• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

is the DSI a ripoff?

TRIFORCE89

Guide of Darkness
    Years
    I don't think it's a rip off. This is nothing new.

Game Boy -> Game Boy Pocket - > Game Boy Light
    Game Boy Advance - > Game Boy Advance SP - > Game Boy Micro
    PlayStation Portable - > PlayStation Portable Slim & Lite - >PSP-3000
    Nintendo DS - > Nintendo DS Lite - > Nintendo DSi

The Game Boy Color is sort of an oddity. All on it's own. So lonely.

foullump

Rom Hacking Guru
    Years
    Absolutely! It puts the final lock on eliminating gba games! Which, inversely ruins games like diamond, pearl, platinum. Not to mention any of your gbas.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2017
    Surely it will feel like a ripoff if you have no use of those newly added features.
    I know I don't need them, so it does feel like a useless thing to me.
    In fact, the GBA slot is being removed, how do you take that?

Raven-NAR-32450

The Great and Powerful RAVEN
    Years
    i might get one to try it out in a sense, but to me, its not really worth it, i like to play my GBA games as an actual cartridge instead of some game that was downloaded from somewhere, also my PSP has an SD card reader already so why would i want one in my DS, and the camera, what a waste of space, what good is a camera that gets less then 0.5 megapixels other then taking shoddy pictures?

Clairissa

Shining brilliantly!
    Years
    It looks like a fun little change from the DSlite.
    I never had an original DS, by the time I got one it was all DSlites anyway, depending on the price of the DSi I might try one, the lack of a GBA kinda stinks, but I already transferred my third gen pokemon over, and the dongle thing I never trusted, can just end up breeding them anyway <.<

Ayano Katagiri

♥ 陳意涵 - 痞子英雄
    Years
    I still own a DS lite and don't plan to get the DSi. My friend has got the DSi and I've used it; the new interface is a nice change and some of the functions are kinda nice to have but in general isn't that much of a necessity of an upgrade for someone already with a DS (phat or lite).

C r A s H.

Ra d i a t i o n
    Years
    • Seen Aug 20, 2009
    I think the DSi will be excellent. With it's cameras, music player, online game store, brighter screens and better pivot, it'll be great.

There already one game announced (Warioware: Made in ore) which uses the cameras so you can make your own levels

A Pixy

Cruel?
    Years
    Considering this is the POKE community, I'd say yes. You can't migrate your Pokemon on a DSi but I'm sure someone said that. Nintendo is just using the DSi as an excuse to take our money to give us what the DS was supposed to do in the first place. Sony's smart doing everything the DSi can do minus the camera.

Immortal_one

Math is power.
    Years
    I don't think it's a ripoff exactly, but if you have a DS already, there's no sense in getting a DSi. It's only got an internal memory of 256MB, and with practicality figured in, you could expand it with an SD card to around 4-5GB. I assume it's got an mp3 player, but there are mp3 players that are not only cheaper than the DSi, but also have more space.

The camera I thought was just unnecessecary, considering digital cameras are well priced now, and just about everyone has one. The online store is one of the few things it has going for it, but I feel that it's outweighed by the DSi's cons.

Like Foxhound said, if you don't have a DS, buying a DSi would make perfect sense, but if you have a DS already, there's really no point in buying it.

Years
    Personally, I don't think it's a rip-off at all. I own one, and I love it. It's incredibly fun - the photo editting application is so fun. XD; I wasted a lot of time just messing with it.
    The only thing wrong with it is the lack of a GBA Slot.
    However, don't let that scare you away from buying it - it's a great system, and I think it's definitely worth it. :/
    The DSi, to me, seems to be like a glimpse into the future of handheld gaming. Its successor, be it a DS something or another, or a new series of handheld consoles can only improve and be better. :D

War Flame

Burning Ninja
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2009
    Meh, I don't think it's a ripoff if you're going to use the extra features, like others have said. I want to get one(though I won't be able to afford one), the only thing that really bothers me is the fact that there's no GBA slot.. I'll need to keep my regular Lite for that.. The only wifi shop thingy(can't remember what it's called, sorry. =P) Is something that really interests me though.

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2022
    I think the DSi is a waste of money if you already have a DS, same goes with the DSlite. I've had my regular DS since December of 04 and it still does its job perfectly, I personally believe it's more durable than the more recent iterations also. :P

I left my 1st Generation DS in my bathroom and it got soaked in water. It was so durable that all I needed to do was just dry it off and wait for three hours to pass and worked perfectly the next day and I've played tons of games on it since.

dark charmander

Gaara...
    Years
    thanks for ur help guys ive had some mixed opinions but i think i will leave it 2 wether my mum makes me give up my ds lite but if she lets me keep it i will definetly buy 1 (i'll probubly have 2 buy it myself but so be it) coz it sounds like alot a fun ^^ again thanks for ur help

Yuoaman

I don't know who I am either.
    Years
    I'll probably eventually get one, but I'll end up keeping my DS Lite, I still do enjoy my GBA games.

Back