• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it me or New pokemons are getting less creative??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sydian

fake your death.
Years
  • I still think that the Pokemon are creative, half of the 5th Gen Pokemon are pretty good, the other half is utter crap (the garbage bag being the most literal example of "utter crap"), and then there are the clones, oh god, Emonga has to be the most unoriginal Pokemon to date, it's just Pachirisu with wings, nothing else, and it's as unoriginal as unoriginal can be, they could have given it a pre-evolution and evolution, but NO, they had to make it standalone just like Pachirisu, making it a worthless "novelty" Pokemon that just simply was made to take up space in your PC and not for anything else, if I had to take away two utterly terrible Pokemon (in creativity) from 5th Gen and replace them with a pre-evolution and evolution for Emonga, those two Pokemon would be Yoteri (because it looks too much like Growlithe) and Gigigear (it's just Gear with more gears)

It's like you're implying all standalone Pokemon are just "novelty" and don't deserve any attention. I think it's cute, as do many people. A lot of people have adopted that as their favorite Pokemon. Always remember that even though you hate a Pokemon, there is someone out there who love it and it's probably their favorite, or one of there favorites. I also like the Gear line and can't wait til post game to raise mine. Simple concept, but I really, really like it.

As for what's been said about the genies, or diseased weathermen with tentacles coming out of their clouds, it's too true. This is my least favorite trio. Ever. I think that with the Lake Trio, the close similarities worked well with them. But with these guys, it's just too obvious that it was effortless. We could have had the electric one as the roamer and done away with the other two and just had the Musketeer trio remain. That would have been fine with me, and hell, maybe I would actually like it then. But no, there are three of them.

Last edited:

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • I still think that the Pokemon are creative, half of the 5th Gen Pokemon are pretty good, the other half is utter crap (the garbage bag being the most literal example of "utter crap"), and then there are the clones, oh god, Emonga has to be the most unoriginal Pokemon to date, it's just Pachirisu with wings, nothing else, and it's as unoriginal as unoriginal can be, they could have given it a pre-evolution and evolution, but NO, they had to make it standalone just like Pachirisu, making it a worthless "novelty" Pokemon that just simply was made to take up space in your PC and not for anything else, if I had to take away two utterly terrible Pokemon (in creativity) from 5th Gen and replace them with a pre-evolution and evolution for Emonga, those two Pokemon would be Yoteri (because it looks too much like Growlithe) and Gigigear (it's just Gear with more gears)

outside of Emonga, we have Gear, which is..... let's just say that it could have been done a lot better, and given a better name than just "Gear", because it's two gears, not one, then we have Baniricchi and Banibaila (did I spell that right?), which are uncreative as sin, seriously, how do those things even stand with that super small tip on the bottom, let alone even WALK!? Then there is Baoppu, or should I say..... CHIMCHAR!!!!!! Seriously Nintendo, you already did a Fire Monkey the previous generation.....

Finally, we have the roaming trio, it's fairly obvious where THESE guys came from, especially with the previous games being remakes of the Johto games of all things, I will always prefer the Ecruteak beasts over these pathetic imatators.....

Spoiler:

Let's see, the ears and tail are completely differently shaped, and the coloration is completely different. Even the hands and feet are noticeably different from eachother.

Spoiler:

Only similarity I see is that they're both dogs and they have similar coloration. Growlithe is obviously bigger with more muscle to him. :/

Spoiler:

While these are the closest match of the pairs you mentioned, it's still easy to tell them apart because they have a completely different aesthetic to them. Baoppu is much more stylized and cartoonish than Chimchar and this is even reinforced further in their respective evolved forms.

I'll concede to the Genie trio being conceptual ripoffs of the legendary beasts (Torneros = Suicune, Voltros = Raikou, and Landros = Entei), but at least you can tell them apart from eachother easy by their coloration and their respective typings, which is more than anyone can say about the Lake Trio. :/

King Gumball

Haven't been here for ages...
    Years
  • The Ice Cream pokemon required some thinking to come up with and a bit of creativity so I do not think they are rtunning out of ideas. The Ice Cream pokemon was just a very odd choice to base a pokemon on.

