• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is it just me, or is Platinum harder...?

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    I'm kind of late to the Generation IV game. I don't actually own a gameboy DS, so I had to wait till my little brother finally got bored of the game and let me start a new one on his Platinum (I've never played Diamond or Pearl). I had mostly just been playing my Emerald, resetting it each time and levelling up a different team of 3 for the Battle Frontier, then playing till I got bored of the team and resetting again.

Anyways, for whatever reason, I'm kind of having a hard time of it. In all previous generations, I could get away with using Repels literally for the entire game as soon as I got my first one, and only battling trainers and easily being able to beat the game that way.

I had been doing the same thing in Platinum, but I keep dying again and again. I am even finding that my rival and gym trainers (let alone the gym leader) all have pokemon at least 4-5 levels higher than mine. I hate grinding, but I might have to. I thought I'd easily be able to beat the fourth gym with my Roselia, but the Gyrados left her with 1 HP, and although I used a hyper potion in the next round, a crit Ice Fang 1 shot it.

I don't know, maybe this generation just requires more grinding and isn't actually more difficult, but it looks like I have to go out and level up because I am using around 10 revives or so per gym leader.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen yesterday
    It's called a nintendo DS btw.
    ------------------------
    I don't know, maybe this generation just requires more grinding and isn't actually more difficult, but it looks like I have to go out and level up because I am using around 10 revives or so per gym leader.
    That might be the case, you just need to train more. :)

Bluerang1

pin pin
    Years
    ^Off-topic dude.

Yes, it is harder. Scarier. It's a lot deeper than it's predecessors, and HGSS. You just have to try harder ;)

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    ^ Oh sorry, I have been calling any handheld game system a gameboy XD. My brother's already called me out for saying his PSP was a gameboy :P.

Bleh, I hate grinding :P. Guess I'm going to have to, though. I am stuck on the water boss in the fourth gym. I even went on the path past Pastoria city to battle those trainers, but it didn't level me up much. Too bad I didn't pick up a sphinx or whatever the name is of that electric pokemon that evolves into luxio. I had one, but its ability was annoying me too much. It was a female, so its attack power was lowered versus males.

Eagledelt

=)?
    Years
    I only battle wild Pokemon in the beginning of the game. After I get my team of ~3 (Starter, Starly and Shix) I only battle trainers. Although, I'm gonna try to change a bit the next time I play Platinum because well, it is good to change things.
    @topic: If I were you I would train my Pokemon untill they were the same level of the gym leader and then continue with the journey, only battling trainers.

Years
    • Seen Oct 23, 2010
    ^ That's probably part of the reason why my pokemon are really low levels, too. You said you only use 3, but I am using 5. I only have 1 HM slave atm (a Bibarel). I also taught my staravia Fly since I didn't have an HM slave for that, but I don't want it to know that any more since I caught a Chatot. I want it to learn Brave Bird instead when it gets that. Guess I'll just have to wait to find the move deleter, wherever he is in this game.

Anyone know a good place to level? My pokemon are all late 20s in level, but most of the pokemon I find nearby are only level 23 or so. It'd be easier if I could find wild pokemon that were level 30 or so, so the levelling would go faster. But there are people blocking me off from accessing the next areas in the game, so I don't know where to go. The gym leader's pokemon are like level 33-36 I think, so I need about 4-8 levels for all of them.

Maybe I should just pick 3 of my favorites out of my 5 like you did, so it's easier to keep on top of levelling. I like my penguin starter (I forget the name now, the water-type), roselia, and staravia, I think. Without Fly <.<...I didn't have another bird pokemon at the time I got the HM.

** Edit: Yeah, I guess it was just the level thing. I got all of my pokemon up to level 36 and easily beat the fourth gym without even using any items, not even a potion. It helped that at 36, my penguin pokemon evolved into a dual steel/water type pokemon so that ice fang did pretty much nothing the whole time.

Last edited:

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Level grinding is pretty much a given in Platinum, since the major trainers have far superior moves that can strike at Pokemon that would otherwise work well against them. Anyplace where you partner up with another trainer is a great place to train, since you're completely healed afterward. Next for you would be Iron Island outside Canalave... spend some time in there leveling up to around 40 or so.

Apostrophe

Everybody do the search dance!
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2010
    This is mainly due to the vastly improved AI and more strategy-based movepools. You have to be more smarter to win battles in Generation IV. This includes HGSS. Lance, for example, is more than capable of 1-2HKOing you Pokemon with Outrage once you get to the league (you will usually have around level 45's when you get there).

dragoniteuser

The dragon master
    Years
    Pt has more Pokemon(better Pokemon) than P/D!
    Not only that but the levels are harder, and gym leaders/E4 acctually use startegy, as well as their Pokemon have other type attacks(Alakazam & Focus Blast - killer combo)...

blaQk

perfectionist. ♥
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2014
    Platinum wasn't really harder, but it was by far more boring and time consuming than Diamond and Pearl, for me at least.

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2014
    It was quite nice... actually... the dimension world ripped my feelings for NDS games.. :D

Pokestick good times.

[i]cheeky[/i]
    Years
    At least I found Pt harder than DP, and even though I've never really thought of it, it's probably harder than the earlier generations too.

As mentioned earlier, there are more Pkmn and attacks, and the trainer use more tactics, partly due to improved AI.

...Or I don't know, maybe it was because I threw away my starter in Platinum as fast as I could :P

I do have to agree that Platinum was more time consuming than DP, as I had to train more, plus the bigger and the new areas. These make the game seem like you're playing a new thing, but I still got tired of it(!).

Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2010
    i think not too much harder. :) it helps when you train alot! I did not have much trouble.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
    I guess it wasn't that hard for me because I was used to DP before it. I always grind in games so it wasn't that hard but it is playable even without grinding except pre E4 training. I guess its a bit hard since you've been playing emerald for a while so it might take a bit of adjusting, maybe.

bOxieLiciOus

not here 4 lipsyncing
    Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2011
    as for me the level of extent is just the same as diamond and pearl. -xxxxx-

Sho7gun

IV Inquisitor
    Years
    I played a bit of Platimun on my friend's DS before I went out and didn't buy it :D
    It seems the same, just more stuff that doesn't need to be in the game, rather than just improving the basic game.
    Its kinda like Emerald to Ruby i guess, that seemed harder to me....so maybe Platinum is harder i dunno! :P

Years
    I played a bit of Platimun on my friend's DS before I went out and didn't buy it :D
    It seems the same, just more stuff that doesn't need to be in the game, rather than just improving the basic game.
    Its kinda like Emerald to Ruby i guess, that seemed harder to me....so maybe Platinum is harder i dunno! :P

Nah I think it's different because Emerald was a lot smoother and better looking than Ruby (since Ruby had that very ugly looking font).

Also to be able to obtain both legendary duo (Groudon and Kyogre) in the same game that's awesome too :p

Back