• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the TCG still competitive?

Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2013
    I'm hardly familiar with the TCG, so I thought someone could shed some light into this.

I'm wondering if the TCG has enough depth in the gameplay / matches against others? Or are you in instant trouble if you start off with a poor hand?

Is the skill ceiling high compared with stuff like traditional competitive Pokemon battling?

I've read that a few cards were banned, and that one or two sets and cards used to dominate in the top tournaments. Is this still true today, or do we see a larger variety of cards used?

Years
  • Well, to prevent broken cards from dominating too long, and to keep the game easy to get into for newer players, they've gone and made it so only recent sets are play legal. They've been doing this since 2002. I'd say it's considerably more competitive, though you are in for a bad game if you get a bad hand, since there's so much more draw power available in the game now.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Well, to prevent broken cards from dominating too long, and to keep the game easy to get into for newer players, they've gone and made it so only recent sets are play legal.

So is my base 150 set Charizard with 120HP no longer allowed? o-o I'm talkin' the very first Charizard card from around 1999.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Nope. I've just started collecting again and the last cards I got before that were seven or eight years ago, the Team Rocket set. Those cards are now illegal according to the TCG rules.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
    Years
  • Nope. I've just started collecting again and the last cards I got before that were seven or eight years ago, the Team Rocket set. Those cards are now illegal according to the TCG rules.

May I ask why? o-o I have the entire Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, and the original sets. Why can't I use them?

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022

May I ask why? o-o I have the entire Jungle, Fossil, Team Rocket, and the original sets. Why can't I use them?

I think donavannj's post is the most clear way of putting it:

Well, to prevent broken cards from dominating too long, and to keep the game easy to get into for newer players, they've gone and made it so only recent sets are play legal. They've been doing this since 2002. I'd say it's considerably more competitive, though you are in for a bad game if you get a bad hand, since there's so much more draw power available in the game now.

Of course, that doesn't stop you using them in non-official torunaments if they set it up to be like that, nor does it mean they're worthless. Out of Print cards are most likely to be worth more than the recent ones eventually to card collectors.

In any case, there have been remakes of some of the original cards (especially the original Charmander line).

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    Exactly. back in the day Charizard was the strongest with 120HP, and Basic monsters (those which evolve anyhow) usually had no more than about 50 HP at maximum. Now it's customary for a basic to have at least 50 HP.

Years
    • Seen Apr 26, 2010
    I haven't played in so long. I used to go into the league when I was a kid and destroy old creepy pedophile dudes. it was goodtimes

Back