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • I'll say this from the start, I like some designs from each generation and I dislike some from each generation. There are also designs that I think are absolutely awesome (Gen IV starters) that I've seen lots of people dislike. The opposite is also true, where some designs a lot of people think are awesome, but I don't like it. I won't hold it against those people, and I would hope they don't hold the pokemon I like against me.

I also don't see the new pokemon as uncreative, because clearly there is creativity in the artwork itself. But I think the thing that really gets me with the new pokemon is the feelings they evoke. I've noticed that people get certain feelings when they see pokemon, and these feelings typically are not brought forth in the new designs (some of them are though).

It does seem like many of them are over-drawn though, where they become almost confusing. Whereas something that is ugly to me (Munna) at least evokes the feeling of "Yeah, that's a pokemon."

I also don't enjoy seeing so many pokemon that aren't exactly organic. This is partly to due with finding pokemon in the wild, or pokemon wearing clothes. It just feels off.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Non-organic I can deal with....I love Metagross, and Aggron (which sounds like a train), and Rotom.....but which pokemon wears clothes? show me the sprite.

I do like the idea that gamefreak are having a laugh at the western world with the rubbish and ice cream....shame they didn't make a pokemon called "Big Mac(weird little "r" sign)".

The only argument I can't personally understand is the "uncreative" part. Look at what happens all the time:

Ostrich/Emu --add head-- Doduo --add head-- Dodrio
    Magnemite --add heads-- Magneton --morph slightly-- Magnezone
    Diglett --add heads-- Dugtrio
    Exeggcute --add body-- Exeggutor
    Dratini --gets bigger-- Dragonair
    Charmander/Squirtle/Bulbasaur --gets bigger-- Charmeleon/Wartortle/Ivysaur --gets bigger-- Blastoise/Venusaur
    Horsea --gets aggressive-- Seadra --gets bigger-- Kingdra
    Omanyte --gets bigger-- Omastar
    Slowpoke --gets eaten-- Slowbro/king
    Paras --gets eaten-- Parasect
    Weedle/Caterpie/Wurmple --copies real creatures-- their respective evolutions.
    Buizel --gets bigger-- Floatzel
    Riolu --gets bigger-- Lucario
    Mudkip/Treecko --gets bigger-- Marshtomp/Grovlye --gets bigger-- Swampert/Sceptile
    Seel/Spheal --gets bigger-- Dewgong/Sealeo --gets bigger-- Walrein
    Electrike --gets bigger-- Manectric
    Luxio --gets bigger-- Luxray (Shinx excluded as it has more colour variation between it and Luxio than Luxio to Luxray)
    Kricketot --gets bigger (and awesomelly weird cry)-- Kricketune
    Lotad --gets bigger-- Lombre --gets bigger/mexican/pineappley-- Ludicolo
    Seedot --turns into a tree-- Shiftry (Even sounds like "tree")
    Grimer --apears bigger (has the same weight)-- Muk

I know a lot of those are Gen I, but that's because my brain generally thinks about them more as I'm playing Hg/Ss. Also, most of the pokemon I listed, I personally like, so I'm not having a dig at those pokemon....but seriously, un-imaginativeness is actually incredibly imaginative by not making preposterous evolutions too common...

And I could go on...just there's a huge list....for example, all baby pokemon!

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • Lulz, I know I already posted here, but I just have one last thing to say...x3
    Y'know, in the beginning, Pokemon were extremely UNcreative.
    Look at some of these 1st generation Pokemon!

Look at it! It's a pile of goo! And it's name is Muk. Just "muck" without the c. Yeah, that's really creative.
    Nothing really uncreative about the design, but the name... Mr. Mime.
    All they did was add Mr. to mime! That's not so creative either. T_T
    Oh, C'MON. It's just a Pokeball with eyes!

Seeeee? Look at the old "original" Pokemon. They weren't creative at all!
    Geodude was just a rock with arms, and Squirtle looked like a regular turtle with a curly tail. xD Pokemon are becoming MORE creative now.

