• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is there other life in the Universe?

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
  • I read in an article that according to mathematics their should be at least a billion planets with life spread out though the cosmos (the cosmos is big so 3 billion is pretty diluted in the great space of Space).

TheMysteryEgg

Pokemon Breeder and Fuzer
    Years
  • The problem is that if they meet us first, they could just destroy humanity and colonize Earth. If we find them first, they might be freaked out by us and may decide to destroy us. I mean, maybe none of the other life forms want to find some other life form, they probably feel better if they think they are the only form in the universe. What would we do if we met another life form out there?

Gulpin

poisonous
    Years
    • Seen Jan 16, 2017
    I believe that there is probably tons of life somewhere else in the universe. If someone thinks that we are to only life-bearing planet, that someone is very self-centered just due to the fact that there are so many other planets that there almost has to be another life-bearing planet out there. Plus, the universe just continually repeats itself, so somewhere (or multiple somewheres) there ought to be a planet very similar to earth. However, I don't believe that aliens have ever visited earth (and had been documented) because all documentation of 'aliens' have been with them having similar features to humans and every being on earth (two eyes with a nose and mouth centerd below them), which would be highly unlikely, because since everthing on earth shares this feature it points to the fact that all living beings on earth have the same roots, which probably wouldn't be the same as living beings on another planet.

tl;dr - yes, I think life exists beyond earth.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    It's not really of any concern to me; but oh how hasty people are to show evidence supporting the notion of extraterrestrial life as though it is a good thing we should look forward to...

When we put our heads together and tried to list everything we could say with certainty about other civilizations, without having actually met them, all that we knew boiled down to three simple laws of alien behavior:

THEIR SURVIVAL WILL BE MORE IMPORTANT THAN OUR SURVIVAL.
    If an alien species has to choose between them and us, they won't choose us. It is difficult to imagine a contrary case; species don't survive by being self-sacrificing.

WIMPS DON'T BECOME TOP DOGS.
    No species makes it to the top by being passive. The species in charge of any given planet will be highly intelligent, alert, aggressive, and ruthless when necessary.

THEY WILL ASSUME THAT THE FIRST TWO LAWS APPLY TO US.
    From Atomic Rockets.
    Thus, lest this hold true, I hope we don't have the deal with intelligent aliens.

Last edited:

lx_theo

Game Developer
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2013
    Of course, if life could happen here, there's a very high chance it happened at least one other place if not many more.

Now, given the size of the universe, I'd suspect that the chances of ...

1. Our civilization's existence happening at the same time as the others

2. Us actually finding anything else in our civilization's timeframe

... would be much lower.

Years
  • Hmm, I had your theory in my head a while ago while I was bored and thought about it.

But in my opinion saying "there must be aliens" or "humans can't be the only life form on the universe" etc etc etc is no better than the theist arguments like "see how X and Y are connected?" "They were punished by gawd almighty!!!fhgfdjghdfjk" etc etc etc.

I'm an atheist, if you didn't figure yet.

Years
  • I respect these statements, and in a way, I could see why that you would have a negative mindset over such general statements such as those you've just mentioned.

The reason why I said what I said, is actually pretty difficult for me to word myself. In such a vast universe as this, one really has to think: How exactly is it that we're the only life forms with a beating heart, lungs, a sophisticated brain and advanced language communication in the whole entire universe? How is it that Earth is the only planet(as far as we know anyway) with living, breathing, thriving animals? I tend to believe that there really has to be another place just like Earth out there, in another galaxy or somewhere, right?
    I've already heard that, and that is what I meant with the stupid theist reasoning. Yeah I know both come from an entirely different place, but both end with a "So god/aliens exists" feel.

I can give you lots of events that (actually I have none in my disposal, but you can find lots of crazy ones in the internet) that you can say "whoa there's a connection, theres no way that coulda happen like that, god probably exists" and your argument pretty much says "whoa no way humans are the only life in the universe, there must be something else, aliens probably exist".
    Practically the same conclusion.

I respect yours but yeah that's what I think about them. And I know that mindset because as I said, I thought of previously.

Virgilia

Chronos.
    Years
  • I think there are possibly small amoeba like things out there, but not like "alien-martian" things, you know? Something more realistic.

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
  • I can honestly say I have no idea whatsoever. I won't deny the possibility, though.

aruchan

I resent the title beginner :D
    Years
    • Seen Oct 30, 2011
    It's all illusory you know. You're just a brain in a jar, maybe two.

Years
  • I think there are possibly small amoeba like things out there, but not like "alien-martian" things, you know? Something more realistic.

How would other humanoid aliens not be realistic? The dripping bloodthirsty monsters with multiple heads, eyes and appendages are no more realistic than humanoid aliens. Until we find some, other than ameoba's, we'll have to guess. :/

Lily

◕ ‿‿ ◕ double rainbow.
    Years
  • I don't know, but I sure hope there are. Makes things interesting~

I don't have anything scientific/smart to put in here so uh. ;_;

Years

IIRC, there were some small, single celled bacteria found on Mars and the Moon a few years back, but they were fossilized/dead. Not to mention, we have ice on the poles on Mars. Hmmm.

Trigaradon

I COME IN PEACE
    Years
    • Seen Sep 15, 2011
    Given how gigantic the universe is, I think there's a VERY high chance of it.

Aura Rift

Mantle of flame
    Years
  • I read in an article that according to mathematics their should be at least a billion planets with life spread out though the cosmos (the cosmos is big so 3 billion is pretty diluted in the great space of Space).

