• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the main character spoiled?

Years
    • Seen Mar 23, 2012
    noticing the usual

Off of the top of my head I can think of...
    The cooltrainer on the Lapras level of union cave who has all three Kanto starters
    The girl on the Blackthorn-New Bark route who has two wartortles
    The already mentioned girl on the way to the league who has all three of the bulbasaur line
    Ace trainer, post-Rocket Lake of Rage, all three second stage starters of Kanto
    Pretty sure that there's at least one more person who uses charmeleon.

And, of course, it isn't really likely to find starters from a different region in the other games, because none of the others are directly next to another region.

So no, they're not quite so rare as it would seem.
    exactly the point i was going to make and as well i think everyone is forgetting blue in some versions he has two starters as well as champion lance who has a charizard also there are 2- 3 other houses in each starting town why are you and your friend the only ones lucky enough to get 1 of THE most rare pokemon ever

Hann

What's all the Buzz about...
    Years
    • Seen Oct 8, 2020
    Juniper mentions that the parents of the protagonist/everyone else asked her to send them out to the real world and explore, iirc in-game.

Yeah I know. I forgot about that when I was writing about it. Cheren mentions it at the gate to Nimbasa City.

Team Rocket is responsible for the Red Gyarados at the Lake of Rage, but that's about it.

Thanks, that's it! I knew they were responsible for something but I couldn't remember what.

Killjoy

"He was a laser fish."
    Years
  • Plus, you also gotta remember that you come from a home that is basically your room, and a kitchen lol your mom sleeps on the table. You have no dad, and your mom is a stay at home parent, so there's not a lot of money comin in. That's not spoiled lol

Lol just kidding. I like this thread though, lots of good points

Gonshiro

Zeon Lieutenant Junior Grade
    Years
  • Thanks, that's it! I knew they were responsible for something but I couldn't remember what.

Haha no problem, I'm currently replaying Crystal (I had it when it was new, but gave it to a friend, so I only played through once) and was at the Lake of Rage a few days ago.

Seeing as I have yet to respond to the topic at hand, though...

I don't think that spoiled is the correct word, like you said. It depends on which region you're talking about, since each main character is so different, as Buzz Buzz has said in a previous post.

In R/B, the main character (I'm just going to call him Red) is lucky enough to live in the same town as Professor Oak, and yes, he does receive a Pokemon from said Professor, but Red has a ton of responsibility once he turns 10. That's pretty young to venture all the way to Viridian City and back to Pallet to deliver Oak's custom Pokeball. (Lazy courier...) Then Oak tells Red and his rival (I'll go with Blue, since the old man can't even remember his own grandson's name), to go out and find 151 different Pokemon. (...In retrospect, every adult seems to be extremely lazy at this point. You even have some old man lounging around complaining about coffee or something.) Honestly, I think that Professor Oak is the spoiled one. Sitting in his lab, eating lunch, while the 10 year old kids do his bidding.

Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2012
    I think the fact that the main character is only 10 years old and on a journey alone is irrelevant. Age is not treated the same in the Pokemon world as the real world (see the Pokemon morals thread). It's the dream of all kids to go on Pokemon journeys and meeting tons of new Pokemon, it's not a chore for them like I could be seen as in the real world.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
    Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    Going on a journey isn't a chore to begin with. From the looks of it, most people want to go on them and if they don't, well, they just don't. No one forces kids to start training Pokemon. Actually, most people in the games only ever talk about Pokemon and battling and how amazing it is, etc. This is pretty much the same in our world. If a kid doesn't want to go travel the world, let him/her be. Forcing a child would be like child abuse, or something.

The character is spoiled in the sense that they receive every single opportunity. In other words, they happen to be at the right place at the right time. All the time too. But if this didn't happen, the game would be very boring indeed.

Back