• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is money everything?

killer-curry

Oro.........?
Years
  • Does money can solve all the problem? Do you think you can survive without money? What if the world does not use money?

Years
  • with money you can buy a house, but not a home.
    With money you can buy a clock, but not time.
    With money you can buy a bed, but not sleep.
    With money you can buy a book, but not knowledge.
    With money you can buy a doctor, but not good health.
    With money you can buy a position, but not respect.
    With money you can buy blood, but not life
    With money you can buy sex, but not love

Money cannot buy everything, and those who think it does are fools. I don't know about you but I would rather be poor and have love and respect from others than rich and alone. I make enough money to live on and buy the occasional luxury. That is enough for me. I listen to the radio and hear of people winning millions of pounds in the lottery or a competition, and think what I would do if I won that much money. Every time I can't think of anything I would buy, so I would either save it or donate it to charity.

Can you survive without money? If you had all the skills needed to be completely independent to the point where you can hunt, feed and care for yourself without relying on anyone else to supply goods or services to you, then yes, you can survive quite well without money. Unfortunately that applies to very few people in the world so we need some form of currency to acquire the goods and services we need and cannot get ourselves. If the world didn't use money we would go back to a time where you simply traded the goods you made with someone who had goods you needed. For example let's say I'm a carpenter. I can make all the furniture I need, but I can't hunt for meat to feed myself. So I find a hunter and trade my chair for his deer carcass so we both get what we need.

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    Is it a fiat currency, or gold backed? Because one makes me feel better about the whole thing.

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
  • For me, money isn't everything, but you can't have no money. Because, the civilization has developed into a culture that you need money for getting something, that is what money for. It helps to valuate the item and you need to have the amount of value to get it.

That's why money are not meant to solve your life problems, it just a tool to trade items.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Is it a fiat currency, or gold backed? Because one makes me feel better about the whole thing.

Great post lol.

Honestly, it really depends on your definition of wealth. Materially, money is very important. But if you do not value material, then it really is not (other than for getting basic necessities).

derrekbertrand

PKMN Haxxor
    Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2017
    As a mindless consumer, I'm only truly happy when exchanging my money for commodity items. It isn't what is received, but the act of exchange that gives happiness. #capitalism #trump2016

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Money is a necessity for survival in civilization. You need it to buy food and shelter independently, and if you don't have both, that's where natural selection comes into play.

Her

Years
    • Seen May 19, 2024
    Money cannot buy everything, and those who think it does are fools. I don't know about you but I would rather be poor and have love and respect from others than rich and alone. I make enough money to live on and buy the occasional luxury. That is enough for me. I listen to the radio and hear of people winning millions of pounds in the lottery or a competition, and think what I would do if I won that much money. Every time I can't think of anything I would buy, so I would either save it or donate it to charity.

About the lottery - the amount of people who go broke after winning the lottery honestly saddens me. Apparently about 70% of people who win a significantly large amount of money go broke within about four years. I don't really blame them, it's an established phenomenon that so many people fall into. The sudden upheaval and change in lifestyle is very hard to adjust to, even with having someone in charge of your money and what not. The sheer concept of how much money they now have available to them boggles their mind. It's very understandable to see how people fall into the trap when money suddenly becomes a luxury as opposed to a necessity. Apparently the biggest factor is that people give far too much away to family and friends, for whatever reason. Fear, friendliness, guilt, etc.
    Winning the lottery gives people a sense of invincibility and that's the most dangerous aspect about it. Not the money itself or even the person involved, it's the stratospheric jump from where they before that can rock almost anyone.

Blah

Free supporter
    Years
  • I think it is. While some say, "you can't buy everything with money", most of these things are emotional attachments or things which money has nothing to do with. Money certainly can make it easier to obtain happiness. I'd be much happier with a new computer and no student loans.

Instead of thinking of the inability to buy the intangible, think about the ability to buy tangible things which make it easier to obtain what is intangible.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • doesn't history tell us it is possible to survive without money because money wasn't always ''here''

money is not everything. it can do A LOT for you
    but it is certainly not magical, being able to solve every single problem in your life​

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    It can't solve every problem but I imagine most problems are easier to solve when you're not cold and hungry. Having massive amounts of money isn't going to make much difference, as long as you have enough money to live comfortably you're good.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Money was only created to control and line the pockets of the tyrants.
    Mankind did just fine without money back then. Of course now money is needed for everything and only the rich live a good life leaving the rest struggling but even the rich aren't always happy because money doesn't buy happiness. Money is just an object used to buy another object, it really holds no value. You think you have money? Well, to tell you the truth you're wrong.. Everybody is in debt because the world is in debt. If the monetary system were to collapse today, only the strong would survive. The rich would most likely die off because they got the "I need money" stuck in their head and they know nothing but the life of luxury.

