• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is it unreasonable for us to expect Misty to return?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    If they were planning to replace Ash and Team Rocket they would have done it. So no matter what, they will be on the show.

The princess "contest" is different from normal contests. Judging and style are all different.

You also can't judge the Giratina movie because you probably haven't seen it. So you wouldn't know if it were important or not. She didn't have a small part in the Darkrai movie. Did she?

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    If they were planning to replace Ash and Team Rocket they would have done it. So no matter what, they will be on the show.

Umm, didn't that kind of logic get thrown out of the window when Brock's mom was introduced to the audience? I mean, that logic dictates that, since Brock's mom was never seen for five whole seasons (and nine, if you're one of those people who doesn't count "A family that battles together stays together" as being part of the Main Anime.), never even mentioned other than in Brock's first appearance, she shouldn't have ever appeared, and yet, she did. No offense, BTW.

The princess "contest" is different from normal contests. Judging and style are all different.

um, let's see, it had a 4 pokemon limit rule in regards to the contest, just like how almost ALL pokemon grand festivals have a four pokemon limit rule.

they dressed up in kimonos, which was similar to how, in D/P, at least, they dress up for contests.

it was hinted that the Kimono was an appeal round, due to how the Emcee mentioned that the pokemon contest also had battles in it.

the same dialogue even mentioned a core asset that makes up Pokemon Contests, Pokemon contests involve a pokemon fighting with a certain sense of beauty, whileas the Emcee stated that the Princess Contest wasn't just a "beauty contest", it also featured pokemon battles, which implies that the pokemon probably have to fight with a sense of grace. (Heck, some scenes had Misty and Jessie getting those "flashy backgrounds" that happen with a flashy attack/appeal round in the Anime contests.). That's not even going into the fact that Fiorello, the PA announcer, the Emcee, Misty, Ash, Brock, James, and even Jessie called it a contest.

You also can't judge the Giratina movie because you probably haven't seen it. So you wouldn't know if it were important or not. She didn't have a small part in the Darkrai movie. Did she?

I may not have seen it, but I have read the episode summary posted on Serebii.net/Pokebeach, and believe me, it only mentions that Dawn held Shaymin, battled Zero's pokemon (though that's debatable, since Brock and especially Ash were participating in it as well.), and tried to stop the Glacier. In fact, the only important things she did in that movie that everyone can agree with was her trying to stop the glacier. (As I have said before, since people didn't count Misty holding Togepi as being important to the plot, then Dawn holding onto Shaymin isn't important, either, regardless if Shaymin was the titular character or not.)

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    Is it?​

For those who grew up watching the original pokemon, we remember Misty, and were probably pissed when she left.​

*shakes head in disbelief* I don't understand why half the fandom is "pissed off that Misty left. I mean, she had a perfectly fine reason to leave-to be at her Gym!! I suppose people are mad because she was a great character-but still! It's the creators choice on who gets to be on the show, right? Fans could, and probably have, send a bazillion angry letters to the Japanese creators to "bring Misty back"...and it wouldn't do a thing. :tired:

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    *shakes head in disbelief* I don't understand why half the fandom is "pissed off that Misty left. I mean, she had a perfectly fine reason to leave-to be at her Gym!! I suppose people are mad because she was a great character-but still! It's the creators choice on who gets to be on the show, right? Fans could, and probably have, send a bazillion angry letters to the Japanese creators to "bring Misty back"...and it wouldn't do a thing. :tired:

then how were we able to bring Brock back? I mean, if what you said was true, then even IF Tracey was completely unpopular, they wouldn't to have listened to us, because the fans, as you implied, would mean nothing to them, even IF we posted over a billion letters demanding Brock to come back.

Trap-Eds

Dig a hole, dig a hole........
    Years
    then how were we able to bring Brock back? I mean, if what you said was true, then even IF Tracey was completely unpopular, they wouldn't to have listened to us, because the fans, as you implied, would mean nothing to them, even IF we posted over a billion letters demanding Brock to come back.
    Hmmm...never thought of it that way. Wait, did the fans demand for Brock to come back, or did the creators just decide to bring him back? *shrugs*

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    I see your points Weedle, but answer me this: What would Misty do if she came back?