They're almost always some type of reasoning for their design, and they're usually based off of Japanese folklores n' shizz. Of course, some 5th generation Pokemon are kinda uncreative. Like the trash bag...ice cream cones...the Pokeball mushroom...
    But most of the more uncreative Pokemon are just remakes of older ones. :3

But hey, I'd much rather have a Muk than... this thing...

Years
    • Seen Dec 18, 2014
    Lulz, I know I already posted here, but I just have one last thing to say...x3
    Y'know, in the beginning, Pokemon were extremely UNcreative.
    Look at some of these 1st generation Pokemon!

Look at it! It's a pile of goo! And it's name is Muk. Just "muck" without the c. Yeah, that's really creative.
    Nothing really uncreative about the design, but the name... Mr. Mime.
    All they did was add Mr. to mime! That's not so creative either. T_T
    Oh, C'MON. It's just a Pokeball with eyes!

Seeeee? Look at the old "original" Pokemon. They weren't creative at all!
    Geodude was just a rock with arms, and Squirtle looked like a regular turtle with a curly tail. xD Pokemon are becoming MORE creative now.

They're almost always some type of reasoning for their design, and they're usually based off of Japanese folklores n' shizz. Of course, some 5th generation Pokemon are kinda uncreative. Like the trash bag...ice cream cones...the Pokeball mushroom...
    But most of the more uncreative Pokemon are just remakes of older ones. :3
    DON'T TALK S*** ABOUT 1ST GEN.

I personally think Muk is badass, I mean just look at him. And they wanted a Pokemon to represent the main piece of technology in the Poke-world, aka Voltorb.

This has been said before, but 1st generation didn't have a lot of thought put into them either.

O hai, ditto.

Pokemon aren't getting uglier/less original. You're just getting older.
    Ditto was meant to be simple, idiot. It's the "transformation" Pokemon for a reason.

I am probably weird here, but I find that this generation's Pokémon has one of the better concepts and designs than the previous ones. Every generation has its 'Rattata', and this generation is not an exception. However, the ideas, mostly, the art, the concepts of most of the current Pokémon are exceptional. I like almost 3/4 of the new Pokémon, and the rest are all terrible.
    Honestly, whats wrong with Rattata? It was the first Pokemon you would encounter along with Pidgey, they are meant to be simple. And they evolve into creative Pokemon IMO.

Every generation had weird, or out of ideas, or less creative pokemon:
    Gen I: Rattata and raticate, Pidgey and its family, Zubat, Geodude, Voltorb, Ditto, and Various others (Including Mew and Mewtwo).
    Gen II: Corsola, Furret, Togepi and family, Wobuffet, Unown, Quagsire, Pineco and Forretress, Dunsparce.
    Gen III: Nosepass, Torchic, Zigzagoon, Seedot, Taillow, Shroomish, Slakoth, Whismur family, Gulpin family, Lunatone and Solrock, Wynaut, Shelgon.
    Gen IV: Bidoof, Probopass, Pachirisu, Cherubi, Bronzor family, Lickilicky, Tangrowth, Togekiss, the Lake Trio.
    Gen V: #511 to #516, Mamepato, Kokoromori, Tabunne, Dokkora family, Hoyga, Yabukron family, Baniputchi family, Tesheed Family, Bururil family, Sazandra.
    My review.
    Gen I: They were way too rushed on ideas. (Seriously, Copycatting a bird and putting it onto a game?)
    Gen II: Well, started to get better.
    Gen III: Ok, some weird pokemon. (Aka Whismur)
    Gen IV: Fewer weird pokemon. (Most commonly referred as to some evolutions of old, almost forgotten pokemon, or Bidoof)
    Gen V: Well, returning to the basics, that is. (Means, some weird and object-based pokemon).
    And I liked about 80% of this gen.
    Why do people get angry at Rattata, Pidgey, Geodude, and Zubat? They're some of the first Pokemon you'll encounter, they're SUPPOSED to be simple, and they evolve into very creative creatures. Raticate, Pidgeot, Golem, and Crobat are awesome! I can see why people say Voltorb is stupid, though, but Ditto is MEANT to be simple, it's a freaking transformation Pokemon for a reason. Also, Mew and Mewtwo were epic, I don't know what you're talking about. Certainly better than the new Digimon-Transformers legendaries.

