• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is power good or bad?

Charcoal92

Banned
Years
  • I know that many people love power and such, I mean it make you feel important and recognized. Yet, the other effects power may have is bad and not good. For example, a person who used their power to help and don't look at as per say power. But then there are people who want power and only use it as means to rule or dictate life in a world. I wanted power a few weeks ago. The mod power so people who say hey look he is awesome and cool. But after a bit I got to hungry and forced myself to near insanity, so power is good and some people look at it as a role. But there are people who can use power for horrible and self absorbed deeds. I relished on the idea and well it strike a good discussion. So in your opinion is power good or bad. Should only certain people have it. Or should it be allowed to all?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I think power should be saved for certain people. There are just people that shouldn't have all that much power. They don't have the maturity to respect other people and would abuse their power to the point where everyone just hates the person. Power should be given to the people that can handle it. It shouldn't be given to the people that actively pursue it and make it clear that it's all they want. Because, once they get the power, what then? Normally, it turns out bad. If someone has displayed the maturity to handle that much power, then I think that the person should have it.

Charcoal92

Banned
    Years
  • Okay. That was a respectable reply I see where you are going. So you think that power is for the mature people okay. Understood.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
  • Depends on what you have power over. Power over yourself and your own life? Always a good thing. Power over other people? Almost always a bad thing.

Years
  • Is power inherently a good or bad thing, or does power manifest people's real nature? I think it depends on how that power is wielded. It depends on the character and temperament of the person. Power does tent to have a tendency to corrupt those who wield it, although that could just be weaknesses in the person's character. So I wouldn't say it's inherently one way or the other.

Years
  • But what is power but the ability to influence behaviour in other people? Is power always something that's "given"? That seems to make sense under rules and laws, but power can be conceptualized another way. Popularity can be a source of power even though it isn't explicitly given to that person by someone. Why should we bother with who's giving power when you can make your own?

Power can also take many forms. There is coercive power - that is, A forces B to do something they do not want to do, to put it another way, swinging a big stick. Yet there is also attractive power, dangling a carrot - A can offer B something they want or take away something they don't want. There is also structural power, in which A can design the world in such a way that makes it difficult for B to accomplish something. A hasn't done anything actively to B, yet the system has been set up in such a way to benefit A's goals. There is also mind-control power, in which A is able to convince B to think in a way he wants. I think popularity would fall under this last category.

Let's say I am a parent, and I want my child to lose some weight because he eats a lot. I can use coercive power and take away his privileges or attractive power and offer him rewards - maybe a PS4. I can also use structural power - I design the rules of the house in such a way that I regulate when we have meals and snacks, or even better, I control what kind of snacks we buy for the family when I go shopping, after all I am the parent and am in control of that. I can also use mind-control, in which I would convince him that dieting is for his own good and he should think to his long-term health (which kids are usually unable to do on their own).

I think it would be good to broaden our conception of power because we will find that a broad conception of power proves most useful, not only as a way of looking at the world but also in application. If all you thought about was power as is given to you, then of course that would drive you crazy as there is only so much to be given out. But there are other ways of pursuing power, and they are in no way less potent. Rule-given power is "for" mature people, yes. Is there really a limit though? This is probably why I'm a Slytherin.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Power corrupts, and Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely.

The extent of the corruption varies with the power and the responsibility that comes with it. But corruption is a relative term, and while Power does change a person, that change is not always a negative one.

Years
    • Seen Jun 19, 2022
    "With great power comes even greater responsibility."

--

Power should be EARNED, not given.

Years
  • Who's to say someone who earned this power and did a great deal for their nation won't end up corrupted in the process? Power can be good or bad depending how the person makes use of it. However I agree what Finnick said. People who usually have power manifest their greed and his/her intentions on others. It is not supposed to be something that can be handed out so easily.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • Power corrupts, and Absolute Power corrupts Absolutely.
    I was waiting for this quote.

This is commonly said, but I disagree with it. Maybe I have too much faith in human nature, but I don't believe everyone is corrupted by power. I think a lot of the people who take power for themselves end up being corrupt, but I don't think it's a result of their holding power, I think they likely had problems before they took power (and probably their lack of ethics helped them take power to begin with). I'm sure there are historical examples that would back me up here. Obviously there are a lot of examples that demonstrate the contrary, but surely there were kings and emperors and possibly even autocrats who did right by their subjects.

But corruption is a relative term, and while Power does change a person, that change is not always a negative one.
    I think a negative change is inherent to the definition of corruption. It is literally "the act of corrupting or of impairing integrity, virtue, or moral principle." However, that's pedantry, and I completely agree that people are not always negatively affected by power.

Last edited:
    Back