up with the metagame and you'll have a good time no matter who you use. XD

Good luck with the all starter team too!

DemonPrince

Is teh 1337 Stalker! w00t!
    Years
    • DE
    • Seen Nov 4, 2007
    turismo is right. Have fun! I have what nerds call a noob moveset, but it's fun to use. Do I care? Kind of, but I still have fun

Years
    • Seen Jul 20, 2007
    Exactly!

Same reason I always seem to use sweepers with Agility.

I just like Agility. XD

Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2007
    I would use Charizard, Venusaur and Swampert or Blastoise, Torterra and Blaziken/Infernape in my team anytime.

Back