• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is the world over populated? Or poorly managed?

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Nov 9, 2021
    I say both. In a way. We pollute and kill or planet everyday and some countries are over populated or have to many of one ethnic group. Im talking about china people. 1.5 billion out of 5.5 billion is a tad much no? I lvoe there country and there customs and everything about them except population.

Doesn't this also explain why China wants to expand its borders so eagerly? ( Tibet, for example )

Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2008
    Actually, if you read my original post, we're not overpopulated at all.

The problem at hand is this: A small percentage of the world's population owns most of the resources. We have the potential to give everyone in the world a decent life-style, but the resources need to be better managed.

The only thing that holds us back is greedy people who take way more than their share of these resources.

Mitchman

Banned
    Years
    But we are. The world is made up of 70% water ad 30% land. Out of the 30% only about 20-25% is habitable and 15-20% is populated.

Years
    • Seen Dec 8, 2023
    So, is the world overcrowded? Is there simply too many human beings on this planet? Could this be a lie? Could the world simply be simply poorly managed? Let's perform some simply mathematics to see.

Let's begin with the world's current population. There are 6,756,108,950 people on the entire planet at the moment I typed this. There's about 57,491,000 square miles of land on the planet.

6,756,108,950/57,491,000 = 117.51594075594440869005583482632,

That rounds to 118. That means that there are about 118 people per square mile on this planet. Almost certainly you can fit more than 118 people in a mile.

Let's move on to housing. An American home, on average, is about 2400 square feet, 3000 with a yard, and there are 27,878,400 square feet in a square mile. 27878400/3000 = 9292.8, rounds to 9300. In one square mile you can fit 9300 average American homes, which are pretty good compared to what the majority of the world lives in.

The United States – It has 3,718,695 square miles of land.

3,718,695 X 9300 = 34,583,863,500

You could fit over 30 billion homes in the United States, meaning 30 billion people, every person has a house to himself, could fit in the United States. Now, cons

The Earth's land area covers 57,491,000 square miles.

57,491,000 X 9200 = 534,666,300,000

Over 500 billion people could fit on the planet and each person can still have a house to himself. That's half a trillion people.
    Now this number gets multiplied by about 5, because homes have 5 people on average. When you do this you can see that about 3,000,000,000,000 people could fit on the planet.

---

So, what do you people think about this?

And where would we produce all the food we need to consume so that we can all survive in our nice homes?

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I'm sure something will come up; 100 years ago humans had only just invented the plane, they would not have thought it possible that men would be in space about 60 years later. I'm sure we will be even more advanced over the next 100 years and we will have found solutions to these problems.

Years
    I live in one of the largest countries in Europe, yet we're only 14 million people (about 2 million here in the big city). Our country is 531,794 km² and the 4th largest country in Europe

Yet it's heavily un-populated if you look at much smaller countries like the UK which has no less than 60 million people

I thought Sweden had something like nine million people when I last checked? ._. I do love how sparsely populated Sweden is though. My father lives there, and when I go on holiday there I love the peace and quiet, even in cities like Helsingborg.

@OP: Where did you get that figure? 57 million km² is more like the area of Eurasia, not all land on Earth. All land on Earth is somewhere nearer 150 milion km².

Tokin

:3
    Years
    • Seen Sep 19, 2009
    Poorly managed, as for overpopulation, it depends on the management itself, a country which is overpopulated is so because that means it can't handle the needs of everyone, it doesn't exactly refer to the number of people living in it, if we improve resource, space and politics management to accommodate the needs of any number of people then there will be no overpopulation, regardless of the number of people living here^^

ErickaVolt

Born to kill.
    Years
    Both, mother nature is poorly managed and the world is overly populated because of lack of education and family planting planning. We don't know as the next years will come the Russians will drop nukes and human race will be erased.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
    What the heck? What next, should we colonize Saturn? Or should we clone Bono?

Why don't you make that your Christmas wish, while you're at it?

Haha, perhaps. Well that's just how I feel about the world. You don't have to like it or agree. I believe that many people out there just aren't deserving of that precious life they've been given. So ungrateful.

GFA

Mega Blastoise is my homeboy
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2018
    ... Obviously. We'll be in a state of no room by 2019.

Years
    It's a combination of both.
    There are way to many breeding grounds here, for god's sake you freaking teenager, stop having sex and do things for your future. Too many people think it would be so easy being a parent, or want to have fun having sex. Well it's not fun when you're in high school and a parent. It will take up a ton of your time, and devour much of your life.
    And there are a ton of idiots out there, who let this happen. This is where the poorly managed part comes in. Things are bad because of both of these, and it's harming living conditions and the economy.
    'Nuff said.

Back