Well, I don't want her to do TOO much action stuff (since I realize the flaws in that kind of thing. Watch the Simpsons episode "Beyond Blunderdome" to see exactly what I mean.), I do want her to have a consistent goal, but not TOO consistent and is variable (you know, to keep her interesting. I mean, several people have complained about how the main characters that have a set goal, when done over too long, get stale [the more popular candidates being Team Rocket, May [while she was on the show, at least] Brock, and, yes, even ASH.].), in order to keep her interesting.

My answer, in short, will be, while not a set goal, probably a Main goal with tons of little goals to keep them occupied. Besides, I just wanted her back because of some things anime has done that I want to change, which she plays a key role in it.

Hmmm...never thought of it that way. Wait, did the fans demand for Brock to come back, or did the creators just decide to bring him back? *shrugs*

To answer your question, Masamitsu Hidaka kinda hinted that they brought Brock back partially because the American audience liked the character (they most likely told the creators their displeasure.).

BTW, JUST so you guys know, I only said that I take Hidaka's words with a grain of Salt when it comes to the future (since he doesn't really have that much influence on the future. He did, however, have a great deal of influence back in the Orange Islands season, since that was before he stepped down from being the director.).
    Since that had to deal with the PAST (as in, either shortly or long before his retirement from director, I can believe that. as it's a Past thing, it's almost fact. when it deals with a FUTURE issue (as in, either shortly or long into the future), though, that's where I have to take a grain of salt from what the guy says.

Anyways, that's all for now.

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Fair enough.

Err, isn't Ash and Team Rocket getting stale as it is?

They weren't standing in the background 90% of the time.

Heck, technically speaking, Ash doesn't even HAVE a definite goal (his goal is to become the World's Greatest Pokemon Master, and that thing is not even given a clear definition in the Anime.), they didn't remove them from the main cast.

Misty didn't have a definite goal. What is a water Pokemon master? We know from DP being a Pokemon master is something about winning the league and defeating the champion.

Besides, Misty did far more than Brock did,

She just did stuff anyone else could've done. Brock is known for knowing about Pokemon so he can help the group much more than she can

at least, and arguably did far more than May and even Ash.

This is where I lose the will to reply...It's impossible to argue that Misty did more than Ash, the main character of the whole story. Y'know, the star of about 500+ episodes and about all the films. Misty helped out from time to time, just as side-kicks do. But she did not actively try to achieve her goal.

(also, most of their (May and Dawns, I mean) movies involved them holding a pokemon, which, considering how people argue that Togepi being held wasn't important, then, Titular pokemon or not, May holding Manaphy and Dawn holding Shaymin aren't important to the plot either, using that same logic.)

Misty holding Togepi in the background had absolutly nothing to do with anything 99% of the time. Max, May (and Dawn?) looked after the Pokemon because it was the plot in the film. Not May and Max decided to watch Ash battling 99% as they clutched to an inaminate object.

And yet they had her going out to get her own starting pokemon, deciding to be a pokemon trainer despite hating pokemon, and even accepting a Gym badge case from her father when she could have just as easily refused it. I mean, she may not have had interests in it, but that doesn't mean that she didn't plan on taking on gyms

She said she just wanted to travel and probably took the case to convince her family she was going to battle gyms

(Remember, Brock was extremely unenthusiastic, and disliked, being a Gym Leader, and he did it anyways, only because he needed to support his family since his parents ditched them.

Like you said, Brock did it to look after his family. Different from a 10 year old girl who just wants to travel

Heck, Misty was unenthusiastic at running the Cerulean city gym, and only did it because her sisters weren't good battlers (though Daisy was getting better.).). I mean, if she didn't like pokemon from the start, then why would she even start being a Pokemon Trainer? If she didn't want to, then she shouldn't have done it.

She said it was an excuse to travel. (I'm not sure where this is supposed to be going anymore...)

I'm pretty sure they played it out to be similar to a Pokemon Contest due to the way it was made out to be was similar. Heck, they even referred to it explicitly as a Contest. I mean, if they did want to differentiate them, wouldn't they, you know, just call it a Tournament or something? Heck, the way they battled did seem stylish a little bit. Plus, the Emcee said something that hinted at the Kimono thing being an appeal round (or something close to it), as well as that the contest not only has to involve stylish things (or in Jessie's words, a "beauty contest"), it also had to deal with battles, which was, in effect, what Pokemon Contests were for.

