• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is Pokemon unknown to some?

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
Years
  • So do you think there people in the country who never heard of Pokemon or have any clue what it is? I'm just curious if you ever met someone who asked you what it was. Now I don't mean little kids but people old enough that should know it.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    Yeah, they exist. Especially those who were 40+ when the show came out and didn't have kids or had grown kids that never got into it.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    My friend didn't know until I told her about it last year haha. Same grade, same age. But she's always been extremely athletic. Never really stayed indoors when we were young.

PaperNapkin

Owner of Red Hair.
    Years
  • I always considered Pokemon to be a part of pop-culture and that most people should have a general understanding; my mom of all people knows more than a few Pokemon by name. That being said, I was a little shocked when discussing Pokemon with friends at work, several people our age actually had no idea what we were talking about. So yes, while it may seem strange, there are people out there that do not know.

Cazzef

Pokémon Trainer
    Years
  • My family barely knows about it, except my brother who despises it and harrasses me that I play it lol, he only knows Pikachu!

Juzey

I love Shaymin!!!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 3, 2012
    I've only talked to one or two people that don't know even vaguely what I mean when I say the word "Pokémon", most people have heard of it but don't know much about it.

Alexander Nicholi

what do you know about computing?
    Years
  • Pokémon has a dedicated 4chan board, so I doubt there is a portion that is blatantly unaware of its existence. Needless to say, most people have a vague understanding of Pokémon, but do not comprehend beyond that illusion.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    Pokémon has a dedicated 4chan board, so I doubt there is a portion that is blatantly unaware of its existence. Needless to say, most people have a vague understanding of Pokémon, but do not comprehend beyond that illusion.
    Agreed, I think there are plenty of people who don't know what pokemon is exactly or understand it but there's not many that don't know of it at all I think, but probably they do exist.

GhostQuill

Nooby Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2012
    Not to mention the kids of the overly religious parents that thought/think Pokemon is from the devil and should not be watched, but in a sense tehy do know about Pokemon's existance, but not really more than that.
    And there's of course, the adults that claim to "be a kid's game" so they never got into it

Outkin

OM*G PIKMIN 3!!!
    Years
  • I don't know what pokemon is, what's that?

I've only met one person who said they didn't know, but I think they were messing with me. The majority of people I know only know pikachu though.

Bika

lmfao
    Years
    • Seen Jun 17, 2012
    Almost every single person I've met knows Pikachu or even the three gen 1 starters. I think you have to try REALLY hard to never come across Pokemon...

salmence33

I'm out here
    Years
    • He/him
    • Seen Apr 26, 2024
    I have yet to come across a person who has said that they don't know what pokemon is. I guess I don't bring it up enough. But no matter what it is, there will be someone who doesn't know about it, even something as popular as pokemon.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • There are probably some people who don't know what Pokemon is. There's not much who don't, mostly older people over 50 or 60 with no children. Though most people have at least heard of it, but know much about it. Most people at least know who Pikachu is cause that's the only one my grandma could remember.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    5-10 years ago, it would have been hard to find anyone who had never heard of anything Pokemon. Kids around the world were infatuated and parents everywhere knew about it through them. Pokemon was used in Game shows (such as Who Wants to be a Millionaire) and I'm sure it's been referenced on different shows. There will be a portion of people who have never heard of it, just like there are people who have never heard of the Beatles.

Back