• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is "Pokemon" a species?

Years
    But Pokemon of two different species can breed with each other and make offspring, something that a dog and a cat for example can't do. ;x
    While that is true, I don't see how that changes anything. Pokemon do still have to be compatible with each other in order to breed. Also, keep in mind that we are theorizing about fiction using real-world science. :P

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    In the anime, we see pokemon falling in love with pokemon of completely different kinds many times but it doesn't necesaarily mean they can breed.

The games are the closest to canon we can get and in games Pokemon like Rattata and Rhyperior can breed and make offspring.

I think that Pokemon needs another classification between species and Pokemon, that would be equivalent to their egg group.

Years
    A lion and a tiger can have offspring, despite being of a different species. I'd figure Egg Groups are a Genus. A Pokemon would be of a separate Kingdom all of their own. Phylum would be probably a Body Type. And you'd keep going down, and so on, until you hit a species, which would probably be a basic Pokemon and it's "evolutions" (or you can consider them a separate species, whatever floats your boat.) And just as separate species can, on rare cases, interbreed with other species, perhaps Pokemon have a separate biology that allows them to interbreed more readily within the same genus/families.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    I think you could compare them with bacteria? Bacteria aren't an animal species, they are bacteria. So Pokémon would just be their own race or whatever.

Years
    • Seen May 8, 2012
    Well, they are not animals. They are different breed of a living beings. The breed is called Pokemon.

Back