They were not scored on beauty. Whoever won, won.

Really? Just because it's in the games in DP doesn't mean it's actually important. Heck! Contests in the games always get the short end of the stick (they are almost never part of the main plot.),

But it is in the anime. Which is what we're talking about...

and anyways, even the Anime flebs up on the importance (I mean, they keep the same guy to do gym battling runs between generations, no matter how stale he gets, yet they replace the coordinators come a new generation just to do the same goal over and over again? I mean, that seems to hint that contests are expendable, and thus, unimportant.)

Then why would they bring them back?

Well, yeah, but it seems pointless nonetheless to even try and achieve winning the Pokemon League, especially since he already won against a tournament where it's battlers are far stronger than even the elite 4.

TO have a chance at battling the champion

Well, they can still replace Ash with another character.

Could, but they chose not to.

Umm, didn't that kind of logic get thrown out of the window when Brock's mom was introduced to the audience? I mean, that logic dictates that, since Brock's mom was never seen for five whole seasons (and nine, if you're one of those people who doesn't count "A family that battles together stays together" as being part of the Main Anime.), never even mentioned other than in Brock's first appearance, she shouldn't have ever appeared, and yet, she did. No offense, BTW.

Backstories aren't something Pokemon is great at. Parts of Jessie and James's stories pop up now and again and it's probably the same with this. Misty joining the group isn't the same.

um, let's see, it had a 4 pokemon limit rule in regards to the contest, just like how almost ALL pokemon grand festivals have a four pokemon limit rule.

they dressed up in kimonos, which was similar to how, in D/P, at least, they dress up for contests.

it was hinted that the Kimono was an appeal round, due to how the Emcee mentioned that the pokemon contest also had battles in it.

Then the beauty and battling were completly seperate which loses the complexity of an actual contest.

the same dialogue even mentioned a core asset that makes up Pokemon Contests, Pokemon contests involve a pokemon fighting with a certain sense of beauty, whileas the Emcee stated that the Princess Contest wasn't just a "beauty contest", it also featured pokemon battles, which implies that the pokemon probably have to fight with a sense of grace.

But as I said, if they won the battle, they won it, beauty or not.

(Heck, some scenes had Misty and Jessie getting those "flashy backgrounds" that happen with a flashy attack/appeal round in the Anime contests.). That's not even going into the fact that Fiorello, the PA announcer, the Emcee, Misty, Ash, Brock, James, and even Jessie called it a contest.

"Contest" and "tornament" can be used interchangably. It is not a contest in the 3rd or 4th gen sense

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    They weren't standing in the background 90% of the time.

Misty wasn't even STANDING in the background! Sheesh. And anyways, even if she was, I don't see the difference. Ash, even IF he was only standing in the background 10% of the time, is getting repetitive, as is Team Rocket, and people are labeling them as stale (They're even making threads stating that they should be removed, for Goodness sakes!).

Misty didn't have a definite goal. What is a water Pokemon master? We know from DP being a Pokemon master is something about winning the league and defeating the champion.

No, we DON'T know if that's what they mean by Pokemon Master, since Lance did ALL of that, and he was never even LABELED as a Pokemon Master even ONCE.

Besides, that isn't a requirement in the Anime, according to Bulbapedia.

She just did stuff anyone else could've done. Brock is known for knowing about Pokemon so he can help the group much more than she can

Ash does stuff that literally anyone could have done as well. Heck, the Gym leader thing was literally something anyone could do. Ash also, arguably, wouldn't have impacted a thing in regards to stopping Team Rocket. I mean, if someone else was there, they could have done it as well.

This is where I lose the will to reply...It's impossible to argue that Misty did more than Ash, the main character of the whole story. Y'know, the star of about 500+ episodes and about all the films. Misty helped out from time to time, just as side-kicks do. But she did not actively try to achieve her goal.

She... Is... NOT a SIDEKICK!! A sidekick acts like a coward most of the time (Look at Luigi from the Mario series, Look at Tails, look at almost every single sidekick in history.).

Besides, you yourself said that the only thing that makes Pokemon what it is is "Pokemon", which implies that you think that even ASH is expendible.

