• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it pretty lame that Pikachu lost to Cress and Trip?

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
Years
  • It may just be me, but what happened to the direction they took during the Johto Saga?
    There Ash was really continuing his journey in a sense that the viewers felt like they were watching someone who has experience as a Pokemon Trainer. He was simply building on his experience during that time. after that it seems like every new saga starts ash gets a complete reboot and seems like hes a totally new and raw trainer that has just started his journey. anyways i agree with some views up there stating that levels dont exist in the anime and its more down to technique and strategy. Ash should have more experience than trip without a doubt so losing is still unacceptable at this point.

p/s my 90th post... wow how the years have past.

I stopped watching Pokemon, but I am going to watch that Victini movie.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • They just did that to keep in interesting. Would it still be interesting/ climactic if pikachu OHKO'd everything in it's way, every battle, every episode, just sweeping through the whole region by it self? Ash wouldn't have any reason to catch new ones, and it wouldn't necessarily make sense.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    While I agree with most of what I read of of your post, this actually isn't true. Japan's population is an ageing one, where the percentage of elderly people are starting to grow and the birth rate is in decline.

So, can you tell me when the increase of elderly people started (what year, at least)? Might as well cross-check to see if that at least contributed to the reason behind the ratings decline. Regardless, even with that reason, the ratings sinking is far below even that to make declining birth rates the reason alone. For one thing, had the ratings been indicative of every single child in Japan at the time, that would imply that Japan was probably headed into the critically endangered zone, which would be ridiculous.

They just did that to keep in interesting. Would it still be interesting/ climactic if pikachu OHKO'd everything in it's way, every battle, every episode, just sweeping through the whole region by it self? Ash wouldn't have any reason to catch new ones, and it wouldn't necessarily make sense.

By that logic, he should have just left Pikachu at Oak's, or heck, just not have it participate in battles at all if they really want to avoid the issue of overpowering it or taking screentime away from the new pokemon being captured. And besides which, if it at LEAST was consistent in regards to Pikachu's power, I would be willing to watch it dominate.

Volcanix769

Known as the Quilava Guy!
    Years
  • They just did that to keep in interesting. Would it still be interesting/ climactic if pikachu OHKO'd everything in it's way, every battle, every episode, just sweeping through the whole region by it self? Ash wouldn't have any reason to catch new ones, and it wouldn't necessarily make sense.

I just don't find it fair for a strong Pokemon like Pikachu lose to weaker Pokemon.

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
  • I just don't find it fair for a strong Pokemon like Pikachu lose to weaker Pokemon.

Uh who's saying Panpour us weaker. I swear if the anime was not based of off the games these threads would never happen

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Uh who's saying Panpour us weaker. I swear if the anime was not based of off the games these threads would never happen

Let's see, the fact that the gym leaders often lose to pokemon that are complete rookies is more than enough to prove that he's weaker? Besides which, Pikachu took down a Regice, a Regice that was also owned by the strongest trainer in the Battle Frontier, not to mention, and its pretty obvious that that character would eat him for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, so Pikachu would have beaten him quickly, even without the whole type issue.

And in the case of Trip, Trip isn't even a Gym Leader, and going by how he reacts to Ash, he's unlikely to have travelled outside of regions, either, meaning he is at best a beginner trainer, so his even beating a pokemon that has... what, five, maybe six years more experience against it, and thus "stronger" is completely poor writing.

I mean, if Pikachu loses, it should lose to something that had at least the same level of experience as Pikachu (like say, an Elite 4 member or even a Frontier Brain).

Back