Years
  • Money was only created to control and line the pockets of the tyrants.
    Mankind did just fine without money back then. Of course now money is needed for everything and only the rich live a good life leaving the rest struggling but even the rich aren't always happy because money doesn't buy happiness. Money is just an object used to buy another object, it really holds no value. You think you have money? Well, to tell you the truth you're wrong.. Everybody is in debt because the world is in debt. If the monetary system were to collapse today, only the strong would survive. The rich would most likely die off because they got the "I need money" stuck in their head and they know nothing but the life of luxury.

"Money was only created to control and line the pockets of the tyrants". Really? I'm pretty sure currency was developed for the cases where a straight trade of items isn't possible. Going back to my previous example of the carpenter trading a chair for a hunter's deer carcass, if the hunter already has enough chairs he doesn't want to trade his deer carcass for something he doesn't need. So then we have to trade something else that is equal value to the deer carcass but can be used to acquire other items.

You are right though that money itself holds no real value. After all, why is a £20 note worth more than a £10 note? They are both the same size and take the same amount of time and effort to make. So why is one worth twice as much as the other? In reality it isn't, and if the stock market crashed they would both become equally worthless, because when all is said and done, they are just small printed bits of paper that are good for nothing.

This brings up a (to me) rather interesting point: the difference between value and price. Just because something has a high price doesn't mean it has a high value. For example, Diamond jewelry has a very high price, but holds no real value (you cannot use it for anything). On the flip-side, water is a lot cheaper to acquire but is worth infinitely more because without it we would die. So, if we suddenly got rid of currency, the rich person with all the jewelry would actually end up being very poor because their jewels and fancy clothes don't have any real worth. They would just be hunks of rock and pieces of cloth that wouldn't help them to survive.

Years
  • I feel like we need a devil's advocate here.

Money isn't literally everything, but it's pretty much everything. Whatever problems people have in their lives, money can generally help. For example, money's not going to help when you've cheated on your partner and you've just been outed, but you know what? Having money will help out your romantic life a lot. You can woo potential suitors who are into money, bribe them with gifts, and in general have the privileged romance that disposable income can bring you.

Reactions: Her
    Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    Money is a form of exchange for bartering. Money is really gold and other precious metals being stored in your government highest facilities. You money is basically gold. We need a need to do something and that is we have money.

If life was perfect we would have hospitals and jungles and parks. That is it. But with choice we have more things outside of that. Like Gilgamesh the fictional story.

As a young person I feel love and it is love. But as educated continuing adult with decision making process. I do not feel anything. Thus I find my equal and that is when money matters. You could be happy and go lucky from when your young and then somebody challenges you. Nature could burn down your house. A stranger could kill your loved ones. A savage person could take away the ability of another person to make income. An civilized person could take away a persons ability to make income

Point is that everybody is the same and normal but the dominant behaviour of people is what stops people from progressing.

Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    Money is a form of exchange for bartering. Money is really gold and other precious metals being stored in your government highest facilities. You money is basically gold. We need a need to do something and that is we have money.

If life was perfect we would have hospitals and jungles and parks. That is it. But with choice we have more things outside of that. Like Gilgamesh the fictional story.

As a young person I feel love and it is love. But as educated continuing adult with decision making process. I do not feel anything. Thus I find my equal and that is when money matters. You could be happy and go lucky from when your young and then somebody challenges you. Nature could burn down your house. A stranger could kill your loved ones. A savage person could take away the ability of another person to make income. An civilized person could take away a persons ability to make income

Point is that everybody is the same and normal but the dominant behaviour of people is what stops people from progressing.

I totally agree with what you have just said and I also agree with the whole play on words thing from earlier about being able to get things but not necessarily be satisfied. That's pretty much what money is, a means to an end sometimes with positive consequences and sometimes dependent on dominant behavior it can also cause problems.

The line with money for this thread is know money, know how to earn a small fortune, guard it and get to know money well. Think positively and with your brain! It isn't everything but to live a basic life in the western world you have to know it in order to not have the view that it could be everything because it certainly isn't.

Elysieum

Requiescat en pace.
    Years
  • The problem is that money is the language of this world. If you do not want to speak it, you are going to have a hard time.

Having money means you also have influence. Money is used to get things done, locally and internationally. I do not necessarily have the driving desire to earn more and more money as my career progresses past my living costs, but I will also not underestimate money in any way.

Money is the way humans have decided to make the world turn. May as well play the game.

Years
  • The problem is that money is the language of this world. If you do not want to speak it, you are going to have a hard time.

Having money means you also have influence. Money is used to get things done, locally and internationally. I do not necessarily have the driving desire to earn more and more money as my career progresses past my living costs, but I will also not underestimate money in any way.

Money is the way humans have decided to make the world turn. May as well play the game.

Can't argue with that. With money comes influence, mainly because the influential people of the world value items like jewelry that are rare, so even though they are low in value, have a high price. Essentially it comes down to greed. More often than not, humans desire to have more of something than those around them. The only explanation I can give for that is it is an evolution of the basic survival instinct: We humans believe that if you have more of something you are more likely to survive. While in the case of money this is true, there is a point where you have enough money to comfortably survive. After that, increasing the amount of money you have won't increase your chances of survival.

Back