• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Is it just me..

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I already know I look good, what do you mean?( striking poses) Lol*.^

Serious

Ev'ing is for the talentless
    Years
    I already know I look good, what do you mean?( striking poses) Lol*.^

I mean it is to boost the confidences of the many idiots who think the are....how should I put it?...."Bad mans"? just because they have like 3 mewtwos on their team.

Why are you posing on a computer? LMAO :)

Years
    Yeah, Gary's the man.

This rival's okay, but he doesn't really leave a lasting impression as a character. His pokemon are mediocre at best, and his personality isn't like a rival's, but more like a competitive friend. Gary was bad-ass, Silver was an asshole(in the games; his manga character is awesome) and Brenden/May and Wally were just kinda suckish. This guy falls short of being a "cool" character, and is really a joke when compared to the first two rivals.

I don't even think he has a name. o_O I've seen a few used as the official name, but no name that really stuck.

ebuka

ampipom 08
    Years
    I love how the place the trainer battles in the worst places at the worst times.
    The first time I went through R/S/E I got to the end of V-Road and got destroyed by Wally, sad huh? I had to start over.
    ur team is a loosers team ...i mean how can blissy and foretress be in ur team talk about porygon z

theyer all weak to the bone they should at least in crease rhe lv by 5 every time you fight and win so by that u can get pissed any enjoy ur battle rather that take out ur rivals team in d/p with only a lv 84 ambipom

Last edited:

Kerotan

Gwo. Wuggo-wuggo.
    Years
    Brendan/May were both jokes. You couldn't even name them demeaning names!
    The only reason Gary is the hardest is because he always pops up at the wrong place at the wrong time. To him, battling is like kicking disabled puppies, taunting it by being an @$$. For instance, if Gary was the rival in D/P, when he's supposed to help you beat Mars and Jupiter, he wouldn't. He'd just wait until you battle Cyrus, then battle you.
    The D/P rival (I named him Carlito) is pretty crappy. All he does is act like your "friend" until he taunts you with his super rare Pokemon/ super crappy battling skills. He used a move on Mt. Coronet that killed my Pokemon, and I never want to battle with him again.
    Oh, and does he have some sort of story behind him? Did his Palmer abandon him or something? And why the &$#@ is his mom in contests?!?!?!
    Later on this at 11. In other news...

sdfs

Is graceful like Zuzu.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    Well, Pearl is pretty bad, but May/Brendan were the worst. Their starter didn't even get to their final evolution. Wally ended up being more powerful than them. Pearl is terrible though. If you read about him, you find out his dad is actually successful, but his son doesn't even know where he is. (That's pretty much a failure.)

austin00081

young money
    Years
    I think I'm going to be the first person here to say that I actually liked him. He has a nice outfit, and cute Pokemon.
    I never really found him tough or helpful, but at least he tried his hardest and never gave up. Personally, I think he would have made a better contest challenger.

And about the other rivals/off topic opinions:
    (Blue/Gary was alright. I never really liked his cocky attitude, and he always beat me after the first two battles. Being second best to him always made me try harder.

Silver was a mess. When I was first introduced to him, I thought he was a real crook. Now that I actually read the manga, I found out he wasn't really a criminal, after all.

Ruby/Sapphire shouldn't be considered rivals. They were researchers, and battles were not what they focused on. Wally was the actual "rival" in R/S/E.)

sdfs

Is graceful like Zuzu.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    I think I'm going to be the first person here to say that I actually liked him. He has a nice outfit, and cute Pokemon.
    I never really found him tough or helpful, but at least he tried his hardest and never gave up. Personally, I think he would have made a better contest challenger.

And about the other rivals/off topic opinions:
    (Blue/Gary was alright. I never really liked his cocky attitude, and he always beat me after the first two battles. Being second best to him always made me try harder.

Silver was a mess. When I was first introduced to him, I thought he was a real crook. Now that I actually read the manga, I found out he wasn't really a criminal, after all.

Ruby/Sapphire shouldn't be considered rivals. They were researchers, and battles were not what they focused on. Wally was the actual "rival" in R/S/E.)

Well, he would have done better in contests probably. He feels so forced though. Like you have to deal with him. And he was terrible when you have to battle with him (Munchlax used stockpile! Munchlax used stockpile!, etc). However, Blue was a good rival (cocky, though). He was challenging, but then again, when I first started playing, I somehow managed to beat the elite four at level 20-30....No wonder it was a challenge XD

Silver was kind of awkward. He'd say something and run off....There was just something missing there.

And I see your point on the May/Brendan point. Kind of like Lucas/Dawn is in D/P.

austin00081

young money
    Years
    Well, he would have done better in contests probably. He feels so forced though. Like you have to deal with him. And he was terrible when you have to battle with him (Munchlax used stockpile! Munchlax used stockpile!, etc). However, Blue was a good rival (cocky, though). He was challenging, but then again, when I first started playing, I somehow managed to beat the elite four at level 20-30....No wonder it was a challenge XD

Silver was kind of awkward. He'd say something and run off....There was just something missing there.

And I see your point on the May/Brendan point. Kind of like Lucas/Dawn is in D/P.

Now that you mention it, I don't remember battling Dawn. It's been too long since I've played it through on story mode.

sdfs

Is graceful like Zuzu.
    Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2008
    Now that you mention it, I don't remember battling Dawn. It's been too long since I've played it through on story mode.

Huh. I thought you did. Now that I think about it. I haven't fought her.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2009
    The rivals are too "friendly" these days. I like many miss when they were mean and would piss you off (R/B/Y/G/S/C)

Years
    • Seen Oct 20, 2008
    The rivals are too "friendly" these days. I like many miss when they were mean and would piss you off (R/B/Y/G/S/C)
    I'm going to take a stab in the dark and guess that the main pokemon storyline is for the young children audience, while afterwards can create something for the older audience. It's sad, but everything now-a-days depends on being too "harsh".

Darklugia

Resident poor person
    Years
    I particually don't like the rival in D/P. His pokemon are lame and he never puts up a challenge. Gary was the best me thinks. he actually gave me a challenge, not really in the earlier fights but the more later ones he starts getting his arse in gear.

Back