• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Is this a good PC?

Morkula

[b][color=#356F93]Get in the Game[/color][/b]
Years
  • For gaming that's not good at all - the video card is really bad, and to upgrade it you'd need to buy a new power supply as well since that one isn't even going to begin to power a decent card.

Your best option is to build a PC yourself. It's actually really simple to do - picking the parts and ensuring compatibility is the hardest part, but there are plenty of resources available online to help you, and I'm sure there are plenty of us here that could guide you in that as well.

For gaming the most important component is a really good video card, which will also likely be the most expensive component of your system...I'd recommend something like the GeForce 760, which is about $250, or if you can spring for a 770 that would even be better.

I paid about $700 total for the desktop I built last year, and it can run anything I throw at it. I'll probably be looking at upgrading the video card at some point this year, but the good thing about desktops is that they're upgradable to the point that you can make them last for 5+ years and still get good performance.

Legendary Silke

[I][B]You like dragons?[/B][/I]
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2021
    So i've started playing on PC more than console but my laptop can't handle games i want to play so i've been looking for a PC but I don't know what's good or bad so I was looking and saw this my friend said to check it out: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220338 Don't know if it good or not.

For gaming that's not good at all - the video card is really bad, and to upgrade it you'd need to buy a new power supply as well since that one isn't even going to begin to power a decent card.

Your best option is to build a PC yourself. It's actually really simple to do - picking the parts and ensuring compatibility is the hardest part, but there are plenty of resources available online to help you, and I'm sure there are plenty of us here that could guide you in that as well.

For gaming the most important component is a really good video card, which will also likely be the most expensive component of your system...I'd recommend something like the GeForce 760, which is about $250, or if you can spring for a 770 that would even be better.

I paid about $700 total for the desktop I built last year, and it can run anything I throw at it. I'll probably be looking at upgrading the video card at some point this year, but the good thing about desktops is that they're upgradable to the point that you can make them last for 5+ years and still get good performance.

Out of curiosity, what are the games you're planning to play? What is the native resolution of your monitor/TV?

Either way, when shopping for a new PC and/or its components, it never hurts to check the prices from multiple online and/or local retailers. You should try your best in getting the best possible deal.

For moderate gaming needs, an Ivy Bridge/Haswell Pentium/Core i3 should be more than enough for everything, and you should also throw in a "budget" NVIDIA GeForce video card if you intend to play video games on medium settings at HD resolutions (think 1280x720 or 1366x768). A nice rule of thumb about GPUs: if the second digit of a video card's GPU number is less than a "4" for a current-generation GPU, don't bother about playing this and last year's games on it... in HD, at least.

You should also think about spending a little bit extra to get a Seagate Desktop SSHD or maybe a bit more than that extra to get a small boot/cache SSD. They work wonders in giving a PC the "new system" feel. Seeing as you intend to play games, you're going to need a HDD of some sort somewhere if you don't want to end up clearing out games rather frequently (the SSHD counts as a HDD). An optical drive is also advisable if you don't rely on downloads only.

Just remember that if you build your own PC, you'll have multiple companies to deal with should any one component fail - you can't send the entire PC for obvious reasons.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm pretty much a parrot at this point, but I'd say it's a good PC only if you put a graphics card built for today's standards in it.. other than that, probably not.

And as Morkula said, you are most definitely better off building your own system at this point if you can, especially if it's for gaming. You can use your own RAM, your own GPU, your own processor, and your own SSD/HDD/SSHD if you choose to build your own computer at this point.

KingCharizard

C++ Developer Extraordinaire
    Years
  • So i've started playing on PC more than console but my laptop can't handle games i want to play so i've been looking for a PC but I don't know what's good or bad so I was looking and saw this my friend said to check it out: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883220338 Don't know if it good or not.

IMHO your best option is to build a PC, I was looking into building one at around $600. Quad core, 3.0 - 3.6 overclocked, crossfire capable, 1tb hd, and I would only have to have spend like $600 after shipping and tax, you have to shop smart use more than one PC retailer for example, newegg, amazon, tigerdirect..

Its not hard to build a PC, so dont let that sway you from thinking about it. if you can use legos you can build a pc. Look at some youtube videos if you need a kick in the right direction...

Pikachuie

Go Seahawks!
    Years
  • IMHO your best option is to build a PC, I was looking into building one at around $600. Quad core, 3.0 - 3.6 overclocked, crossfire capable, 1tb hd, and I would only have to have spend like $600 after shipping and tax, you have to shop smart use more than one PC retailer for example, newegg, amazon, tigerdirect..

Its not hard to build a PC, so dont let that sway you from thinking about it. if you can use legos you can build a pc. Look at some youtube videos if you need a kick in the right direction...

Yeah i'm gonna see if i can get some parts on my brithday because my moms boyfriend can help me build it. Thanks guys :)

Back