Yes I heard that aswell, to bad we wont know for sure until we develop some better form of space travel, unforturtunately the humans of our era will never make discoveries like that, we'll all be long dead before our incompetent species makes revelations like that, Stupid Humanity :(

Also I maybe wrong but I believe we did find some sort of bug like creature on mars, but as of technololigy today we're not going to get any closer to finding aliens.

Reck

?????
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Ohio
    • Seen Jul 22, 2016
    It would be very narrow minded to think that we're the only life form out there, however I do not think that we have ever been visited by these other life forms, for two reasons, one, if they were able to reach us why wouldnt they take our resources? And second if they have that kind of technology they'd gain very little from watching us. But in all rights there is more life out there, after all believe it or not there are literally millions of inhabitable planets in space.

Rich Boy Rob

"Fezzes are cool." The Doctor
    Years
    • Seen Mar 15, 2016
    One flaw. How many have we found that could support life out of how many we have seen. I don't life exists elsewhere.

Check out Gliese 581 g. It is placed firmly in the habitable zone of a red dwarf star, is somewhat larger than earth and has conditions that mean the presence of water is probable.
    Scientists have said it is not only possible for earth-like life to be there, but probable.
    And all this is based on the assumption that life can only develop in the same conditions we have. Which is very unlikely.

Anyway, as you can probably tell, I believe that there is other life in the universe. The fact that we exist proves that abiogenesis is possible, so claiming that it will happen/has happened only once is somewhat ignorant.

ZeviL

Nihilist
    Years
  • Mankind is infantile. On a cosmic scale, we are tadpoles. We have no ability to understand OURSELVES, much less the finite, infinite, and deepest inner workings of the galactic and universal stage. What we call atoms, something out there most likely calls flatulence.

We have no way to verify it. We have no way to disprove it. Thus, it cannot be wholly denied or proven by our infantile sciences. Yes, out "infantile" sciences. Just because we can explain something in life to our own comfort zone, means little to the infinite cosmos. It's a blanket we alone wear.

Thus, I choose to ASSUME, yes, that life exists outside our "man dominated, one sided delusion of dominion".

The mere fact that animals known to our science exist that can live in vacuum proves that life can and does get around. We are simply too short lived, and too technologically inferior to our own delusion, to be able, as a race, to accept we just don't know, and most likely will not, for eons to come.

The Drake Equation actually proves that ET is highly possible and common in the universe. Theoretical physicists Michio Kaku argues that ET can be possible. We don't see ET because we only scanned 100 light years away from Earth. Consider his lamp post analogy. When someone lost his key, he stands near a lamp post to look for it. However, a nearby person would say, "why did you stand there, when your key is dropped right here?" The guy near the lamp post would say, "well, because there's no light over there, so I will look over here." It's the same thing as looking for ET: we have to use a source to look for something. However, our technology is too primitive. In SETI, we can only detect the frequency of hydrogen in the galaxy for incoming messages. Kaku said that most highly advanced civilizations can send messages from all frequencies so a passing star will not interrupt the entire message. This means that if we ever received their messages, and since we can only detect the hydrogen frequency, we would read nonsense or gibberish. Thus, we can be in the middle of a intergalactic conversation and we might not even know. Ancient astronauts and UFOs could be from highly advanced civilizations. He says the reason why we think ETs don't reach us is that we assume their technology is only 100 more advanced than us. True. Yet, we don't assume ETs are Type 3 civilizations (millions of years more advanced than us). "That's a mistake," says Michio Kaku. It is possible that type 3 civilizations existed in far corners of the universe and visited us before.

Consider the Fermi Paradox, which criticizes the Drake Equation: if extraterrestrial civilizations are common in the universe, where are they? Where is everybody? Surely if any highly advanced civilization is out there, they can easily reach us by using hyperspace travel and detecting our signals.

Michio Kaku replies to the Fermi Paradox, saying Type 3s don't come here because we simply aren't interesting to them. He argues that we cannot be arrogant in that we assume they must come here and give us some of their super technology. Right, they will ignore and drop all their important businesses just to come here and give us some of their trinkets. That's just silly to believe. For example, consider the ant hill and the city. The comparison between a type 3 and a type 0 civilization is the same as the comparison between an urban city and an ant hill. First of all, the ant will obviously don't know what a city is, just as we don't know what the UFOs are. Second of all, when a man sees an ant, will he say to the ant, "take my to your leader, as I will grant you guys with super technology and knowledge: I will bring you beans, I will bring you stellar energy, DNA technology, and immortality"? No, he will simply crush on a few of them, or at least ignore them and continue with his own business. Aliens may have visited us before, but never bothered to return because we're simply not interesting to them.

Personally, I believe there are probably plenty of type 0 civilizations and maybe one or two type 3 civilizations across the universe. Most ETs don't reach us simply because their technology is just as primitive as or lower than us (not being able to go faster than the speed of light or ripping space-time for hyperspace-travel, for example). Therefore, the fact that we don't see ETs is simply because many ETs out there are probably less advanced than us and couldn't get to us with their primitive technology. Maybe they have only survived their first ice age. I think this is a better argument, as it could argue why we don't see ETs out there and why ETs exist in the universe.

^SuitUp^

Awesome Soon to be Spriter
    Years
    • Seen Feb 14, 2012
    Its hard to tell, since space is supposedly infinite its more than possible.

Back