Besides, by the verbal definition, she did. Heck, she even beat Ash at something.

Misty holding Togepi in the background had absolutly nothing to do with anything 99% of the time. Max, May (and Dawn?) looked after the Pokemon because it was the plot in the film. Not May and Max decided to watch Ash battling 99% as they clutched to an inaminate object.

Really? Tell me then, do GYM battles seem to be more or less plot integrated? because, quite frankly, since he doesn't carry his badges, and the whole Primeape thing was mostly ignored, despite being an important piece to the episode, and how Ash "Forgot" what Double battles are despite his defeating Luana in one, i'd say they AREN'T part of the plot.

And anyways, I don't CARE if Manaphy and Shaymin ARE part of the plot, anyways. If Togepi being coddled isn't counted as important, then they don't, either, titular characters or not.

She said she just wanted to travel and probably took the case to convince her family she was going to battle gyms

So? she could just as easily traveled WITHOUT one. I mean, Professor hale, an archaeologist expert, doesn't even have pokemon on him, and Lawrence III does quite a LOT of traveling as well, and he doesn't even have pokemon on him. She could have just as easily done traveling WITHOUT pokemon by her side.

Like you said, Brock did it to look after his family. Different from a 10 year old girl who just wants to travel

And I say again, she can just as easily travel WITHOUT having pokemon. I mean, some Character of the Days/Movie characters don't even NEED a pokemon to travel.

She said it was an excuse to travel. (I'm not sure where this is supposed to be going anymore...)

Me neither.

They were not scored on beauty. Whoever won, won.

Umm. most pokemon contests aren't really scored on beauty (ESPECIALLY in the battling round). The only things they had to worry about were Points (which equal stamina, anyways.) and a Time Limit (which isn't much different from a Gym battle, since they kinda implied that they sometimes do use Time Limits (since they said "no time limit", which, if a time limit didn't exist in the Gyms, it wouldn't even be necessary to mention it.).).

But it is in the anime. Which is what we're talking about...

Even still, if they really felt Contests were that important, why don't they, oh... I don't know, ACTUALLY KEEP the Good Coordinator (like May), instead of replacing her just to do it. I mean, they don't replace Ash in regards to Gym Battles, so why would they replace May (i think it would at least be consistant and fair if they either kept May in the D/P saga for Contests, or removed Ash from the Main Cast to compensate with May leaving.)

Then why would they bring them back?

Same reason why they keep bring Brock back, which is for the heck of it.

TO have a chance at battling the champion

If the Battle Frontier was officially stated to be stronger than the Elite 4, then they are CERTAINLY stronger than the Champion.

Could, but they chose not to.

Not yet, anyways.

Backstories aren't something Pokemon is great at. Parts of Jessie and James's stories pop up now and again and it's probably the same with this. Misty joining the group isn't the same.

Backstory? I was just talking about how Lola didn't appear or get mentioned for 5-9 seasons in the main show (depending on whether "A family that battles together stays together") and yet suddenly became somewhat of a recurring character even though, show-length wise, it would have been impossible. Aside from mentioning Brock's first episode, it barely even had ANYTHING to do with Brock's backstory than the likeliness of a character reappearing.

Then the beauty and battling were completly seperate which loses the complexity of an actual contest.

The way it was worded in regards to the revelation that they had a pokemon battle seemed to imply that they actually WERE co-integrated. (I mean, they said it's both a beauty contest and a pokemon battling spree, how is that NOT a form of co-integration?)

But as I said, if they won the battle, they won it, beauty or not.

The same can be said for May and Dawn's wins/their rival's wins (I didn't see how they were any different than gym battles other than the fact that Points and a time limit were involved, which even then, time limits were moreorless also hinted to be in Gym battles as well, since the mentions of a time limit (if a time limit didn't even exist in Gym battles, then what was the point in even MENTIONING that there wasn't a time limit.). I mean, they barely had anything to do with beauty as a whole (I think the only time beauty was shown in a contest was in the Appeal round. Yes, they also have to hit the opponent without losing points, but that may or may not be considered "Beauty".)

"Contest" and "tornament" can be used interchangably. It is not a contest in the 3rd or 4th gen sense

Prove it. Name me any pre Gen-III gym challenges/Pokemon Leagues that actually referred to themselves as a pokemon contest.