I lol'd. Like, really hard, LMAO, nice.

I lol'd. Like, really hard, LMAO, nice.

Last edited:

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • SandslashFTW, you need to tone it down. The thread isn't for flaming other people's opinions, and if you continue on this way, you'll be infracted for such. And please edit your post. I should already go ahead and infract you for censor bypass, but I'm feeling generous tonight.

Years
  • at first I thought Icecreamconemon was really lame, but you know I actually think he's pretty cute. also Plankmon, Girdermon, and Concreteblockmon I thought were weak sauce on Wednesday, but now I think they're pretty neat. Trashmon is my fav though. Sorry I totally don't keep track of the Japanese names.

The legendary dog trio though I feel is not so hot.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Oohh....so now weearing clothes is wrong, is it?

So obviously not wearing clothes....

not wearing clothes, is it.....

That's not a dress...

c'mon, there're always pokemon that appear to wear clothes.....those're just 3 I can think of off the top of my head....

C'mon, in Hg/Ss they even have the same pose......Staraptor and Fearow are slightly more different, so they weren't posted here. I personally love both of them, they're never available in the same mainstream game, either......so it's fine.

The first three even have the same species name....the first two are both Gen I, yet still look astonishingly similar!

Marill was called "Pikablu"......

They're quite similar, aren't they? I know Nidoking/Queen are, but they're supposed to be related....

Their pre-evos are still similar, aren't they?

So, in conclusion, even between Gen I/II, although less common than later generations, due to the way they were connected, there were pokemon that were startlingly similar/"remade". It even happened within Gen I......

And, aside from a few pokemon, Gen III/IV had a great pokemon diversity.....and once you got further along, Gen I/II did too!

I'm not directly comparing Gen V pokemon, as I wish to remain spoiler-free....

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    Why do people get angry at Rattata, Pidgey, Geodude, and Zubat?

Because they're everywhere.
    (Up until gen V)

Also, Mew and Mewtwo were epic, I don't know what you're talking about. Certainly better than the new Digimon-Transformers legendaries.

Yes, because some mutant cat thing is SO much better than a Pokémon that gives you nightmares. (sarcasm)
    Please take off your nostalgia goggles and not buy any new Pokémon games.

Palantides

Village Idiot
    Years
  • Oohh....so now weearing clothes is wrong, is it?

So obviously not wearing clothes....

not wearing clothes, is it.....

That's not a dress...

c'mon, there're always pokemon that appear to wear clothes.....those're just 3 I can think of off the top of my head....

It's not that they're wearing clothes that's the problem (though the clothes are not at all detailed, and do not really stand out significantly), it's the feeling they give in regards to the clothes.

Nageki and Dageki seem to look out of place in their gi's while the three you've mentioned their clothing doesn't really detract from the overall feel.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well maybe you're getting the wrong vibes off them? :P

I'm sure the way gamefreak see them, the clothes suit perfectly.

Still, I was just pointing out that there are many designs involving clothes, or that look incredibly similar (such as purple poison rhino/grey rock rhino) before Gen V.

Thunder_Brew_07

Friend of All Pokemon
    Years
  • I think Gen 5 is overall really creative and I'm happy with almost all of the designs. They all seem like really fresh and new Pokemon. I do think some of the bird Pokemon could be made to look a little more...unique in some way but all of the new Pokemon look different from old ones quite a lot.

I feel like a lot of people focus on whether or not a Pokemon looks "Pokemon-like" instead of just seeing it as it's own unique Pokemon regardless of how outlandish it might look.

Years
    • NJ
    • Seen Dec 8, 2010
    Well, the Gen V were certainly creative in their own way, and have proved that Sugimori can survive developing five whole generations of Pokemon without running out of ideas. I do admit that the Pokemon are starting to lean more to the complex design of Digimons, rather than the original, simple designs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back