• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the Pokemon craze really dying?

Years
    • Seen May 26, 2007
    First, thanks for your responses. Second, I think we've unanimously agreed that Pokemon is not dead, but in relation to the pokehype, "declining." It's not gone completely and it still has a sufficient amount of popularity here in the US; it just isn't where it was five or six years ago. Which isn't the least bit ironic.

Pokemon is no longer a craze.

It passed that mark when gold and silver were release IMO.

And this is pretty much where I stand... I just don't "hear" about as much Pokemon now, aside from the games. It's been proven that the games are well-to-do and the Pokefluence is here, but the actual "craze," the "can't have a decent outcome if we don't have a pikachu flag up somewhere," is gone. Which can be summed up in one word, 'time.' I asked the question "Is Pokemon dying?" because I've been disconnected from it for so long and didn't know exactly where it was now. I'm thankful you guys helped me out.

Razer302

Three Days Grace - Break
    Years
    I can't say anything about the new games yet as they aren't out in England yet. But I can say that Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald are the best games so far in the whole series.

PikaRom

The Punk Nerd
    Years
    You know, I have to say, the franchise never really seemed to be dying to me. Of course, the world isn't exactly as Poke-hyped as it once was, but Diamond and Pearl sells pretty big, the anime still plays on national television, and people are still buying the merchandise, as Alter Ego said. As long as Nintendo is making money, Pokemon won't die. It is still a billion-dollar seller in the US alone.

I'd imagine Pokemon within 5-6 years the same way it is now, not the most popular, but still around entertaining many.

Years
    • Seen Jun 9, 2007
    As long as pokemon has fans and people are making money off it, it won't die.

Demonfang64

Ace Trainer
    Years
    I think that in no way its dying. Mainly because whenever I go out to eat theres at least 5 kids of varied ages playing a game. So at least here in Delaware its not dying.

Years
    So who remembers back in 1999 (or 98') when the first Pokemon Movie came out? It became the "highest grossing of all Pokémon films and of all anime films in the US" (Wikipedia.com).

Omg, I remember when the The First Pokemon movie came out, those limited edition cards were popping up in my school, hell little kids were even selling them for $20 when I was in elementery.

Yeah, unfortunately I'm going to have to agree that Pokemon has died only because of one word, "Overrated". The T.V show, the toys, its too much... I mean like, if they came out with an episode honoring the veteran characters in the T.V show, that'll probably attract the veteran Pokefans and may start something (You know...when like Ash let go of Bulbasaur, Squirtle, and Charizard? Oh, and Pidgiot) Thats just my humble opinion.

- MegamanC

Shiny Umbreon

光るブラッキー
    Years
    It's just that everyone liked the anime. Now the anime is crap and very few people watch it. The only thing that has saved Pokémon are the games, which I also think were dying until April 22. D/P was the greatest thing ever made, so Pokémon fans were happy. If D/P had been another game (I mean without Wi-Fi) games would be collapsing, too, as well as the rest of the franchise.

SBaby

Dungeon Master
    Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2015
    It's just that everyone liked the anime. Now the anime is crap and very few people watch it.

Because it's too freaking repetitive.

I don't think the craze is really dying though. I think we're in a down trend. But there'll always be a cult following. I think it'll be popular for years to come.

Look at Transformers, for example. Started in the mid-80s and now there's a live-action movie coming out, though it probably won't be that great (not surprising, they did a live-action He-Man movie and that just didn't work). But the fact that there is one should show you that it's still alive after more than twenty years.

Back