Last edited:

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    Please stop, both of you are making yourself look bad and dumb debating about mostly irrevelant stuff in here. Plus, no one ain't gonna read those chunks of posts.

Who cares if contests were made in GII or GIII, the writers dropped Misty because that was never her main goal.

Also, the reason May went is because some idiot decided to make Contests in Jotho AND Sinnoh, they wanted more eyecandy like the Japanese usually want and sent May away because short skirts are better that prepubes.

That should clear things up, or I'll eat my pajamas.

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    You know not all sidekicks are cowards (Robin, Bat Girl, Joey, etc.)

They got rid of Haruka so she wouldn't get stale (Kasumi, Takeshi, Satoshi, etc) and keep her character that they developed.

Oh and "ain't" isn't a word, so don't get mad Advanced.

Last edited:

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    I can't reply to everything right now...

Misty wasn't even STANDING in the background! Sheesh.

Oh yeah, the battles would mean? You only saw Misty when Brock was talking and she was sitting.

Ash does stuff that literally anyone could have done as well.

Aura! (thanks, Katsu XD) Ash has aura, there has been a movie and an episode about it in DP (in the episode about Spiritomb) and is not something everyone has, not even Misty, right? So hopefully they'll expand on it again.

She... Is... NOT a SIDEKICK!! A sidekick acts like a coward most of the time

What? Sidekick doesn't mean coward

"A sidekick is a stock character, a close companion who assists a partner in a superior position"
    "An assistant to another person, usually the person's inferior"

And I say again, she can just as easily travel WITHOUT having pokemon. I mean, some Character of the Days/Movie characters don't even NEED a pokemon to travel.

Max. Max had nothing to do.

Umm. most pokemon contests aren't really scored on beauty (ESPECIALLY in the battling round). The only things they had to worry about were Points (which equal stamina, anyways.) and a Time Limit (which isn't much different from a Gym battle, since they kinda implied that they sometimes do use Time Limits (since they said "no time limit", which, if a time limit didn't exist in the Gyms, it wouldn't even be necessary to mention it.).).

What? No it doesn't, haven't you watched them? You can win a contest with no-one fainting. It goes down when the Pokemon looks bad

Prove it. Name me any pre Gen-III gym challenges/Pokemon Leagues that actually referred to themselves as a pokemon contest.

Look in a dictionary o.O "Pokemon Contest" was just not an official thing back then

Please stop, both of you are making yourself look bad and dumb debating about mostly irrevelant stuff in here. Plus, no one ain't gonna read those chunks of posts.

Who cares if contests were made in GII or GIII, the writers dropped Misty because that was never her main goal.

Also, the reason May went is because some idiot decided to make Contests in Jotho AND Sinnoh, they wanted more eyecandy like the Japanese usually want and sent May away because short skirts are better that prepubes.

That should clear things up, or I'll eat my pajamas.

Well, that's your opinion. I wondered what most of the stuff is about, too o.O You'd be surprised, my friend told me they're reading all the way through this thread when you said that, so don't speak for others haha.

Katsu Koneko

明日がある
    Years
    Aura! (thanks, Katsu XD) Ash has aura, there has been a movie and an episode about it in DP (in the episode about Spiritomb) and is not something everyone has, not even Misty, right? So hopefully they'll expand on it again.

Actually there's been three episodes (can't believe you forgot them Jorah xD). The last two hasn't been shown in the US (they were skipped because it had to deal with the new Pokémon Ranger game or something).

Spoiler:

Well, that's your opinion. I wondered what most of the stuff is about, too o.O You'd be surprised, my friend told me they're reading all the way through this thread when you said that, so don't speak for others haha.

Yup, I'm reading them all. :D

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    Misty wasn't even STANDING in the background! Sheesh. And anyways, even if she was, I don't see the difference. Ash, even IF he was only standing in the background 10% of the time, is getting repetitive, as is Team Rocket, and people are labeling them as stale (They're even making threads stating that they should be removed, for Goodness sakes!).

Why aren't threads popping up about how Misty was removed? Because she's not there, of course. Lots of people complain about how Misty was getting stale.

