• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there any way i could improve this team? [LG]

Could this team be improved?

• Yes, deffinately.

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Yeah, it sucks.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • No, its great.

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Pikachu is a pimp.

Votes: 1 12.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
Years
  • This isnt really a 'look at my team' post and comment how good it is in an overall rating of 10, but you can do that if you like.

Im just wondering if my team will have problems with any elements due to the Pokémon and stratergies i have chosen.

Anyway, its my team on LeafGreen and i'd like some comments on how i could improve the stratergies i am using.

Team:

Wigglytuff - Docile Nature.
    Moves: Double-edge, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, Shadowball.
    Strategy: Raw Power, elemental weaknesses.

Blastoise - Mild Nature.
    Moves: Icebeam, Surf, Hydrocannon, Hydropump.
    Strategy: Raw Power.

Gengar - Rash Nature.
    Moves: Shadowball, Thunderbolt, Hypnosis, Dreameater.
    Stratergy: Sleep kill.

Ninetales - Modest Nature.
    Moves: Flamethrower, Overheat, Fireblast, Attract.
    Stratergy: Attract kill.

Exeggutor - Bashful Nature.
    Moves: Psychic, Giga Drain, Hypnosis, Dream Eater.

Raichu - Gentle Nature.
    Moves: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Dig.
    Stratergy: Raw Power, Can defeat types usually weak against.

This team is doing okay, its around level 40-45 at this current moment. I need to know if theres any way i could possibly improve it.

Natures maybe... or even different moves?

Thanks in advance.

Clevink

Don't mess with Espeon...
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Wigglytuff- Your team is full of Special Sweepers. A few are okay, but you need those Physical attackers too. Try Machamp > Wigglytuff. Use Cross Chop, Earthquake, Fire Punch, and Rock Slide. (Adamant Nature)

Blastoise- I would replace this with Vaporeon. Get Surf, HP (Hidden Power) Electric, Wish, and Rest/Protect. (Bold Nature). If you're dead set on using Blastoise, I'd use Yawn, Surf, Ice Beam, and Protect. (Bold Nature).

Gengar- Replace Dream Eater with Psychic. (Modest Nature).

Ninetales- He's in the same boat as Blastoise, too many same type moves. Have Flamethrower, Will-O-Wisp, Confuse Ray / Sunny Day, and HP Grass. (Keep the Modest Nature).

Exeggutor- Use Solarbeam, Sleep Powder, Sunny Day, and Psychic. Since you already have a lot of sleepers, you could use Leech Seed instead of Sleep Powder. If you use Sunny Day, take it off Ninetales. Have the Chlorphyll ability with a Modest Nature.

Raichu- You don't really need Raichu, as you already have the Water type covered with Gengar and Exeggutor, so use a tank/physical attacker, Snorlax. Body Slam, Curse, Shadow Ball, and Rest. You could use Return over Body Slam, but I like Body Slam because of it's chance to paralyze. Adamant Nature.

*Waits for shanecdavis*

Last edited:

Skaterzpenguin

Vulpix!? In my backyard!? :D
    Years
    • WI
    • Seen Feb 14, 2013
    Yeah your ninetales and blastoise know too many fire and water moves, so lets decrease that into sum other moves... Also get rid of riachu or wigglytuff to add a physical fighter just like Clevink said and get a machamp or a hitmonchan maybe too.

Otherwise the looks of your team now I give a 7/10 ;]

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • Okay, i am happy to teach Blastoise Yawn if thats the case. I could also replace it with Starmie and try get it to learn: Psychic, Thunderbolt, Recover, ______. I'd have to get Psychic from a friend, though.

On the matter of Gengar, i've already used TM Psychic on Exeggutor and i think Dream Eater is useful for getting any lost hp back.

Wigglytuff - Yeah, i'd be glad to replace it with a physical move user such as Machamp.

Im mostly a fan of special sweepers for some reason, but thats just my style. ^^

Oh and yeah, Raichu is sort of my favourite Pokémon so i don't think i could part with it since i EV trained it quite abit and such.

Also how do i get Hidden Power to be of a certain element, i thought it depends on the location that its used at?

Clevink

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Surf on Starmie. Also consider putting Ice Beam > Recover. Dream Eater really isn't nearly as good as Psychic is, but it's your game, so go for it. If you don't want to part with Raichu, then use Thunderbolt, HP Grass, Thunder Wave, and Quick Attack / Slam. And I may be mixing this up with Gen III games, but can't you get a Psychic TM from either the Celadon Mart or the Game Corner?

Also, you're getting Hidden Power mixed up with Secret Power. Take a look here: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123138 for a Hidden Power guide.

Edit: My mistake. You can only get Ice Beam in the Game Corner.

