• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there anything about the main series games you'd change?

Sirfetch’d

The title is pretty straightforward. Is there anything in the main series of Pokemon games that you'd like to see changed in the future? Do you want the story to take a shift from the traditional one? Would you like to see more breeding changes perhaps? Would you like to see new methods of evolutions? Is there anything about the battle format that could be improved on? Discuss!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
    I've already chimed in on subjects like this on many occasions, so I hope people don't mind if I repeat myself :P
    • The most obvious one: let Pokémon forget HM moves, there's no point in making those moves permanent anymore with the HMs always present in the player's bag.
    • I'd advocate for more differences between versions:

• I liked the more pronounced ones in B/W (especially the two forms of Opelucid City) , and I hope they go beyond that. There's a lot of potential in having two versions and being able to make them different. You could have the same region, but with two versions providing two completely different paths. Or the stories in two versions that start exactly the same way, but diverge completely by the end.
      • We now have over 700 species of Pokémon. It would be cool to have not simply version exclusives, but completely different faunas in both versions: imagine the first route that has Rattata, Sentret, Pidgey and Spearow in one version and Zigzagoon, Patrat, Starly and Hoothoot in the other; a first cave that has Geodude, Machop and Woobat in one version and Roggenrola, Timburr and Zubat in the other etc.
    • I know, it's a dumb complaint, but I'm a little OCD when it comes to the Pokédex, so, here goes: either downgrade ALL of the Event Exclusives to simple legendary Pokémon or reorganize the National Pokédex by removing them from the numbered list. They can't be caught at all in a game that has "Gotta Catch'em All" for a slogan, therefore they have nothing to do on that list.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Can we do this with Castform too please??

Sure, but Castform is just the perfect Hoenn Pokemon with its weather gimmick. :( Oh man, that is weird to think about, though. Castform in gen I with no weather? wtf would it do? Haha.

Sirfetch’d

Sure, but Castform is just the perfect Hoenn Pokemon with its weather gimmick. :( Oh man, that is weird to think about, though. Castform in gen I with no weather? wtf would it do? Haha.

Oh right :'( We could uhhh just swap Hoenn and Kanto altogether, weather and all!

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    I'd advocate for more differences between versions

I could get behind this. Version exclusives weren't ever enough to make me buy an alternative version. Especially now with wifi/GTS etc.

Sirfetch’d

I could get behind this. Version exclusives weren't ever enough to make me buy an alternative version. Especially now with wifi/GTS etc.

Something like the Gym Leader differences for the last gym in Black and White? Or do you mean something on a larger scale?

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Something like the Gym Leader differences for the last gym in Black and White? Or do you mean something on a larger scale?

Ideally, on a larger scale. I'm thinking more differences in storyline. Where buying the alternative version means you see another side to the story or characters rather than switching the legendaries and rival gangs around. I really did like some of the changes in Black and White though so more of that would be nice to see. Black and White made me consider more than which legendary I wanted.

Mapleseruhp

Author Maple
    Years
    Yes, if I were given the skills neccesary to change things while still having a very good pokemon brand, i'd change many things. First of all, we gotta raise that level cap to around 150 to keep players playing longer. This can also help in making bigger and therefore better versions. I'd also replace HM moves with key items but the move would still be an offensive attack while not actually doing anything out of battle.

sirboulevard

Apricorn Maniac
    Years
    Yes, if I were given the skills neccesary to change things while still having a very good pokemon brand, i'd change many things. First of all, we gotta raise that level cap to around 150 to keep players playing longer. This can also help in making bigger and therefore better versions. I'd also replace HM moves with key items but the move would still be an offensive attack while not actually doing anything out of battle.

I'm more of the mindset of temporarily overcapping the level cap. So while 100 is a permanent level, you can theoretically go up to 120, but for every level over 100, you lose 1 level every two days you do not play the game. This lets you past the 100 hard limit, but its also like being a body builder, if you don't maintain it constantly you will lose it.

classiccartoonsftw

Nintendo is for awesome people
    Years
    • Seen Jan 18, 2017
    I'd get rid of HM's. Here's how I would handle them:

Cut - Key item: Axe
    Fly - Can be done by flying Pokemon that can carry humans on their back
    Surf - Can be done by Water type Pokemon that can carry humans on their back
    Strength - Can be done by strong Pokemon
    Flash - Key item: Lighter
    Whirlpool - Get rid of those altogether
    Waterfall - Can be done by strong Water type Pokemon
    Rock Smash - Key item: Pickaxe
    Dive - Key item: Diving Gear
    Defog - Can be done by Pokemon with wings (or wing-like arms, like Shiftry)
    Rock Climb - Key item: Climbing Gear

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
    I just want more postgame stuff to do, like another storyline, more area to explore and awesome features like the Battle Frontier and PWT and then combine a couple or all of these ideas into what feels like a whole other game but a little more condensed. I want my postgame to last a little while before I feel like starting a new playthrough. Most times when I finish the main storyline, there is about 30 minutes of fun stuff to do and then it gets old and I'm ready to start over again or not play for months at a time.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    As was previously said, I'd replace most of the HM's with key items. Fly and Surf would be learnt by Pokemon who can fly or swim without the requirement of the HM move itself. There would still be a badge requirement, so it can be seen like training the Pokemon to safely ride a person on its back as it wasn't used to it on the wild?

I think it would be nice to have the tournaments from the anime. One would have to win the conference in order to challenge the Elite Four. I'm not sure if others will like this idea, though. The contests could be given more emphasis and have a Grand Festival-esque sort of event which could be sorta like a tournament, but I'm not sure how they could pull it off.

Back