She... Is... NOT a SIDEKICK!! A sidekick acts like a coward most of the time (Look at Luigi from the Mario series, Look at Tails, look at almost every single sidekick in history.).

Thank Jimmy Wales for Wikipedia.

From the Sidekick article:

"Hero Sidekicks not only provide comic relief but can occasionally be brave or resourceful at times and rescue the hero from some dire fate: such as Streaky the Supercat of Krypto the Superdog or Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke's Matt Dillon or even Paul Reiser to Helen Hunt from Mad About You."

Well, your definition of "sidekick" has officially been shot down and your ignorance of the history of sidekicks has been exposed.

Besides, by the verbal definition, she did. Heck, she even beat Ash at something.

Let me run through Misty's victories over Ash:

The Alto Mare Canal Race: Misty only won because Latias pulled Ash away at a crucial time. In other words, got lucky.
    The Whirl Cup: Misty only won because of Psyduck. A pretty poor demonstration of battle skills and writing, if you ask me.

Really? Tell me then, do GYM battles seem to be more or less plot integrated? because, quite frankly, since he doesn't carry his badges, and the whole Primeape thing was mostly ignored, despite being an important piece to the episode, and how Ash "Forgot" what Double battles are despite his defeating Luana in one, i'd say they AREN'T part of the plot.

Since you don't play the games, you are one to talk about gym battles, which are the central portion of the games' main plot. And Orange and Hoenn Double Battles may be structured differently, so you can't fault Ash there.

And anyways, I don't CARE if Manaphy and Shaymin ARE part of the plot, anyways. If Togepi being coddled isn't counted as important, then they don't, either, titular characters or not.

Did Togepi do anything besides random deus ex machinas which never built up to anything?

So? she could just as easily traveled WITHOUT one. I mean, Professor hale, an archaeologist expert, doesn't even have pokemon on him, and Lawrence III does quite a LOT of traveling as well, and he doesn't even have pokemon on him. She could have just as easily done traveling WITHOUT pokemon by her side.

She's the daughter of a respected Gym Leader. How would it feel if she didn't live up to his epic reputation?

Even still, if they really felt Contests were that important, why don't they, oh... I don't know, ACTUALLY KEEP the Good Coordinator (like May), instead of replacing her just to do it. I mean, they don't replace Ash in regards to Gym Battles, so why would they replace May (i think it would at least be consistant and fair if they either kept May in the D/P saga for Contests, or removed Ash from the Main Cast to compensate with May leaving.)

They needed someone to promote D/P, and May, being from Advanced, didn't cut it. Ash and Pikachu are practically the faces of the anime.

Backstory? I was just talking about how Lola didn't appear or get mentioned for 5-9 seasons in the main show (depending on whether "A family that battles together stays together") and yet suddenly became somewhat of a recurring character even though, show-length wise, it would have been impossible. Aside from mentioning Brock's first episode, it barely even had ANYTHING to do with Brock's backstory than the likeliness of a character reappearing.

Lola wasn't important until they brought up Brock's backstory again.

The way it was worded in regards to the revelation that they had a pokemon battle seemed to imply that they actually WERE co-integrated. (I mean, they said it's both a beauty contest and a pokemon battling spree, how is that NOT a form of co-integration?)

The battling came as a sudden add-on. That's not implied co-integration.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    IOh yeah, the battles would mean? You only saw Misty when Brock was talking and she was sitting.

I saw Misty contribute to the plot. Heck, I wrote an entire list! I worked hard to write it up and post it twice, I do NOT want to do that again. Sheesh, the whole mentality that "Only battles prove their worth" is giving me a headache, since it really doesn't.

And, if you say one more thing about Misty not doing anything, then I WILL PM you the list, as WELL as a list of how Ash, May, and Dawn's quests (not to mention most of what they do by a day to day basis) can actually be done by literally anyone.

hmmm... I don't know... If the writers willed it, she COULD have some Aura in her. Besides, she controls a psychic pokemon (technically two, if Psyduck counts), and since it was hinted as far back as Gen I (where Sabrina mentioned after beating her that Psychic powers encompass all life, and yet only few are actually aware of their being able to wield it, which is similar to the description of Aura.) that Aura and Psychic abilities might be the same, or at least similar, and since it was stated that Psychic users can exert the most control over Psychic Types... maybe she does have it.