Last edited:

FrostyFroslass

Icy Coordinator
    Years
    • IN
    • Seen Oct 18, 2013
    Instead of ninetales put a blaziken or rapidash

Blaziken: brick break overheat sky uppercut and fire blast

Rapidash: Flamethrower Fire Blast Stomp Overheat

Clevink

Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2014
    Instead of ninetales put a blaziken or rapidash

Blaziken: brick break overheat sky uppercut and fire blast

Rapidash: Flamethrower Fire Blast Stomp Overheat

The problem with your movesets are the same problems as were in his first ones. While there is more diversity, most of the moves are the same type. What happens when he's used Overheat, killing his Special Attack? The other fire moves become useless. Fire Blast is pretty much useless anyway, with it's crap accuracy. A good moveset for Blaziken would be Earthquake, Sky Uppercut, Bulk Up, and Rock Slide. Rapidash isn't very good, not saying Blaziken is awesome, but the best would be (from a gamefaqs moveset guide: Solarbeam, Sunny Day, Flamethrower, Hypnosis).

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    dont use a blaziken with that type of moveset or the rapidash just b/c their movesets are very limited 2 fighting moves and 2 fire moves on one pokemon is just not good i can understand if you choose a Adamant blaziken with overheat and use the other three as physical moves but its more of a hasstle than some ppl want stick with the ninetales like clevink said it will work great.

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    This should probably be in, and will probably eventually bemoved to, the Strategies & Movesets section, but since I am not a Mod, I will go ahead and respond. First of all, it is good to see you are at least attempting good type coverage. Your movesets and strategies however need a little work. I am not saying they won't be effective against the weak in-game AI though. As your team is presently constituted you probably won't have much trouble, but that lends itself more to just how bad the in-game AI is and the bad strategies that it teaches. Try that team against against someone competitively and you are toast, burnt toast without any butter or jam to at least cover up the aftertaste.

Anyways, if you are looking to employ solid strategies, fixes/suggestions are in bold:
    This isnt really a 'look at my team' post and comment how good it is in an overall rating of 10, but you can do that if you like.

Im just wondering if my team will have problems with any elements due to the Pokémon and stratergies i have chosen.

Anyway, its my team on LeafGreen and i'd like some comments on how i could improve the stratergies i am using.

Team:

Wigglytuff
    Trait: Cute Charm
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Def / 252 SDef
    Quiet[/B] Nature (+SAtk, -Spd)
    Moves: Double-Edge, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt, Wish
    Strategy: Raw Power, elemental weaknesses.

Most people don't like Wigglytuff. I am not one of them. It's high HP allows it to take some hits while it dishes out attacks and sets up Wish for its teammates. A STAB Double-Edge hurts.

Blastoise
    Trait: Torrrent
    EVs: 252 HP / 148 Def / 68 SAtk / 40 Spd
    Bold
    Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    Moves: Ice Beam, Surf, Mirror Coat, Toxic
    Strategy: Raw Power.

Three Water moves on Blastoise is totally unnecessary and only prevents it from being more versatile. Mirror Coat allows Blastoise to come in against Electric-types and KO them. Toxic is a GREAT disabler in-game since the weak AI will never switch out. Its EVs and nature allow it to tank a bit on the physical side.

Gengar
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 160 Atk / 170 SAtk / 180 Spd
    Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
    Moves: Giga Drain/Psychic, Thunderbolt, Hypnosis, Focus Punch/Explosion.

Really don't bother with Dream Eater, as it only works with the Pokemon asleep. You need to be able to attack even with your opponent awake. Giga Drain takes advantage of Gengar's high base SAtk and is great for HP recovery. Psychic is pretty self-explanatory. Focus Punch destroys sleeping Pokemon better than DE, and Explosion is last resort.

Ninetales - Modest Nature.
    Moves: Flamethrower, Overheat, Fireblast, Attract.
    Stratergy: Attract kill.

Fire-types are very over-rated, especially in-game where you won't be facing walls like Skarmory. Drop this immediately for a better Pokemon.

Exeggutor - Bashful Nature.
    Moves: Psychic, Giga Drain, Hypnosis, Dream Eater.

Gengar does this better, drop it for a more versatile Pokemon, or an HP slave.

Raichu - Gentle Nature.
    Moves: Thunder, Thunderbolt, Iron Tail, Dig.
    Stratergy: Raw Power, Can defeat types usually weak against.

Note that nearly all Raiichu users only use it because it they like it personally. While that may be admirable, Jolteon or Electabuzz are much better.

This team is doing okay, its around level 40-45 at this current moment. I need to know if theres any way i could possibly improve it.

Natures maybe... or even different moves?

Thanks in advance.
    To round out your team better, I offer the following suggestions:

Crobat @ Choice Band
    Trait: Inner Focus
    EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 178 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Aerial Ace
    - Return/Iron Tail
    - Shadow Ball
    - Sludge Bomb

Two STAB attacks are great, and the 150% Atk increase is nothing to sneeze at. Switch out against something it is weak against and bring it back later, although this can OHKO Alakazam on the switch. Very versatile, VERY fast.

