• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it okay to use legendaries?

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Me and a friend were having an interesting discussion on whether or not it was okay to use legendaries in the Pokémon league process. She was a little annoyed at the fact I said using a legendary made the process easier. Do you think it is? For example, Lugia or Ho-Oh in HG/SS, their stats are pretty powerful which makes the whole process rather easy to go though. You can disclude Emerald from this discussion if you like, as it's obvious a Lv. 70 is going to destroy the elite four.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I agree that it's kind of silly to judge people for what they do in their single-player game. I personally don't use the legendaries, I don't really have a reason for it, I just don't like using them and I'd rather not. But that doesn't mean it's not okay to use them, just not my style of play.

If you think about it, if it was you in the game and you caught a powerful legendary Pokemon, would you actually put it in the box and never use it?

Years
    • Seen Nov 18, 2013
    I don't prefer legendaries usually because of how powerful they are, I prefer to use underpowered Pokemon and beast with them :D

Mew~

THE HOST IS BROKEN
    Years
    • Seen Apr 13, 2016
    Well, I see your points, but this isn't a discussion on of it's okay or not, but if it's less of a challenge. There are many factors to this discussion though, keep in mind the title. How do you feel about people who use legendaries online? I know there's a limit on using certain strong legendaries, would you rather be able to use them?

Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I like using Palkia and the Regis. <3
    But if someone wants to use them, then that's their preference.

And my Rayquaza in Emerald got beaten by the Elite Four, so it didn't do too much destroying itself. lol

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Who is sitting there judging what others want to do in-game? I can use Pidgey on my team and no one should care, and the same goes for if I wanted to use Arceus or something. So they make the game a little easier? Big whoop. I've beaten the E4 on White and used most of the legendaries so far, and to be honest, some of them weren't even that good. Might have been the type match ups, maybe their levels, but really. And PS: Lugia and Ho-oh with no EVs are not so great in the E4 in HGSS. At least in my experience.

To be short though, no one should be judging what you use in-game unless you're asking for help with your team.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    If my team is completely under powered for the E4 and I've got bored of 'grinding' I use one to help.
    But, other than that I have a strict rule of not using legendaries, I just catch them to be in my PokéDex.
    But, still, What happens in Single Player, stays there.

Attribule

Veteran Wall-Worker/WW3 Survivor - AMA
    Years
    • Seen Dec 12, 2016
    The Elite Four have always been pushovers in every generation anyway, and most legendaries are pretty lackluster, so in my honest opinion it doesn't matter. People use the Pokemon they like; you can't take away the challenge from a game that never had any to begin with unless you yourself create the challenges.

Years
  • I don't normally use them. Only because sometime their use can be less of a challenge. I just dominate with my pidgeot hahaha..he was great.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Going with some of the above, I agree that it's not a good idea to judge people based on them using legendaries (some of them aren't good compared to others, like Articuno and Entei).

TwiDragon

The fun shawl be doubled!
    Years
  • Only Legendary was Zekrom/Reshriam during the big fights.

I don't use legendarys unless I'm doing a challange run, even then I'm only using the "average' rated legends

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I'd like to view this from a competitive sense in-game, actually (yeah that's totally logical). I view legendaries as fine (Celebi, Virizion, Terrakion - all being OU), but ubers as not really due to their amazing power that nobody really stands a chance against (Lugia, Dialga, Arceus, etc).

Generally you'll find a lot of Pokemon in-game are OU because they're good - and the actual tiers represents that. However I feel that while the Elite Four tends to stick to OU or UU Pokemon most of the time (just thinking of Unova's, a lot of the Pokemon used are in OU or UU - Mienshao, Jellicent, Volcarona, Conkeldurr, Chandelure, Krookodile etc) - and generally the hardest to face in their teams ARE OU and UU Pokemon. Funny thing, most people in the Elite Four don't use ubers (mainly because they're mostly legendaries so this actually makes sense) and if you're using legendaries that are considered to be ubers in online tiering (or normal Pokemon that most people think should be ubers) to sweep the Elite Four, it feels kind of effortless, and really, Pokemon is trying to send the message of "if you work hard and train your hardest you can be the best". Using legendaries that are only just caught, or that you grinded two levels higher seems kind of unfair. I'm sure if there were tiers in-game for the Elite Four then the people who are apart of the Elite Four would use the Pokemon that aren't too overpowered otherwise it's too hard for the trainers.

I dunno, to me it sends the message of "catch a legendary and beat the Elite Four then you're the best!!" and really, catching legendaries isn't as hard as RNGing (I'd assume? lol) or EV training, or breeding the Pokemon to know the right moves, etc. I feel that's much more rewarding, and since it's a children's game, I do think that's the message it should send. I think it should be a challenge - where you actually DESERVE the Elite Four title.

Zythrone

The One And Only!
    Years
  • I don't use legendaries...

I think they make the game too easy...

Its also unrealistic when you send out the Pokemon gods and the fisherman with his Magikarp doesn't even seem to notice.

aperso

Please feel free to VM random fruit types.
    Years
  • Even though i don't like the use of legendaries in battle, I did use them twice in my league challenge. I used them because the were like 30 levels higher then half of my team and had some moves that I needed like Hydro pump(Yes I used kyogra from Sapphire) and Some dragons moves From Zekrom. I just couldn't win with them them though. Even Legendaries aren't invincible.

Binary

え?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 7, 2014
    It's a matter of personal preference and choice really. I personally don't use them much in-game or competitively. Unless you're bound by rules stating that you shouldn't, I see no problem and no reason to judge people based on the Pokemon they use.

Ω Ruby and α Sapphire

No, it is completey fine to use them. Why would they have been implemented into the game if you couldnt use them. Myself, i dont use them, for no real reason, but i just like them to rot in my pc. But if pokémon were real, who wouldnt use them? Although they would be alot rarer, tha would be the cool part. They are all so epic, someone who doesnt even follow pokémon could instantly tell most legendaries apart, they have a certain look about them, you can amlost feel their presence. Also, I do love using them in battle revoloution, just because they look so much cool in 3d model, you can see how much bigger and stronger they look. Also, the UU legendaries make the E4 a lot easier, but not always the OU's.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I catch the legendaries but I never use them in my team, well hardly. I think it's fine to use them in your team though... that's what they're there for to be caught then it's your choice what you do with them.

Rhapsody

The Champion that has Style
    Years
  • I catch the legendaries but I never use them in my team, well hardly. I think it's fine to use them in your team though... that's what they're there for to be caught then it's your choice what you do with them.

Same with me. I catch them, but don't use them. And I find it fine for people to use legends.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I don't use legendaries in-game. Wanna know why? Because it gets seriously boring. When I played Yellow and I caught Mewtwo for the first time, I just used it the whole time. I don't think it ever fainted. That is an unfair advantage, but I wouldn't judge people if they did. I guess it depends on your play style or whatever, if that made any margin of sense. If you choose to completely decimate all competition in-game, that's cool. But to me it's seriously boring and I think it's more fun if the battle is more "even".

Back