What? Sidekick doesn't mean coward

"A sidekick is a stock character, a close companion who assists a partner in a superior position"
    "An assistant to another person, usually the person's inferior"

Ok, then, if that ISN'T the definition, please explain why it seems as if most of the Side-kicks seem to be portrayed as such (Like Luigi, Tails, Krillin, Yamcha, etc. etc.).

Besides, I just looked up TVtropes, and Misty isn't even ON the sidekicks lists (not Sidekick, not cowardly sidekick, not older sidekick, not kimberly sidekick, not watson sidekick, not even the Going for the big scoop archetype.) So, if TVtropes doesn't list her as a sidekick, she just flat out is not one (That goes for Brock, Max, Tracey, and even Dawn and May, as well.).

Also, Dark Lugia, all right, ALMOST all of the sidekicks seem to be portrayed as cowards, stupid, and/or not being able to fend for themselves. Happy?

Max. Max had nothing to do.

He was eight, which is far too early for him to even be traveling around, much less be a trainer, so he doesn't really count. May, however, was ten, and she was old enough to go out by herself (I'm guessing that age 10 is the Pokemon World equivalent of age 18, since that's when they leave the coop.)

What? No it doesn't, haven't you watched them? You can win a contest with no-one fainting. It goes down when the Pokemon looks bad

I watched the Jubilife Contest when DP was first coming on in the states, and the only OTHER determining factor of who wins is the timer (the point bar only serves as their equivalent of the status bar.)

Besides, whose to say that they DIDN'T have something similar to the Point systems (the only full battles we saw other than Misty and Jessie were Misty beating the trainer's Kingler with Bulbasaur and Jessie beating Primeape (also, it's hinted that Jessie was at the tail end of the fight, since all we saw her do was beat Primeape and advance to the next round.)

Look in a dictionary o.O "Pokemon Contest" was just not an official thing back then

Err, by Game definition, maybe not. But then again, Breeding and Double/tag battles weren't really official by the games until Gen II and III, respectively, and yet they still appeared much earlier in the anime than the games. So just because it hasn't appeared in the games doesn't make it any less of a contest. Otherwise, we should say that Double battles didn't ACTUALLY exist just because they weren't in the games (despite Luana's style being double battles.)

Vernikova

Banned
    Years
    Actually, there is aura in everyone. It's just stronger in some people Jorah.

Edit: Almost everything you listed for Misty were in filler episodes Weedle.

PorygonSquared

He's Supposed To Be Dead!!!
    Years
    Ok, then, if that ISN'T the definition, please explain why it seems as if most of the Side-kicks seem to be portrayed as such (Like Luigi, Tails, Krillin, Yamcha, etc. etc.).

Besides, I just looked up TVtropes, and Misty isn't even ON the sidekicks lists (not Sidekick, not cowardly sidekick, not older sidekick, not kimberly sidekick, not watson sidekick, not even the Going for the big scoop archetype.) So, if TVtropes doesn't list her as a sidekick, she just flat out is not one (That goes for Brock, Max, Tracey, and even Dawn and May, as well.).

Also, Dark Lugia, all right, ALMOST all of the sidekicks seem to be portrayed as cowards, stupid, and/or not being able to fend for themselves. Happy?

In case you didn't pay attention the first time:

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sidekick:

"Hero Sidekicks not only provide comic relief but can occasionally be brave or resourceful at times and rescue the hero from some dire fate: such as Streaky the Supercat of Krypto the Superdog or Festus Haggen of Gunsmoke's Matt Dillon or even Paul Reiser to Helen Hunt from Mad About You."

"While many sidekicks are used for comic relief, there are other sidekicks who are less outrageous than the heroes they pledge themselves to, and comedy derived from the hero can often be amplified by the presence or reaction of the sidekick. Examples include Porky Pig, who was more sensible and calmer than Daffy Duck in later short films; Sancho Panza is more rational than his master, Don Quixote."

In conclusion, there are about as many sidekicks more competent than the hero as there are "coward" sidekicks. Your definition of sidekick fails.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I am not liking were this is going.

Let's just say Misty is Redheaded, Gym leader and Gone. Basta.

Spinor

Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    I feel the exact opposite way for some reason.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back