Butterfree
    Trait: Compoundeyes
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psybeam/Psychic
    - Sleep Powder
    - Stun Spore
    - Whirlwind/Toxic

Laugh if you must, but due to its trait, Butterfree is a great lead. Compoundeyes causes Sleep Powder and Stun Spore to be 105% accurate. that is a great disabling move, and since the weak AI refuses to switch, you are able to switch yourself to a Pokemon that can easily take the opponent down. Whirlwind allows you to blow away the sleepy Pokemon for the next Sleep Powder victim. Butterfree can learn Psybeam on its own or you can teach it Psychic for the added power. You must max Spd EVs and give Spd Nature though to give it the best chance at attacking first. Again, this is your lead. It really has no other usefulness. I enjoy having it on my team for its versatility and abusing the AI stupidity.

Electabuzz
    Trait: Static
    EVs: 84 HP / 208 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Mild Nature (+SAtk, -Def)
    - Cross Chop
    - Fire Punch/Ice Punch
    - Substitute
    - Thunderbolt

This set requires breeding, so if you have another cart, I would breed it first. If you don't, choose Jolteon or Magneton instead. This set takes advantage of Electabuzz' well-rounded stats. When used in conjunction with Butterfree, after the opponent is asleep, you switch to Electabuzz and put up a Sub. Now you are free to sweep. Raichu can SubPunch, which is better than SubChop, but Electabuzz has more versatile moves.

Good luck.

Kozoi

Mmmmm.
    Years
  • Okay thanks guys.

My team isn't really competative battling, its more of battling AI's since its on Leaf Green.

I'm usually quite good at playing in all, despite sometimes i run through the game with just one Pokémon like last month i beat lg with just Pikachu.

Lol! Anyway, i think ill have to be getting rid of my Raichu for an Electabuzz anyway. ^^

Years
    • Seen Jun 30, 2010
    Wigglytuff - Special sweeping Wiggly is a terrible idea, Champ is a legit suggestion
    Blastoise - Too many attacks of the smae type, get rid of either Pump or Cannon, If you're looking for a sweeper, I'd recomend Starmie
    Gengar - Looks fine, maybe drop DE for psychic, or not, whatever
    Ninetails - drop fireblast for sure, try confuse ray instead, overheat could become wil o wisp
    Exeggutor - dont have more than one Dream Eater, give it leech seed
    Raichu - Get rid of thunder for the move Lt. Surge gives you (shockwave?) Go with something more accurate over iron tail, preferably something that is stroger against more types too, steel isn't a good attack type, could it learn earthquake instead of dig?

Edit: don't get buzz, yes he as well rounded stats, but they're not good. Raichu is better overall as a mixed attacker, it's faster. If you want a sweeper Jolteon is the best option, magneton is an absolutely disgusting wall (resists 11 types, I think). Magneton is probably the best option for this team, you lack bulkiness.

Last edited:

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Edit: don't get buzz, yes he as well rounded stats, but they're not good. Raichu is better overall as a mixed attacker, it's faster. If you want a sweeper Jolteon is the best option, magneton is an absolutely disgusting wall (resists 11 types, I think). Magneton is probably the best option for this team, you lack bulkiness.
    That is incorrect. Unless their stats have changed in DPP, Electabuzz has higher SAtk (95 vs. 90) and Spd (105 vs. 100). It also has a much more diverse movepool. Electabuzz can also be used in OU while Raichu cannot or at least should not. Jolteon is nothing of a mixed sweeper and while Maggie excels in competitive play, its moveset is limited in-game. Electabuzz is the best for in-game play against the weak AI.

Tyranitar042

Tyranitar King
    Years
    • Age 34
    • US
    • Seen Feb 15, 2013
    yes electabuzz is faster and has a slightly higher spatk but the defense is lower and so is the atk but not by much and electabuzz is a great choice as a special sweeper and cross chop is good mainly b/c it has a high critical hit ratio and not to mention that its already strong by itself he would be THE CHOICE srry but i still go with shanecdavis ebuzz is a better choice.(depending on nature and ev training of course)

shanecdavis

Prof. Davis
    Years
    • Age 52
    • Utah
    • Seen Jul 27, 2010
    Nope. Electabuzz has higher defenses too, although comparing defenses with Electric-types is about as pointless as comparing who has the better defense between the KC Chiefs and Detroit Lions. The main difference between Electabuzz with Cross Chop and Raichu with Focus Punch, is that while Raichu has the potential for more damage, Electabuzz can inflict more consistent damage as Focus Punch will NEVER attack first and will not attack at all if its focus is broken by an attack of its opponent. That pretty much follows the thinking that a 95 AP move that is 100% accurate is better than a 120 AP move that is only 80%.

Last edited:

BeachBoy

S P A R K of madness
    Years
  • My team isn't really competative battling, its more of battling AI's since its on Leaf Green.
    As we say all the time, anything works ingame. If this was for competitive battling, it wouldn't of even met our S&M requirements. Hey, if you want to win ingame, level up and do what you want. But it's not allowed, locking~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back