• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokémon Childish?

Arcis

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
    • Seen Nov 22, 2020
    The show is most definitely directed at children. The cards can be for all ages, but I feel as if the games can be enjoyed by a mostly older crowd. Maybe this is just me, but from my experiance I feel like I didn't fully understand the games compared to now. What I'm trying to say is when I started I didn't understand types, balanced teams, ev training, etc. Still, for the most part the franchise is pretty childish.

I think that's good for pokemon though. It helps keep a steady fanbase going by reeling them in when they're young and keeping them in with the games when they get older.

I'm in total agreement with Ayselipera. The show, I think, is childish, but the games? Well, they have a balance. There are childish aspects, but there's so much depth to go into that really, you can't fully call them childish. The level of strategy and detail puts the games on a level where they're appreciated by older players as well.

Lord Varion

Guess who's back?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 6, 2015
    Pokemon was based for kids
    but really anyone can play woteva they want really

ash k.

professional spider smasher
    Years
    Okay, so I saw the original thread was locked, since it was revived after a month+, but it really caught my eye.

So, my question to you: Is Pokémon childish? Why?

In my honest opinion, no it is not. Sure it's a game/TV Show made for children of a certain age, but it doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable for the whole family or something.

i have that picture. and yes it is childish, but so is everything else. dont be ashamed.

Jemzx

Guardian Trainer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2010
    Maybe the anime is childish, but the type of game isn't. Anyways, depends on how ppl see the plot of the game... I personally enjoyed the most the first generation games, for me it had the most serious plot...xD

Years
    As for not having a "message" to convey, I disagree; all mediums of Pokémon emphasize the importance of not giving up at the first hurdle, teamwork, friendship, and respect for all forms of life.
    Those are all pretty easy ideas to wrap your head around. "Don't give up when things get hard" and "Let's work together!" seem more like platitudes than messages. No, I'm still not convinced.

I like how a lot of people's reasoning goes along the lines of: "Pokemon isn't childish. After all, I play it."

Krystallyn

☼ ♥You make me smile♥ ☼
    Years
    No!!

There is no evidence to suggest that pokémon is for younger children only. Children ages 4-104 can still have fun with it, though every friend of mine loves the original season and the video games, which seem to be angled at an older audience.

Guy

just a guy
    Years
    Pokémon is only as childish as you see it to be. For some who watch the anime, play the game, or TCG then they will all have different views on how they rate it, childish or not. As for myself, I more or less play the games over watching the anime and taking use of the TCG, but I still view each one differently. The games, relatively simple for the younger aged players still has a slight slight level of difficulty that doesn't make it overly childish as some may think of it to be.

The anime, a predictable show most say it to be can be considered a little more childish than the games. However, it teaches a lesson that more younger viewers have to learn rather than the more grown viewers. So, it ranges from person to person.

For the TCG, something I don't relatively have a strong view on I can't give my opinion on. I can't say it's childish nor can I say it isn't as I don't have much knowledge on the matter. I can take a guess and say it comes with strategy and thought as most TCGs do, but how difficult it may be compared to others, I wouldn't know.

Regardless of this all though, the most important factor is whether one enjoys Pokémon or not. If one doesn't then most likely they may view it was childish, however those who are strong fans of it may see it differently even if they are of the older groups.

Years
    No, Pokemon is not childish at all. Although I do agree that the censorship has gone a bit too far at times, like the banning of Legend Of Dratini and other episodes but the anime is definetely not childish. I am 25 now and have loved Pokemon since it first came out here.

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
    I found out about Pokemon when I was 4. You can say it's childish if you want. Some people say its satanistic and then have parties where they burn cards and action figures (this is true, a church in the midwest is doing this). But it wasn't that way for me. When I was young and sometimes still now, I got bullied on alot. Literally everyday I was called things I'd rather not repeat. But when I got home I knew I could fall back into a world of fantastic monsters and cute creatures and reliable pets who helped guide me in another world. Most of all it made me feel like I had friends when I knew I didn't. It made me feel, if only for a moment special. When I was in 4th grade there was this kid who used to pick on me and I would pretend that one day I would find a Charmander who would use Ember on him to scare him away. It was a fantasy but it just goes to show that when nobody is there at least you Pokemon will be.

Rydenio

Shameless plugger
    Years
    Pokemon is childish, yes. The design, the tone, and the feel of it seems very much aimed at children. BUT, with the depth of the games, and the serious overtones of the whole series, it's not just for kids. In fact, many of the aspects of it would go way over the head of a child. I'd say it's 12-13+, and also enjoyable for adults, albeit not socially accepted. :)

Empty Pot

a new beginning...
    Years
    I don't know honestly. I feel the anime is strongly childish.
    And for the game series, I'm losing my grip. I dont even play my Platinum anymore.
    It rots in my DS under my bed.

Captain Hobo.

Posting King
    Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2011
    I think that pokemon is childish it is just another thing for kids to start liking. That is what I think.

Years
    I would say that the anime is childish, but the games are not (unless you consider DS games childish full stop). That's my way of seeing it, anyway. It can't be childish if you have heaps of people battling competitively all over the world and working out strategies and all that jazz (ie. Smogon).

Back